Sciencemadness Discussion Board
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Looking for United Kingdom sources of 250mL heating mantles and Quickfit all-glass distillation apparatus
Gary
Harmless

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 24-11-2010 at 11:43
Looking for United Kingdom sources of 250mL heating mantles and Quickfit all-glass distillation apparatus

I am interested in acquiring all-glass (no plastic or rubber parts)Quickfit distillation borosilicate glassware and a 250mL heating mantle. Other than ebay (with its extortionate prices- £25 for a Liebig condenser!), could anyone point me towards suppliers based in the UK?
I would like to have a go at extracting terpenes and terpenoids (carvone, limonene, nootkatone, eugenol, eucalyptol, etc) from plant material, so the heating mantle must have a variable temperature control, with the option of low temperature (<100 Celcius). I am also interested in inorganic synthesis involving moderately high temperatures. What is the maximum or ceiling temperature attainable by a heating mantle, as opposed to a hotplate? I'm not too keen on open flames as heating source- it is just too unsafe, although a Bunsen or blowtorch does have its place in high-temperature inorganic synthesis involving crucibles or ignition tubes.
DJF90
International Hazard

[*] posted on 24-11-2010 at 11:59

Extortionate prices they may appear, but that IS the price of brand new quickfit glassware. If I were you I'd save up and bear it, or buy it piece at a time over a period to soften the blow to your wallet
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 27-11-2010 at 17:10

I've got a pretty much bog standard 1L variable mantle with which I have managed to boil H2SO4 (which then refused to condense, making the experiment a fairly dangerous failure). I would say most mantles max at about 400-500C which is presumably going to be above requirements for most organic experiments.

See your inbox for advice about buying glassware.
chaingang86
Harmless

[*] posted on 28-11-2010 at 15:20

been looking around for a while now ebay is your best bet unless you want to shell out a few thousand and make the other half angry guess you could try these guys but specialty items is cheapest with these guys http://www.hamiltonglass.co.uk/stills.html

Go To Top