Sciencemadness Discussion Board
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
 Pages:  1    3
Author: Subject: Luminous Glowing Bacteria - Homemade!!
Morgan
International Hazard

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 11-12-2012 at 08:14

I remember camping in the mountains near Mt. Hood zipping up my tent at night and happening to look down at a vivid green light coming out of a perhaps 3 inch wide hole in the ground. It really startled me and I froze for an instant trying to make sense of it. I had just pitched the tent that day with my girlfriend and was so close to the ground pulling the zipper the rest of the way to the floor and there was this beam of green light just a foot from the tent. The rotted wood was not very far from the surface of the soil a few inches down. I dug the dirt away and collected a few pieces of this wood. Even in the day you could cup your hands around a chunk and make out the green light. It lived for several days after I returned home, being kept moist in some damp paper towels.
scottjm
Harmless

Mood: Recrystallizing

[*] posted on 29-6-2013 at 16:02

Quote: Originally posted by peach  
Not a bacteria, but here's Mycena luxaeterna from the mushroom kingdom doing it out in the wild.

Wow, those look crazy cool!
Are they legal to cultivate, or are the psychoactive?
scottjm
Harmless

Mood: Recrystallizing

[*] posted on 30-6-2013 at 16:09

I found out that those mushrooms would be legal to cultivate as they have no psychoactive compounds in them, but they are very hard to grow.
dontasker
Harmless

Mood: Plopping

[*] posted on 10-8-2013 at 09:44

I purchased a culture of Panellus stipticus from SporeWorks a few years back. I was afraid to buy it at first due to their selling spores of magic mushrooms, but figured I wasn't really doing anything illegal.

I inoculated some wood chips (hickory, I think) and let it grow. It never fruited and I didn't see any signs of luminescence, so I put in in a cabinet to keep it away from contamination.

Completely forgot about it for a couple months. When I checked on it again the mycelium was colonizing most of the wood. It was also starting to produce a very faint, greenish glow.

There's something almost magical about it. Fireflies always fascinated me, but there was a logical reason for their using it for communication. A fungus. on the other hand, defies all explanation.
Morgan
International Hazard

[*] posted on 10-8-2013 at 16:39

Panellus stipticus
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rezwma4MOn8
List of bioluminescent fungi
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_bioluminescent_fungi

[Edited on 11-8-2013 by Morgan]
JAVA
Hazard to Self

[*] posted on 20-5-2014 at 11:15

Another easy way to achieve glowing is inserting the genetic code that produces GFP in E. coli

first disk: +pGLO/LB/amp
second disk: +pGLO/LB/amp/ara

The two others are blanco's
3. -pGLO/LB/amp
4. -pGLO/LB

LB is a specific medium for G- bacteria, like E.coli

Small question: is it possible to get luminous glowing bacteria that are glowing spontaneously during the day e.a. with luciferin ?

ScreenHunter_41 May. 20 20.15.jpg - 15kB
Pumukli
National Hazard

[*] posted on 9-11-2017 at 06:29
Not only fish but chicken also can work!

A few days ago one of my friends had bought a few chicken drumsticks at a local store. (Tesco)
At home he forgot to put the bag containing the chicken parts into the fridge but put them on a table instead in a cold building where his fridge is.
After say 24 hours incubation in the cold (12-15 Celsius) he entered that storage room in the following evening and to his surprise he found the chicken bag emitting eerie green light on the top of the table! According to his storytelling the light was visible enough to catch his attention so he did not switched on the light.
He was frightened and shocked and everything you can imagine a layman would do who never heard about luminescent bacteria and such oddities. :-)
He even called his family to check the "thing" and they tried to make photos but never heard about the "B" setting on the camera and they failed to capture any meaningful detail on those pictures.
Next day though they boiled and ate the drumsticks as they had no substitute and anyway, they were destined for the Sunday lunch. :-)
Morgan
International Hazard

[*] posted on 9-11-2017 at 07:05

I saw a curious effect out fishing one night anchored about 20 miles off the coast of Florida. The heavy monofilament fishing line weighted to the bottom glowed as the current passed over it. You could see it for quite some depth in the darkness.

[Edited on 9-11-2017 by Morgan]
NEMO-Chemistry
International Hazard

[*] posted on 14-11-2017 at 06:48

Looking for something else, i came across a paper that seems to suggest this bacteria can grow in fresh water. While does say a 50% diluted marine solution is optimal, the paper deals with some of the bacteria being isolated from migrating salmon, these were 1200KM from a marine environment.

I thought i would post it incase someone finds it useful at some point.
https://doi.org/10.1016/S0167-7799(98)01223-2

Similarly other papers i came across, seem to suggest the organism is a spoilage one, it is somewhat sensitive to CO2 and O2. I didnt read the entire paper so I may have slightly misread the point of the paper.

However it does tally with the bacteria being found in vac packed fish that have spoiled.

https://link.springer.com/article/10.1007/s00217-002-0575-1

I have also attached a paper that gives optimal culture conditions (apparently).

https://www.jstage.jst.go.jp/article/jgam1955/26/2/26_2_75/_...

[Edited on 14-11-2017 by NEMO-Chemistry]

[Edited on 14-11-2017 by NEMO-Chemistry]
mayko
International Hazard

Mood: anomalous (Euclid class)

[*] posted on 9-7-2019 at 17:14

I ran across this protocol for isolating luminous bacteria, leafing though "Experimental Microbial Ecology", by Sheldon Aaronson

Quote:

Examine surface of agar in a darkened area with red illumination reduced to the point that nonluminescent colonies are barely visible.The luminescing colonies will have a bluish tinge. These may be marked and subsequently transferred to fresh nutrient agar medium for purification and subculture.

"Gelysate" is a gelatin-based peptone

Attachment: aaronson_luminous.pdf (279kB)
This file has been downloaded 571 times

al-khemie is not a terrorist organization
"Chemicals, chemicals... I need chemicals!" - George Hayduke
"Wubbalubba dub-dub!" - Rick Sanchez
TriiodideFrog
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 22-12-2020 at 21:24

A few years back, I got some dinoflagellates online.

Here is the website: https://www.carolina.com/algae/bioluminescent-dinoflagellate...
manomanom
Harmless

[*] posted on 9-5-2021 at 12:54

*carolina also sells cheap vibrio culture.

QUOTE pumukli:"Not only fish but chicken also can work!

anyone try growing a glowing chicken? that's a new one for me.
there is a bioluminescent form of cholera. so maybe it was that?

Another option (for people not located near the ocean) might be hornworm-caterpillars,
if you find a caterpillar that looks paralyzed, it may be infected with glowing nematodes. (Actually it's a bacteria in the nematodes that glows.)

The nematodes first infect a plant, the caterpillar eats the plant, and becomes infected,
inside the caterpillar they release a paralyzing toxin MCF (Makes Caterpillars Floppy)

interesting, in olde times this glowing bacteria sometimes infected wounded solders,
seen as a miracle, their bandages would glow, and it reportedly healed their wounds.

ii think it would be a fun project to grow the glowing nematodes bacteria.
 Pages:  1    3

Go To Top