Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2    4
Author: Subject: Your favorite blasting cap design
MineMan
National Hazard

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 1-7-2019 at 22:14

There’s a lot a friction. And it’s aimed at Smith and Wesson. He is in the right. He has said nothing to incite anything and has spread wisdom. Please continue Wesson.

Xeon. My understanding is a box of sets run over by track equipment goes? The problem with my situation was we were on top of loaded holes?
Pyro_cat
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 19-7-2019 at 20:47

I don't not want to do any melting or manual pressing. Seems to me it could be possible to somewhat copy the idea above and do both the pressing and set it off it the same time.

To add to the challenge make it happen with paper tubing/shrapnel free.

I think I have a good idea, but I am a little stuck. This idea needs work.

[Edited on 20-7-2019 by Pyro_cat]
XeonTheMGPony
International Hazard

[*] posted on 20-7-2019 at 05:21

Quote: Originally posted by wessonsmith  
Quote: Originally posted by XeonTheMGPony  
please post here google drive bs dosn't work for me, then I will indeed read the data compleatly

What are you talking about??? What is wrong with the (4) papers I have uploaded???

I can't access them, I have google heavily disabled on well every thing.

You simply upload to the board directly
XeonTheMGPony
International Hazard

[*] posted on 20-7-2019 at 05:43

Quote: Originally posted by Pyro_cat  

I don't not want to do any melting or manual pressing. Seems to me it could be possible to somewhat copy the idea above and do both the pressing and set it off it the same time.

To add to the challenge make it happen with paper tubing/shrapnel free.

I think I have a good idea, but I am a little stuck. This idea needs work.

Pressing is a safe simple process providing you have taken your time to understand the process, and make some basic tooling.

ATM I use the massively more dangerous method known as tamping (DO NOT USE LESS YOU HAVE GREAT DEAL EXPERIENCE IN HANDLING AND ACCEPT THE RISK), because I need to get a good press still, yet not a single accident, not by magic, the safety is in you, not the chemical.

Tamping: Packing by repeat light impacts to desired density
Pressing: One long stroke with great pressure to desired density

Using friction modifiers and the speed at which you press all play a role.

Using carefully made pressing rods (I use a quality nail that I have filed and polished to the proper dimension and shape with a paper bushing to keep it well centered over its stroke)

So it really doesn't matter what primary you use if you handle it haphazardly. You need to just well understand the material you are using, and take rigorous quality control from the very starting synthesis to end product.

Handle any energetic material as if a fly will set it off, be clean and care full, use purpose made tools and maintain them, and you will be unlikely to ever have an accident (Do not become complacent how ever)

Never handle material when you are tired or hungry or even need to use the bathroom, 100% of your mind needs to be on task. Take breaks often to keep the mind fresh and awake.

Plan every thing out ahead, do every thing in sequential batches, and isolate each step to ensure no mistakes are made.

for good repeatability and reliability be as accurate as possible in weights and pressing force.
Pyro_cat
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 20-7-2019 at 10:21

Pressing is a safe simple process providing you have taken your time to understand the process, and make some basic tooling.

Thanks for the reply. Lots of good stuff.

For tooling could make a pressing/tamping device and rig it to get the job done from a distance behind shielding with a pulley and rope. Second rope to pull the rod out. Quality Paracord is good stuff. Even kite string.

Miniature drop hammer pile driver.

caterpillar
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 20-7-2019 at 11:22

A pencil is good for pressing. Protective gloves, of course. Think where is this pencil is about to fly when (and if) the charge goes off.

Women are more perilous sometimes, than any hi explosive.
Pyro_cat
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 20-7-2019 at 13:01

Quote: Originally posted by caterpillar  
A pencil is good for pressing. Protective gloves, of course. Think where is this pencil is about to fly when (and if) the charge goes off.

And wear earmuffs too, glad I did when I decided to see what happens if you melt a pinch in a spoon and then light it. The propane tank on the torch rang like a bell from that pop. That would have hurt. Very first hammer test, half a match-heads worth an ear ringer, lets get the ear muffs now.

Gloves or no gloves I am not holding it and disturbing it at the same time but how much pressing does this need ? The word pressing implies lots of force, like pressing in a bearing, you don't just tap it in.

MineMan
National Hazard

[*] posted on 20-7-2019 at 13:12

You cannot do your idea above pyro cat because the compressive wave is out run by the detonation wave. You would need the reverse for that to happen.

There are reports of nitromethane’s VOD being 7500m/s when a compression wave is followed by a shock strong enough to initiate the material. So...maybe in theory your concept is possible after all. But you would have to find a way to send a compressive wave through the material that is not strong enough to detonate it and then detonate it while that wave is still active. Certainly a concept worth pursuing for larger charges to increase VOD... but not for a cap. It should be as simple as possible.
caterpillar
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 20-7-2019 at 14:07

And wear earmuffs too, glad I did when I decided to see what happens if you melt a pinch in a spoon and then light it. The propane tank on the torch rang like a bell from that pop. That would have hurt. Very first hammer test, half a match-heads worth an ear ringer, lets get the ear muffs now.

