Printable Version  
 Pages:  1    3  4
Author: Subject: YouTube Science Channels
DougTheMapper
Hazard to Others

Mood: Energetic

[*] posted on 16-11-2010 at 04:37
YouTube Science Channels

Hey everyone, I've recently noticed that there are many people on this forum who have chemistry-related YouTube channels which remain largely hidden. Being a fan of the more popular ones (TheHomeScientist, NurdRage, mabakken, etc), I thought it would be nice to compile a list of homemade chemistry video channels.

I think that promotion of these videos will help encourage the population to understand that people who make things in their basements and garages aren't the heretics that TV has made them out to be. The first step is to get these videos promoted by increasing views. So, with regards to the dignity of home chemists everywhere, here is the list:

====================================

All of these are at http://www.youtube.com/<insert name>

Mabakken
NurdRage
TheHomeScientist
Periodicvideos
Sieveb1
Myst32YT
wwwperiodictableru
Hallucionist
Chemsnippets

====================================

Post your channels or the channels you like and I will edit this post to include them. If the list becomes very long, I will add categories upon request. Let's get this new wave started!

Victor Grignard is a methylated spirit.
mewrox99
Hazard to Others

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 19-11-2010 at 20:44

I have my chem channel I'm quite proud off.

Youtube.com/mewrox99
Gary
Harmless

[*] posted on 9-12-2010 at 05:11

Homescientist, Alchemical Garden and Nurdrage- all worth viewing.
hkparker
National Hazard

[*] posted on 10-12-2010 at 16:47

yay for promoting youtube scientists! I got started on the youtube community before I come on sciencemadness, talking frequently with Myst32YT, Mewrox99, Alchemical garden, among other, and recently there has been a push from us youtubers to come here! Please check out my channel, www.youtube.com/user/hkparker, ive been doing it for about 6 months.
kuro96inlaila
Hazard to Self

Mood: Quietly thinking

[*] posted on 10-12-2010 at 21:07

Thanks for your efforts DougTheMapper!

Same as hkparker,I got involved in youtube before I found sciencemadness forum, while I was searching with google for something I have forgotten what it is.
So far I have only 11 subscribers on my youtube channel,but I hopefully got far more than that.Although I've not so good videos,I will improved and more video to come.
Just because it is a little bit harder to obtain chemicals in Malaysia.

so here it is:

http://www.youtube.com/user/kuro96inlaila

Please have a look,and hopefully you'll enjoy it! :)
Rogeryermaw
National Hazard

[*] posted on 18-12-2010 at 21:35

i will resume my experimentation soon. health issues have put me down for a while but i have a tube as well. same as my screen name here. i have some experiments lined up with the phosphorus made in the videos.

people...if you ever have inexplicable abdominal pain, get it checked out quickly!!! ulcers hurt and they can stop your life dead in it's tracks. till i got treatment i was stuck in bed in horrid pain for about 4 weeks. i got to enjoy the lovely taste of barium with iodine contrast...ultrasounds...half a gallon of bloodwork...been on powerful anitbiotics(my guts are just starting to recover from that)and prilosec is fukken expensive!!! been taking that for a month and have a month to go. don't lay around waiting for it to go away. it will cause you to get behind in everything. that shit hurt worse than getting shot in the shin with a .22... get help!!!

but i am into recovery and starting to feel well again so the experimentation videos will recommence soon!

hkparker
National Hazard

[*] posted on 19-12-2010 at 10:51

Glad to hear your feeling better, your work on phosphorus was awesome!
kuro96inlaila
Hazard to Self

Mood: Quietly thinking

[*] posted on 20-12-2010 at 01:04

Rogeryermaw,

Get well,ok!
We will wait for your experiment!;)
NurdRage
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 6-1-2011 at 20:41
Bringing up the profile of youtube science

I'd like to try and bring up the profile of youtube science and the youtube experimentalist community in general.

