Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: I Finally got some sulfuric acid
T_FLeX
Harmless

Mood: Stressed

[*] posted on 7-2-2004 at 16:22
I Finally got some sulfuric acid

Last week I went to a battery shop in town and ended up buying a 5 gallon bag of sulfuric acid. They didn't ask any questions or give me any trouble. I don't know why I waited so long.

http://tflex101.home.mchsi.com/

I put up some pics if anyone wants to see them.

[Edited on 8-2-2004 by T_FLeX]

Polverone
Now celebrating 21 years of madness

Mood: Waiting for spring

[*] posted on 7-2-2004 at 17:49

You live in the US, right? Why don't you go to a hardware store and get some H2SO4 drain opener? Dilute H2SO4 will be useful for many things, but for other tasks (as you've found) you will want concentrated acid, and boiling it down will be energy-intensive and potentially hazardous.

PGP Key and corresponding e-mail address
IgnorantlyIntelligent
Moderately Insane

Mood: Unhuman

[*] posted on 11-2-2004 at 13:59

AC3 or L0ws will have it and so will h0m3d3p0t. Look for the drain opener that is in a plastic bottle inside a plastic bag. Get the kind with the least ammount of dyes in it.

\"People fear from ignorance what they do not have the intelligence to understand\"

\"Religion is the sigh of the oppressed creature, the heart of a heartless world, just as it is the spirit of a spiritless situation.\"

\"A fool would rather not question, a soldier is taught not to question, a slave dares not question.\"

\"To fight for nothing is to love nothing, to die for something is to have lived for something.\"
Polverone
Now celebrating 21 years of madness

Mood: Waiting for spring

[*] posted on 11-2-2004 at 14:17

I think you meant to say "Ace," "Lowes," and "Home Depot." None of this sneaky-talk. If someone wants to know where to buy a perfectly legal product, you tell them or you don't.

PGP Key and corresponding e-mail address
T_FLeX
Harmless

Mood: Stressed

[*] posted on 11-2-2004 at 17:35

Yea they sell it at my local Home Depot, but I wanted to get some relatively pure sulfuric acid to make sulfate salts. If I ever get the money to buy some potassium nitrate I'll be using the drain opener to make nitric acid. Was wondering if anyone has used the drain opener for making glacial acetic acid? I can get sodium acetate easy, and thought it might be pretty cool to have glacial acetic acid around, plus I've always wanted to see it actually frozen.

thunderfvck
Hazard to Others

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 12-2-2004 at 00:31

Nice website. I'm sure we can all agree that a huge jug of Hawaiin punch is essential to anyone's laboratory :D

As it has been mentioned before. You should go for the drain cleaners in plastic bags. Garaunteed (maybe not for SURE, but anyway) greater than 90% purity. I have this red tinted garbage that's 98%. It cost me something like 6-10$ for about 1.5L. Not bad I guess...

darkflame89
Hazard to Others

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 1-3-2004 at 02:44

You all are so lucky. From where I live, sulphuric acid isn't really available, i think. I need it in all sorts of reactions but i can't jus find it. Anyway i am new:D

Ignis ubique latet, naturam amplectitur omnem.
Saerynide
National Hazard

Mood: Ionic

[*] posted on 2-3-2004 at 07:55

It's not available where I live either.

Im currently working on electrolytic H2SO4 production. Im getting somewhere, but then Im not really getting anywhere either. One of the electrolyte solutions always messes up on me. :(

Go To Top