Gloves or no gloves I am not holding it and disturbing it at the same time but how much pressing does this need ? The word pressing implies lots of force, like pressing in a bearing, you don't just tap it in.

there is no need in super-pressing. A few kilos is enough. I read that the normal density is something about 1 gr per cm^3. There is such thing as overpressing- overpressed primaries lose its ability to initiate.

Women are more perilous sometimes, than any hi explosive.
XeonTheMGPony
International Hazard

[*] posted on 20-7-2019 at 15:00

there is no need in super-pressing. A few kilos is enough. I read that the normal density is something about 1 gr per cm^3. There is such thing as overpressing- overpressed primaries lose its ability to initiate.

That is only MF and usualy is in the 40Ksi range

20ksi is the usual pressure for the base charge

The term is Dead pressing

[Edited on 20-7-2019 by XeonTheMGPony]
Pyro_cat
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 21-7-2019 at 23:01

Quote: Originally posted by MineMan  
You cannot do your idea above pyro cat because the compressive wave is out run by the detonation wave. You would need the reverse for that to happen.

There are reports of nitromethane’s VOD being 7500m/s when a compression wave is followed by a shock strong enough to initiate the material. So...maybe in theory your concept is possible after all. But you would have to find a way to send a compressive wave through the material that is not strong enough to detonate it and then detonate it while that wave is still active. Certainly a concept worth pursuing for larger charges to increase VOD... but not for a cap. It should be as simple as possible.

You need to be careful with this stuff.

A soliton wave was a confined energy phenomenon that traveled at faster-than-light speeds, with potential applications in spacecraft propulsion.

Although the test began promisingly, displaying a 98% energy transfer efficiency of the soliton wave that was 450% more efficient than the Enterprise's own warp engines, the wave unexpectedly destabilized and manifested a subspace distortion that destroyed the test ship and damaged the Enterprise. Dr. Ja'Dar believed that a transient power imbalance was responsible.

The Enterprise subsequently found that the wave was accelerating towards Lemma II, gaining energy in the process. It was estimated that by the time the wave arrived it would contain enough energy to destroy most of the planet. The wave had grown too powerful for the Lemma II facility to dissipate, but the Enterprise was able to disrupt the wave by detonating five photon torpedoes directly in front of it.

Anyway,

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Soliton

I had the idea, then I lost it posting the above messing around.

[Edited on 22-7-2019 by Pyro_cat]
Pyro_cat
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 23-7-2019 at 08:50

Quote: Originally posted by MineMan  

Well then picture a fireworks mortar shell upside down in the tube, the lift charge pressing down is the compression then the fire to main charge is the initiator. Of course the time delay of all this would have to be significantly shortened.

Pyro_cat
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 26-7-2019 at 18:53

Rudolf Diesel invented the pressure-ignited heat engine, adapting the internal combustion engine so that a spark is no longer needed to ignite... and was inspired by the fire piston.

history_fire_piston.jpg - 92kB

Here is the above in this video https://youtu.be/o-tOYz_-YII?t=388

So that's my untested and unfinished favorite design idea. Pretty much the same idea all along from the gun fission pic, mortar upside down in the tube to this. Would still have to engineer a force to press the piston down but I would imagine placing a primary inside this fire piston thing would melt cast and then ignite it at the same time.

I am never building or testing this but theoretically it should work. If anyone does bump the thread and let me know.
XeonTheMGPony
International Hazard

[*] posted on 27-7-2019 at 19:27

Rudolf Diesel invented the pressure-ignited heat engine, adapting the internal combustion engine so that a spark is no longer needed to ignite... and was inspired by the fire piston.

Here is the above in this video https://youtu.be/o-tOYz_-YII?t=388

So that's my untested and unfinished favorite design idea. Pretty much the same idea all along from the gun fission pic, mortar upside down in the tube to this. Would still have to engineer a force to press the piston down but I would imagine placing a primary inside this fire piston thing would melt cast and then ignite it at the same time.

I am never building or testing this but theoretically it should work. If anyone does bump the thread and let me know.

Take that piston and press it slowely down and see what happens
Pyro_cat
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 28-7-2019 at 07:29

Take that piston and press it slowely down and see what happens

Probably nothing as too slow and the heat would dissipate. Could probably test the concept by attempting to melt something inert in the tube, see if it caramelizes powdered sugar.

Everyone says no need for a better mouse trap. Oh well. Going to see how my thread on alternative conditioning is doing. That mouse trap could be improved.

XeonTheMGPony
International Hazard

[*] posted on 29-7-2019 at 04:12

A mouse trap does its job perfectly with the fewest possible parts, there is nothing you can improve with out altering it in such a way that will harm it.

A slew of useless garbage on the market has proven this!

A hint: Start from the ass end of what you are doing. What is the end resualt you need, then determine each step from there.
 Pages:  1  2    4

Go To Top