Printable Version  
 Pages:  1    3
Author: Subject: 2,4-Dinitrophenol
NotMyForte
Harmless

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 7-12-2010 at 12:05
2,4-Dinitrophenol

Hi, I am to be burtally honest here; I am here to question some people who have alot more knolledge than myself for means of harm reduction. I have used 2,4-Dinitrophenol in the past as a fat burner, I know it isn't very safe but i am able to purchase it now for R&D purposes only, thats where you experts come in. Now, i am no chemist at all, But what are the legit uses for the 2,4-Dinitrophenol that i can say i will be using it for? Also, The chemical i can get is described as "2,4-Dinitrophenol, 97%, stab. with 30-35% water" -- So can is there a way i can dry it out and isolate the DNP? Any help will be greatly appreciated and will help in my saftey. thank You
hissingnoise
International Hazard

Mood: Pulverulescent!

[*] posted on 7-12-2010 at 12:22

Are you not concerned about the long-term consequences of what you're doing?
Surely there are better ways to lose weight . . . ?
Anyway FWIW, DNP is now on sale as a fat burner!

ScienceSquirrel
International Hazard

Mood: Dogs are pets but cats are little furry humans with four feet and self determination! :(

[*] posted on 7-12-2010 at 13:00

<RANT>
Given the contents of this article on Wikipedia that is referenced to a lot of reputable sources I would not swallow 2,4-Dinitrophenol if you paid me.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2,4-Dinitrophenol
There seem to be too many people who want to take butryolactone sold to clean alloy wheels, trichloroacetic acid sold as an industrial cleaner, sodium chlorite sold as a paper bleach, hydrogen peroxide sold for sterilising food machinery and more to cure cancer, AIDS, diabetes, warts, toothache, terminal stupidity or to win a Darwin Award. :D
Some of these chemicals come from God alone knows where often by black channels and are sold by complete tossers who do not care about your health, besides you would have to be a nut to drink food grade hydrogen peroxide even from a reputable supplier.
One of these days there is going to be a major incident when a load of something horribly toxic like thallium acetate makes its way into a batch of vitamin pills.
It is stabilised with water for a very good reason, when dry it can explode. Take it from me losing both your arms will make you a lot lighter! :o

</RANT>
crazedguy
Hazard to Others

Mood: You can't fix stupid

[*] posted on 7-12-2010 at 15:55

your joking right?
I wouldn't eat that.

[Edited on 7-12-2010 by crazedguy]

Warning: i do stupid things
http://www.youtube.com/user/Craz3dguy
Ozone
International Hazard

Mood: Integrated

[*] posted on 7-12-2010 at 17:02

NOT ADVISABLE FOR CONSUMPTION!

From older posts (this was with 2,4-Dinitro-6-sec-butylphenol, aka. 2-Sec-butyl-4,6-dinitrophenol):

"Dinitrophenols are nasty. I discovered once that they will penetrate nitrile gloves effortlessly leading to yellow fingers, raging migrain, profuse sweating, rapid heartbeat, and extreme fear. Lucky for me, it was sublethal, but decoupling electron transport sucks. It turns out that the symptoms I had reflected a dose that was very close to lethal. In this case, these are toxic not only at low dose, but quickly, and they are transdermal. (DO NOT HANDLE THESE COMPOUNDS WITH NITRILE GLOVES)."

and:

"Dinitrophenol was also used in the 1930's as a weight loss drug...problem was, people would go off of the drug and continue losing weight..."

I have used it for:

1) polymerization inhibitor/retarder
2) to make DNPO, a chemiluminescent oxalate ester with very fast kinetics.
3) herbicide/pesticide, now banned, because it killed people.

regards,

O3

[Edited on 8-12-2010 by Ozone]

-Anyone who never made a mistake never tried anything new.
--Albert Einstein
smuv
National Hazard

Mood: Jingoistic

[*] posted on 7-12-2010 at 21:49

That other 3% is probably other isomers of dinitrophenol, No idea their toxicity. Understand that you will be taking 30% less than what you expect because the stuff is inhibited with water.

It is dangerous, but so is being overweight. Just make sure this is your best option.

Good Luck.

[Edited on 12-8-2010 by smuv]

"Titanium tetrachloride…You sly temptress." --Walter Bishop
ScienceSquirrel
International Hazard

Mood: Dogs are pets but cats are little furry humans with four feet and self determination! :(

[*] posted on 8-12-2010 at 03:39

I have a feeling that some of the people who take this are not overweight.
They are body builders who want to have very high muscle definition and that requires minimal body fat.

