Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Liner Alkanes to cycloalkanes
Dragonjack12
Harmless

Mood: Chlorine trifloride

[*] posted on 16-5-2019 at 10:37
Liner Alkanes to cycloalkanes

Hey I’m doing some research into changing liner alkanes into cycaloalkanes(sorry for spelling). I have a couple exparents to try with some of the larger alkanes and for it to work I need to be able to have a way to change the shape of the molecule:):):)

Jack place
Ubya
International Hazard

Mood: I'm a maddo scientisto!!!

[*] posted on 16-5-2019 at 11:33

Starting from linear alkanes is not recommended, you can make cycloalkanes with the diels-alder reaction starting from alkanes (follow some online procedures), and then reduce the last double bond with your favorite reducing reaction.
You could try with the McMurry reaction, followed again by a reduction of a double bond, or a Prelog condensation of a long chain diester (followed again, you guessed it, a reduction, this time of a carbonyl group and a hydroxy group).
There are many paths possible, you chose the worst one, maybe the second worst, the first would be starting from hydrogen and carbon

---------------------------------------------------------------------
feel free to correct my grammar, or any mistakes i make
CharlieA
National Hazard

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 16-5-2019 at 11:34

I assume "liner" means linear. You apologize for spelling but don't bother to correct it. I think any decent college or university level organic chemistry text will give several ways to cyclize linear alkanes. In general, one way is to have a different functional group at each end of the alkane (e.g., X-R-Y) where the X and Y react with each other and are eliminated to leave a cyclical alkane; this will be more likely in a dilute solution, of course. If this solution is beyond you, I suggest you consult a reference as earlier suggested, or maybe you are asking a question beyond your understanding.
Dragonjack12
Harmless

Mood: Chlorine trifloride

[*] posted on 17-5-2019 at 06:27

Quote: Originally posted by CharlieA  
I assume "liner" means linear. You apologize for spelling but don't bother to correct it. I think any decent college or university level organic chemistry text will give several ways to cyclize linear alkanes. In general, one way is to have a different functional group at each end of the alkane (e.g., X-R-Y) where the X and Y react with each other and are eliminated to leave a cyclical alkane; this will be more likely in a dilute solution, of course. If this solution is beyond you, I suggest you consult a reference as earlier suggested, or maybe you are asking a question beyond your understanding.

Thank you for your comment. Sorry for missing a word I think context clues are a thing though... Don’t worry about my intelligence I can follow your explanation just fine. I don’t have access to a college text book but have done a lot of googling. I had a bit of a procedure planed already and was seeing if the extensive world of SM had some obscure trick or something you obviously don’t. Thanks anyway though.

Jack place
Ubya
International Hazard

Mood: I'm a maddo scientisto!!!

[*] posted on 17-5-2019 at 08:17

maybe if you explain the procedure you had in mind someone here could help you with the details, but there aren't any easy tricks in converting a saturated compound into an insaturated one

feel free to correct my grammar, or any mistakes i make

Go To Top