My idea is to have more interaction with other experimentalists on youtube. I'm going to open a second channel (haven't decided on the name yet) and on it i'll post vlog responses directly to other channels (as in all of yours). I hope to drive more subscribers to other channels this way but more importantly i want to show that there are plenty of legitimate experimentalists on youtube.

We can also collaborate and perhaps work on joint projects and videos that way.

Anyone interested? or have other ideas for making ourselves more noticed?
hkparker
National Hazard

[*] posted on 6-1-2011 at 20:47

Thats great NurdRage, im totally on board. me and Myst32YT have worked close together in the past and it was really a rewarding experience, I think collaboration is a good idea. A possible thought is we all work on projects and make segments of a complete video about it. I would also promote that some members of SM start their own channels, we would love to have you there too.

My YouTube Channel

"Nothing is too wonderful to be true if it be consistent with the laws of nature." -Michael Faraday
NurdRage
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 6-1-2011 at 21:07

sounds good then.

I'd like to get a bit of content up on my vlog channel before i plug it. So any project or topic you (or anyone else if they want to chime in) can think of to get started for an initial exchange?

Should be something relatively easy and broad so plenty of people can join in and start off. A good example would be "hot ice" but that's done to death. The potassium experiments (in the general chemistry section) are a good example of multi-pronged self-organizing research effort on our part. Although as far as i know, i'm the only one in that research group with a youtube channel and doing active experiments with potassium.

hkparker
National Hazard

[*] posted on 6-1-2011 at 21:19

Well the only thing im working on (when the weather here gets better) is synthesis of carbon disulfide by passing acetylene through molten sulfur, but this is kind of complicated, dangerous, and not that useful to the average home lab, so I dont think it would be a good place to start.

Potassium is a good idea, maybe a good place to start, but I know that group has already come a ways and like you said, your the only one in the group with a youtube channel atm.

You could open it up to the community on youtube, youl probably get more feedback there, and see what everyone is interested in.

My YouTube Channel

"Nothing is too wonderful to be true if it be consistent with the laws of nature." -Michael Faraday
NurdRage
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 6-1-2011 at 21:26

Problem with youtube is that a great number of my subs are overenthusiastic kids or kewls who are very liable to get themselves killed in this quest. Myfanwy94 is a good example of an individual who went too far and is now no longer with us.

I want to start here from this board since it seems the greater percentage of users are qualified, or at least competent enough, to do what we do safely.
hkparker
National Hazard

[*] posted on 6-1-2011 at 21:34

Yea good point, Myfanwy94 is a sad example, I saw his synthesis of HCN by frac. distillation of potassium ferricyanide with HCl before youtube pulled it down, stupid dangerous, months later I found out he died.

[Edited on 7-1-2011 by hkparker]

[Edited on 7-1-2011 by hkparker]

My YouTube Channel

Rogeryermaw
National Hazard

[*] posted on 7-1-2011 at 07:12

if anyone is interested, i made a you tube channel so people could check out the process i used for phosphorus production. the fields are: screen name: wwwsciencemadnessorg password: sciencenazisblow. this channel belongs to the community and anyone can check it out or even post to it. it is there for members of sciencemadness. whether you do not have your own channel or want to use it to post your own experiments it is open to all and it helps that several members can post to one place so there is no confusion on how to find it or viewing permissions or any of that garbage, you can tell members about a post to the community you tube page and then everyone can access it.

NurdRage
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 7-1-2011 at 07:30

Probably best not to share the password so publicaly like that. Some troll could easily come on and change the password and steal the channel. It's best if one person controlled it completely and instead people sent the videos to them to be posted.
MrHomeScientist
International Hazard

[*] posted on 7-1-2011 at 09:49

This is a great idea. That's part of the reason I got into chemistry, because I think people have an unnecessary fear of chemicals. I aim to show them that chemistry is fun and interesting, as long as you respect the things you are working with. Not everyone that mixes things or builds stuff in their garage is automatically a terrorist!