Here is a typical user page;

http://www.mesomorphosis.com/articles/bach/dnp.htm

[Edited on 8-12-2010 by ScienceSquirrel]
Ephoton
Hazard to Others

Mood: trying to figure out why I need a dark room retreat when I live in a forest of wattle.

[*] posted on 8-12-2010 at 03:55

I dont think I would classify this one as a drug my self.
more a reagent :)

can buy as an rc?
man that must be costly.

I didont think phenols were that good for us to be honest.
I try not to even let them touch my skin no matter lone eat them.

on second thoughts vanillin and eugenol could be considered

phenols but then they have different groups on them.

still would not eat it though nor would I let it touch me.

best you go to the wetdreams.ws if you want weight loss.

[Edited on 8-12-2010 by Ephoton]

e3500 console login: root
bash-2.05#

DDTea
National Hazard

Mood: Degenerate

[*] posted on 9-12-2010 at 18:48

This sounds like a great precursor to picric acid. More expensive than aspirin, no doubt, but fewer steps = higher yields.

And on a related note, since it is frighteningly close to picric acid, I wouldn't want it anywhere near my body.

"In the end the proud scientist or philosopher who cannot be bothered to make his thought accessible has no choice but to retire to the heights in which dwell the Great Misunderstood and the Great Ignored, there to rail in Olympic superiority at the folly of mankind." - Reginald Kapp.
smuv
National Hazard

[*] posted on 10-12-2010 at 15:29

That logic is stupid.

Ethanol and ethylene glycol only differ by one functional group, in fact their molecular formulas are different by only one oxygen. I don't have to tell you how much different their toxicity is. Even more strikingly, would be a comparison between ethylene oxide and ethanol which differ by only 2 hydrogens.

Toxicology is not as simple as it looks like this or that.

DDTea
National Hazard

[*] posted on 10-12-2010 at 17:48

Thank you for going out of your way for a stern and arrogant talking down, smuv.

Let me quote from the wiki article regarding nitrophenols as a family:

Quote:
Nitrophenols are poisonous. Occasionally, nitrophenols contaminate the soil near former explosives or fabric factories and military plants, and current research is aimed at remediation.

Picric acid is poisonous. So is 2,4-Dinitrophenol. So is o-nitrophenol. Picric acid is one that I happen to have a bit of experience with and I know that it is something that I would avoid contact with. Since it falls under the broader category of "nitrophenols," which are all toxic to some degree, it is a fair statement. I did not go out on a limb to state the mechanism of toxicity; in fact, I was barely talking about toxicology at all because that is something I am not very familiar with this.

[Edited on 12-11-10 by DDTea]

"In the end the proud scientist or philosopher who cannot be bothered to make his thought accessible has no choice but to retire to the heights in which dwell the Great Misunderstood and the Great Ignored, there to rail in Olympic superiority at the folly of mankind." - Reginald Kapp.
smuv
National Hazard

[*] posted on 10-12-2010 at 22:05

Yeah it was an asshole comment. Sorry.

It reflected my annoyance with this entire thread. People are missing the point, toxicity in and of itself does not provide ANY information about a drugs safety. There are a lot of drugs on the market with toxicities greater than 2,4-DNP, some with with toxicities orders of magnitude greater. A safe drug is a drug where the effective dose is much less than the harmful dose, not a drug with a low harmful dose. Reading wikipedia or quoting an MSDS does not provide any of this information. Extrapolating the toxicity of this compound from the known toxicity of another compound, is extremely difficult to do with any accuracy and additionally provides no information about the drugs safety without considering the therapeutic dose.

[Edited on 12-11-2010 by smuv]

DDTea
National Hazard

[*] posted on 10-12-2010 at 23:05

Good call regarding the safety margin. Here's what I can find for a recommended dosage for weight loss [1]: 3-5 mg/kg per day. So for a 60 kg person, 180-300 mg per day.

The lowest published lethal dose in humans is 4.3 mg/kg, or 258 mg for a 60 kg person. The oral LD50 in rats is much higher, 30 mg/kg. In mice, the oral LD50 is 45 mg/kg.

I have no idea how the oral LD50 in humans would compare to mice or rats, but with a lowest published lethal dose within the recommended dosage range, this seems like a very bad idea. Also, there seems to be a history of DNP causing death when it was used clinically in the '30's [1]:

Quote:
Then, around 1933-l935, death reports started appearing in the Journal of the American Medical Association and other medical journals. The problems were occurring at normal dosages; some people didn't lose weight at those doses and, even worse, others died.

On that site, there is also an interesting anecdote about French munitions workers in WW1 who were exposed to 2,4-DNP, presumably as an in-process reagent for the production of picric acid. That may be an indicator of the effects of chronic exposure to 2,4-DNP and a further warning against using it to lose weight.

