Sciencemadness Discussion Board
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  ..  6    8
Author: Subject: Can science and religion coexist peacefully?
psychokinetic
National Hazard

Mood: Constantly missing equilibrium

[*] posted on 12-1-2011 at 16:25

A lot of this appears to be unproductive and insulting.
Logic appears to have gone out the window.

“If Edison had a needle to find in a haystack, he would proceed at once with the diligence of the bee to examine straw after straw until he found the object of his search.
I was a sorry witness of such doings, knowing that a little theory and calculation would have saved him ninety per cent of his labor.”
-Tesla
gnitseretni
Hazard to Others

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 12-1-2011 at 17:30

I never understood the point of these threads. Threads like this one pop up every once in a while on all forums I frequent and most of them end the same way. First people try to prove there is/isn't a god... and when they realize that it's useless, that's when the insults start until a mod closes the thread.
madscientist
National Hazard

Mood: pyrophoric

[*] posted on 12-1-2011 at 17:35

This one has remained reasonably cordial until the last day or so.

Keep it on topic (modern relations of science and religion), and keep each other out of your posts, or this is probably going to end up locked. It's teetering on the verge of a flame war...

I weep at the sight of flaming acetic anhydride.
Rosco Bodine
Banned

Mood: analytical

[*] posted on 12-1-2011 at 17:51

Reason is tested significantly by "meaning of life" philosophical kind of discussions,
so it soon becomes impossible to fake it if the needed supply of reason is deficient. When some people ponder such deep subjects it is like that little animated flashlight icon in an empty Windows folder ....searching ....and searching....and searching :D Hopefully a friend will guide them.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hhtUWG5K9_I

madscientist
National Hazard

[*] posted on 12-1-2011 at 18:08

Please, don't directly call others idiots, or killers, or lost souls, or whatever. Focus your words on the ideas, not the individuals, or I'm bringing down the hammer. :mad:

And please Rosco, no more youtube videos. They are patronizing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6DmGJrrLCQE

hkparker
National Hazard

[*] posted on 12-1-2011 at 18:26

Quote: Originally posted by gnitseretni  
I never understood the point of these threads. Threads like this one pop up every once in a while on all forums I frequent and most of them end the same way. First people try to prove there is/isn't a god... and when they realize that it's useless, that's when the insults start until a mod closes the thread.

Couldn't agree more. I think many people have proved science and religion can exist peacefully (ask a religious scientist?). At this point weather or not you do believe is your own opinion, and no one is convincing anyone different. I think its time this is closed.

My YouTube Channel

"Nothing is too wonderful to be true if it be consistent with the laws of nature." -Michael Faraday
Rosco Bodine
Banned

[*] posted on 12-1-2011 at 18:49

The church is the greatest patron of the sciences and the arts that has ever been,
therefore it is by inference a question involving prediction of a potential ethical conflict that is the premise of the thread. Intuitively, it would be my guess that something controversial like
research contemplated involving living human embryos and genetic engineering,
beyond "medicinal genetics" is the "hidden topic" behind the pretext question.
If the question which is more honestly being offered to be guessed as what
is really being asked is different, for example "Is it okay with the church if scientists want to do some human modeling and engineering or is there an
ethical impasse there?", then the answer would probably be that such science
is a matter with which the church would have a real problem.

So ....are we down to the nitty gritty?

[Edited on 13-1-2011 by Rosco Bodine]
anotheronebitesthedust
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 12-1-2011 at 20:25

Oh come on, no one else saw the resemblance in writing styles?

Jared Lee Loughton:
Quote:
If the police remove you from the educational facility for talking then removing you from the educational facility for talking is unconstitutional in the United States. The police remove you from the educational facility for talking. Thus, removing you from the educational facility for talking is unconstitutional in the United States. This situation is fraud because the police are unconstitutional!

Rosco:
Quote:
On the other hand, the absolutist view of an atheists bias would preclude any proof ever being sufficiently conclusive to disuade the bias of an atheist and "convert" it to a differing view. It is by nature and definition an incorrectable error of logic that the atheist embraces and declares the paradox of intransigent

I choose not to believe in an organized man-made religion because to do so would be to surrender my own creativity and freedom to learn and think for myself. And it's a lot more productive for individual humans to each think up new ideas, much like the infinite amount of monkeys reference, eventually someone will think up something that makes sense.