I definitely like NurdRage's channel idea - collaboration is a great idea! The recent potassium thread is a perfect example of this. Lots of doubters at the beginning, but a number of people experimented and shared their results with each other and now we have a really interesting and easy(ish) way to make potassium metal!

My channel is www.youtube.com/mrhomescientist . Thanks for coming up with a list like this!

[Edited on 1-7-2011 by MrHomeScientist]
cnidocyte
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 7-1-2011 at 09:56

Good idea. I love those home chemistry videos. NurdRage is my favourite. Heres another one for the list
http://www.youtube.com/user/Basco36
hkparker
National Hazard

[*] posted on 7-1-2011 at 16:22

Yea I think handing out the credentials for a site will eventually result in a troll stealing it, NurdRage should probably run the channel as he has the most credibility on youtube. Just let me know what you need from me as far as contributions go, when were ready to launch this, and ill talk to some of the people who stay more on youtube. As for our first project?

My YouTube Channel

Rogeryermaw
National Hazard

[*] posted on 7-1-2011 at 20:37

be sure to announce it. i look forward to seeing the channel if you do decide to go that route. good idea about the credentials staying with one person or within site moderation etc for security purposes.

NurdRage
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 7-1-2011 at 22:14

like i said, i first want to get a little group project going. Otherwise it'll just be me vlogging about whatever science happens to catch my fancy and even I get sick of hearing myself talk.

any suggestions for topics anyone?

Let me first throw out what's on my table:

Potassium synthesis
Total synthesis of luminol
Batteries
anodes for chlorate cells
water splitting (electrolytic and non-electrolytic approaches)

hkparker
National Hazard

[*] posted on 7-1-2011 at 22:39

Total synthesis of luminol sounds cool, but I think it would be better to stick with things that, even if quite complicated, use more standard lab reagents. Not everyone can buy from Sigma Aldrich or Alfa Aesar:)

Batteries could be a good explanation, not much community work I see there. Potassium synth would be great to bring to youtube, though its already been done in length here.

Anodes for chlorate cells is a very useful topic, though I know you already did a series on MMO electrodes.

Splitting water... that gets me thinking:D. Ive seen video of thermite on ice claiming that the process splits water then re-combusts it from the heat... not sure about the truth behind that but something we could all try out and film. Ive heard the same about hosing burning magnesium (though Mg + H2O --> MgO + H2 [which then burns] sounds more likely).

Chloroform could be a good topic, but maybe not something to go so public on on youtube. Ive seen the haloform reaction in a few videos and have done in on the test tube scale and have what I think are some good ideas for it.

I dont know, what do you think?

My YouTube Channel

UnintentionalChaos
International Hazard

Mood: Nucleophilic

[*] posted on 7-1-2011 at 23:10

I have a small number of videos up...I am having video editing issues, however. My camera records in AVCHD Lite and what I can get to run on Windoze XP seems to be choking on it. MPEG and similar converters distort the video due to different aspect ratios (16:9 in the HD video, 4:3 in the mpeg). Recommendations? I need something similar to windows movie maker or a workaround for the aspect ratio issue.

Department of Redundancy Department - Now with paperwork!

'In organic synthesis, we call decomposition products "crap", however this is not a IUPAC approved nomenclature.' -Nicodem
hkparker
National Hazard

[*] posted on 7-1-2011 at 23:17

I shoot with my phone and it shoots in .3gp, Ive found some good freeware that converts it. Id try googleing it, though im sure you already have, you might find some nice piece of freeware, other then that, im sure premier would do it.

What is your channel?

[Edited on 8-1-2011 by hkparker]

My YouTube Channel

NurdRage
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 7-1-2011 at 23:18

Don't know if this helps but I edit my videos on adobe premier pro CS5.

If your computer is choking just running the video then that seems to be slow hardware. You might want to upgrade your computer.
 Pages:  1    3  4

Go To Top