Sciencemadness Discussion Board
Not logged in [Login - Register]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
 Pages:  1    3
Author: Subject: Luminous Glowing Bacteria - Homemade!!
Morgan
International Hazard

[*] posted on 11-12-2012 at 08:14

I remember camping in the mountains near Mt. Hood zipping up my tent at night and happening to look down at a vivid green light coming out of a perhaps 3 inch wide hole in the ground. It really startled me and I froze for an instant trying to make sense of it. I had just pitched the tent that day with my girlfriend and was so close to the ground pulling the zipper the rest of the way to the floor and there was this beam of green light just a foot from the tent. The rotted wood was not very far from the surface of the soil a few inches down. I dug the dirt away and collected a few pieces of this wood. Even in the day you could cup your hands around a chunk and make out the green light. It lived for several days after I returned home, being kept moist in some damp paper towels.
scottjm
Harmless

Mood: Recrystallizing

[*] posted on 29-6-2013 at 16:02

Quote: Originally posted by peach  
Not a bacteria, but here's Mycena luxaeterna from the mushroom kingdom doing it out in the wild.

Wow, those look crazy cool!
Are they legal to cultivate, or are the psychoactive?
scottjm
Harmless

Mood: Recrystallizing

[*] posted on 30-6-2013 at 16:09

I found out that those mushrooms would be legal to cultivate as they have no psychoactive compounds in them, but they are very hard to grow.
dontasker
Harmless

Mood: Plopping

[*] posted on 10-8-2013 at 09:44

I purchased a culture of Panellus stipticus from SporeWorks a few years back. I was afraid to buy it at first due to their selling spores of magic mushrooms, but figured I wasn't really doing anything illegal.

I inoculated some wood chips (hickory, I think) and let it grow. It never fruited and I didn't see any signs of luminescence, so I put in in a cabinet to keep it away from contamination.

Completely forgot about it for a couple months. When I checked on it again the mycelium was colonizing most of the wood. It was also starting to produce a very faint, greenish glow.

There's something almost magical about it. Fireflies always fascinated me, but there was a logical reason for their using it for communication. A fungus. on the other hand, defies all explanation.
Morgan
International Hazard

[*] posted on 10-8-2013 at 16:39

Panellus stipticus
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rezwma4MOn8
List of bioluminescent fungi
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_bioluminescent_fungi

[Edited on 11-8-2013 by Morgan]
JAVA
Hazard to Self

[*] posted on 20-5-2014 at 11:15

Another easy way to achieve glowing is inserting the genetic code that produces GFP in E. coli

first disk: +pGLO/LB/amp
second disk: +pGLO/LB/amp/ara

The two others are blanco's
3. -pGLO/LB/amp
4. -pGLO/LB

LB is a specific medium for G- bacteria, like E.coli

Small question: is it possible to get luminous glowing bacteria that are glowing spontaneously during the day e.a. with luciferin ?

ScreenHunter_41 May. 20 20.15.jpg - 15kB
 Pages:  1    3

Go To Top