[1] "fitFLEX Articles : DNP: Straight Forward Facts on Dinitrophenol (DNP)." http://www.fitflex.com/dnpfacts.html. accessed 12/11/2010.

[2] "Safety data for 2,4-dinitrophenol ." http://msds.chem.ox.ac.uk/DI/2,4-dinitrophenol.html . accessed 12/11/2010.

[Edited on 12-11-10 by DDTea]

BlazeBall
Harmless

[*] posted on 11-12-2010 at 03:43

Using DNP as a weight loss drug is crazy, I remember my biology lecturer talking about this chemical, it's therapeutic index is narrow and simply having a hot day or overdoing it on the treadmill can result in hyperthermia.
DDTea
National Hazard

[*] posted on 11-12-2010 at 08:45

If DNP is ingested, would it be toxic to another animal that eats the animal that died from DNP? After thinking about the French munitions workers, feeding DNP to cows might make some excellent lean meat!

crazedguy
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 11-12-2010 at 12:03

Quote: Originally posted by DDTea  
If DNP is ingested, would it be toxic to another animal that eats the animal that died from DNP? After thinking about the French munitions workers, feeding DNP to cows might make some excellent lean meat!

Well it wouldn't matter if the animal had ate it unless the animal eating eat ingested enough to have more than the LD50.
I think that is a great idea for lean meat though

entropy51
Gone, but not forgotten

Mood: Fissile

[*] posted on 11-12-2010 at 12:37

Quote: Originally posted by crazedguy  
Well it wouldn't matter if the animal had ate it unless the animal eating eat ingested enough to have more than the LD50.
Ummm, how you figure that? The LD50 kills half of those ingesting it. Usually makes the 50% that survives sick as hell.

Better to remain silent and appear a fool than to open your mouth and remove all doubt.
crazedguy
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 11-12-2010 at 13:41

Quote: Originally posted by entropy51  
Quote: Originally posted by crazedguy  
Ummm, how you figure that? The LD50 kills half of those ingesting it. Usually makes the 50% that survives sick as hell.

Oh your right I don't figure, to think that a substance that wasn't in the animal you ate that was eliminated prior to ingestion would harm you is ridiculous. my logic = fail I retract my statement, you can go on with you vast knowledge.

DDTea
National Hazard

[*] posted on 11-12-2010 at 21:40

I think what crazedguy means is that so long as the animal didn't actually die from being poisoned and was able to sufficiently metabolize the drug prior to being slaughtered, the risk of poisoning to someone eating the animal should be minimal.

I don't think the "organic" crowd would like this idea much, though. However, in my opinion, it's just a different kind of "organic" :P

crazedguy
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 11-12-2010 at 23:17

I think what crazedguy means is that so long as the animal didn't actually die from being poisoned and was able to sufficiently metabolize the drug prior to being slaughtered, the risk of poisoning to someone eating the animal should be minimal.

I don't think the "organic" crowd would like this idea much, though. However, in my opinion, it's just a different kind of "organic" :P

Yes on both statements.

Paddywhacker
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 12-12-2010 at 01:56

Good call regarding the safety margin. Here's what I can find for a recommended dosage for weight loss [1]: 3-5 mg/kg per day. So for a 60 kg person, 180-300 mg per day.

That's about right, but watch out for a nasty chlorotic rash. I dosed myself with DNP about 40 years ago ... the idea was to loose weight and stamina in order to fail a compulsory Viet-Nam callup medical examination. The DNP was accompanied by a water-only diet for ten days.

But I had to stop taking DNP when I got a really painful rash in my groin area. So watch out for that.

spirocycle
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 12-12-2010 at 06:47

the problem isnt with the cows, its with the pollution that is certain to follow.
NotMyForte
Harmless

[*] posted on 12-12-2010 at 10:10

My only other question is..how do they ship this stuff?? being that it's a chemical do they use special methods and companys and deliver it only to designated labs and such or can they ship it to residential areas with commercial companys like ups,fedex??
hissingnoise
International Hazard

Mood: Pulverulescent!

[*] posted on 12-12-2010 at 10:55

Are you going to disregard the sound advice people here have given you?
If you value your long-term health you will not ingest DNP.
And if you're worried about weight talk to your doctor . . .

NotMyForte
Harmless

[*] posted on 12-12-2010 at 10:59

I appreciate the concern..But based on the research i have done and other's expirence, and short term cycle (5-7 days) of DNP use is not terrible..I also believe the lethal dose is approx 32mg/kg -- in the past i have no exceeded 300mg TOTAL (I am 180lbs) 81kg -- So i am well within the guidelines. Once again, thanks for the concern and sound advice thus far :)

Pages:  1    3

Go To Top