I'm not saying that the unknown mysteries of the universe don't inspire awe and at times thoughts of the existence of a supreme being or higher intelligence pulling the strings. But those thoughts are my own and I have pieced them together from the accumulation of experiences and information gathered throughout my life.

At the same time it's not impossible that a god put a baby on Earth to die for mankind and somehow absolve humans of the bad things they have done. But it's much more probable that we're just a bunch of monkeys typing on keyboards. :D
Rosco Bodine
Banned

[*] posted on 12-1-2011 at 22:54
Jared Loughner - Uncle Fester Addams (undead???)

For the writing styles I just don't see any similarity ......

However, anyone can see the resemblances here

Jared Loughner

Tom Henning Ovrebo (Norwegian Football referee)

Jackie Coogan (Uncle Fester Addams)

Sedit
International Hazard

Mood: Manic Expressive

[*] posted on 12-1-2011 at 23:23

Quote: Originally posted by hissingnoise  
Quote: Originally posted by Sedit  
Almost every other country I can think of is much more religious and vocal then the USA.

That statement shows how little you know about other countries!
The US has some striking similarities with Pakistan as far as religious observance is concerned!
Ireland, these days, is a predominantly secular society - yes, it was a dark, priest-ridden place but that has changed for the obvious reasons.

This statement shows how little you know about me and shines light on how the majority of your post are nothing more then troll ridden comments. Going to church on sunday has about as much to do with religion as wipping my ass does to ensure its clean. Its a good ritual and may help a bit but worthless in making it pure. Its not about saying you believe its about acting like it and the US does very little in this respect as opposed to other countrys. More often then not churchs are filled with those who feel its ok to sin because god will forgive them. This is bullshit.

Knowledge is useless to useless people...

"I see a lot of patterns in our behavior as a nation that parallel a lot of other historical processes. The fall of Rome, the fall of Germany — the fall of the ruling country, the people who think they can do whatever they want without anybody else's consent. I've seen this story before."~Maynard James Keenan
turd
National Hazard

[*] posted on 13-1-2011 at 02:00

This statement shows how little you know about me and shines light on how the majority of your post are nothing more then troll ridden comments. Going to church on sunday has about as much to do with religion as wipping my ass does to ensure its clean. Its a good ritual and may help a bit but worthless in making it pure. Its not about saying you believe its about acting like it and the US does very little in this respect as opposed to other countrys. More often then not churchs are filled with those who feel its ok to sin because god will forgive them. This is bullshit.

Huh? Is this some kind of winning the argument by definition? Are you saying that believing in a god and going to church so that you will be forgiven for your sins is not religious because it is not the true path? That's a pretty weird definition. Also note that anotheronebitesthedust's chart did NOT picture church attendance (that would look much "better" for the USA), but whether people consider themselves religious. And frankly, I've come around a bit and the chart totally reflects my experience.
Sedit
International Hazard

[*] posted on 13-1-2011 at 05:57

No I belive that the majority of those who claim they are religious are anything but and uphold there religion to only the thinnest of standards. Howmany people do you know that claim they are christain but haven't entered a church since there parents stopped making them go, if they have ever gone in the first place. The results of these polls and graphs are tainted by the fact that many call themselfs christians or whatever religion only in hopes that they don't go to hell. In the US is seems religion is more of a social status then it is a belief. Catholics churchs with there sometimes strange rituals are some of the only churchs I have ever been to that still practice the sometimes odd rituals that started with the christian and other simular religions.

Its not about winning an argument because this thread lost value by around page 4 or 5 so for the most part I am done with it because like I stated before this thread is blatent proof that science and religion can not co-exist because you all as both scientist and religious can't even get thru a few pages of discussion without resorting to personal attacks at the other side.

Rosco expresses his strong held beliefs and that to me is ok, others stress there beliefs that there is no god and I feel thats fine as well. But when Rosco blames the Atheist for the arguments that start and the atheist start to blame Rosco and the christians for all the problems then that in itself is where the problem is. You are all the cause of the problem and this discussion should have never started because there will never be an agreement since the majority of both sides are about as close minded as it gets without the slightest room for growth.

