Sciencemadness Discussion Board
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Energy Density Tables/Data?
MineMan
National Hazard

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 5-5-2019 at 16:02
Energy Density Tables/Data?

Hello All, I am looking for data on the energy density of elements when they are oxidized and flurinated. Per weight and volume, with oxygen included (oxidizer) and excess oxygen (atmosphere). Can anyone point me to tables of this? My goal is to access the energy density of elements used in pyrotechnics and less used elements and thier potential.

I think this would be useful for all. For example aluminum has a higher energy density per weight then zirconium, but zirconium wins when density is taken into account... zirconium fueled rockets can achieve 30 percent more gravitational potential.
MineMan
National Hazard

[*] posted on 5-5-2019 at 21:44

Yes. I am aware of the link you provided.... it’s obly lists a few though.
Microtek
National Hazard

[*] posted on 6-5-2019 at 10:06

Purdue Propulsion data

Then just calculate the enthalpy change during the reaction and divide by the formula weight to get the energy density.
MineMan
National Hazard

[*] posted on 7-5-2019 at 19:44

Quote: Originally posted by Microtek  
Purdue Propulsion data

Then just calculate the enthalpy change during the reaction and divide by the formula weight to get the energy density.

Microtek. Despite this table being from a reputable source I don’t trust it. Be and O is most energetic yet it does not show it as so. It lists some funky chemicals I can’t find too. It seems fishy. But a table like this is more or less what I am looking for!
Microtek
National Hazard

[*] posted on 7-5-2019 at 23:12

The table doesn't list beryllium oxide at all - I don't find this suspicious. If you are looking at the heats of formation for the pure elements you should get 0 or close to it (which you do). You should look for the change in either enthalpy (from heats of formation) or Gibbs free energy.

For instance:

CH4 + 2O2 --> CO2 + 2H2O
-75 kJ/mol 0 kJ/mol -393.5 kJ/mol -241.8 kJ/mol

Enthalpy change for the reaction is then deltaHf(products) - deltaHf(reactants): -393.5 + 2*(-241.8) - (-75 + 0) = -877.1 - (-75) = -802.1 kJ/formula weight. Since one mole of methane weighs 16 g, methane will release about 50 kJ/g (given sufficient oxygen). If you wanted to, you could calculate free energy instead, but it would be more complicated, and not much more accurate.

Go To Top