My feeling is that there is a god but its far removed from anything either side would view as a god so I personally just watch you all bitch and moan with a grin on my face while I do infact practice my beliefs which are a mixture of many, many religions over shadowed with scientific process. I feel that Atheist are wrong in never seeking a higher source of something you'll never begin to comprehend and I feel that the christians are woshiping the man that the old testiments deamed as the antichrist and he is the false profit so warned about millenia ago. So all in all I would no doubt consider myself a neutral party. Neither the religious or you atheist seem to be able to open your minds a little and admit and possibly, in maybe some sort of way, YOU ARE ALL WRONG!.

[Edited on 13-1-2011 by Sedit]

"I see a lot of patterns in our behavior as a nation that parallel a lot of other historical processes. The fall of Rome, the fall of Germany — the fall of the ruling country, the people who think they can do whatever they want without anybody else's consent. I've seen this story before."~Maynard James Keenan
hissingnoise
International Hazard

Mood: Pulverulescent!

[*] posted on 13-1-2011 at 06:29

This statement shows how little you know about me and shines light on how the majority of your post are nothing more then troll ridden comments.

Actually Sedit, I know more about you than I feel comfortable with!

Sedit
International Hazard

[*] posted on 13-1-2011 at 06:38

You know nothing so quite the trolling for once. Why don't you infact PM me with the data you supposed to know about me.

[Edited on 13-1-2011 by Sedit]

hissingnoise
International Hazard

[*] posted on 13-1-2011 at 07:30

Responding to a simple off-the-cuff remark with paranoia is, itself, pretty revealing!

Sedit
International Hazard

[*] posted on 13-1-2011 at 08:02

OH shove it your presense here is worthless, Keep on keepin on little troll, don't you have a bridge to go protect or something?

hissingnoise
International Hazard

[*] posted on 13-1-2011 at 08:33

Your dossier remains open and is updated on a regular basis!

quicksilver
International Hazard

Mood: ~-=SWINGS=-~

[*] posted on 13-1-2011 at 09:01

One of the most wonderful things that found me wondering if there was a God was classroom experiences especially in biology. The question occurred to me; "Could order come from chaos?" Please understand I was raised an Atheist (capital A; to actually not believe - not simply to question, etc).
"Chemicals + Time + Energy (electrical, etc) = Life" is a commonly held conception; yet is makes sense in the light of chaos & our living world has Order. Thus I ask myself: Could order come from chaos? It was this that allowed me to wonder whether the denial of a "Greater concept" was ill founded.

I would think that folks who enjoy science would have a great time with that rather than even have a hint of animosity toward it's poignancy.

[Edited on 13-1-2011 by quicksilver]

Rosco Bodine
Banned

[*] posted on 13-1-2011 at 09:08

What is possibly the true issue and the true premise for the question posed by the thread
is something which I stated above, intuitively discerning that genetic
engineering of humans is likely an agenda of science that is the "stealth topic"
residing within the question posed by the OP as the thread title.

There is not an "equivalency of quality of rationality" for differing beliefs.
Describing that truth analytically and candidly is disturbing provocation for
people who have a differing opinion about such analysis. Ironically the
scientific and philosophical veracity of the analysis detailing such a non-equivalency
still holds true. It provokes any atheist to be told the truth
that their "belief" suffers from a logical fallacy that is significant in a way
which repudiates and discredits any claim made for intellectual superiority
about atheism. It does seem to be the constant mantra of many atheists
to often convey a bias originating claim that they are "smarter people"
than agnostics or Christians. Atheism is devoid of objectivity which would
not be an affliction at all for the agnostic, nor as intensely for a Christian.
Tenets of atheism can be critically examined and logical defects highlighted.
Seeing this occur, the atheist responds irrationally
and even responds insultingly when their "denial religion"
is made subject to rational analysis and scrutiny. It is glaringly unscientific
response which reveals atheists are hyper cynics not merely skeptics as
would be the case for agnostics. With regards to any contemplated peaceful coexistence with science,
clearly agnosticism rather than atheism has the superior position with regards to absolute rationality.

madscientist
National Hazard

[*] posted on 13-1-2011 at 09:19

In conclusion, atheists are communist tyrants, Christians are fascist killers, Muslims are terrorists, Mormons are polygamist heretics and agnostics are misguided idiots on the highway to hell.

We're doomed.

madscientist
National Hazard
Thread Closed
13-1-2011 at 09:20
 Pages:  1  ..  6    8

Go To Top