Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Synthesis of satan and how to tear gas yourself in the process
bold_ing
Harmless

Mood: Thionyl waterate

[*] posted on 27-5-2019 at 14:17
Synthesis of satan and how to tear gas yourself in the process

Been a while since I posted but ehh..I was making more stupid mistakes
I wanted to make some tatp, now i understand that its not the best explosive nor the best thing to work with in general i know i know .. but the curiosity got the better of me what can I say?
I recently acquired some 50% hydrogen peroxide and I wanted to use it for something..so I decided to make a small batch of tatp and gamble my face and hands , yay
Not gonna mention the exact amounts of reactants but I used 50%h2o2, acetone and 37%hcl
Measured out what I needed, I mixed the hcl with the acetone and I put everything into the freezer
Everything got to around -15°C
And I dumped the hydrogen peroxide all at once into the hcl/acetone mixture and the solution got extremely thick and white really quickly and a few minutes later everything dissolved as I used an excess of acetone and it got so hot it started boiling on it's own, I placed everything back into the freezer and after a while a very hard solid lump formed , it was very crystalline like and very hard.
After everything cooled I filtered it and boyyy oh boy...I started tasting a pungent feeling/smelling something and boom , it hit my eyes , OH MY LORD. It instantly made me nauseous and I couldn't even tolerate even moving my eyes the slightest bit.
The beaker was left open to air and the filter paper made a perfect medium for the volatile evil or whatever to evaporate off but I couldn't do anything but get the hell out of there.
It was freaking horrible , never experienced anything like that ever.
The hard lump I stupidly transferred onto paper towels and tried to crush it while it was damp and get rid of most of the liquid , I realize that this is a very stupid thing to do but oh well..
Right now hours later and that room is still not fully clear , my eyes are still red and stinging, I made more tears just today that the last 5 years combined probably lolll
Because the reaction went completely nuts and out of control it made a whole lot of (di?)chloroacetone byproducts which used to be used as a tear gas and now I know what it feels like to be tear gased with that..oh man..
Never doing this sh*t again.
Ubya
International Hazard

Mood: I'm a maddo scientisto!!!

[*] posted on 27-5-2019 at 15:02

The HCl is a catalyst, it should be used in really small quantities (Drops), to have that effect you must have added WAAAAAAY too much HCl

---------------------------------------------------------------------
feel free to correct my grammar, or any mistakes i make
---------------------------------------------------------------------
Loptr
International Hazard

Mood: Grateful

[*] posted on 27-5-2019 at 15:24

Sounds like you ended up halogenating the acetone with the chlorine being generated from the H2O2 and HCl.

https://sites.google.com/site/unusualchemistry/halogen-hydro...

"Question everything generally thought to be obvious." - Dieter Rams
bold_ing
Harmless

[*] posted on 27-5-2019 at 16:03

Indeed i added WAAAAAAAAAAYY too much yeah
Velzee
Hazard to Others

Mood: Taking it easy

[*] posted on 27-5-2019 at 19:48

Ahh, chloroacetone, I remember my safety-forsaken days:

Quote: Originally posted by Velzee  

On my first attempt(after around a year since my last go at making TATP), I used HCl as a catalyst, and did not cool the reactants **BEFORE** mixing them together and putting the mixture in the fridge. I went to go check up on it around twenty minutes later, and noticed it was boiling, and the plastic wrap I had covered it with had developed a US quarter-sized hole. I noticed an odd, pleasant, chlorine-like aroma coming from the fridge. I closed it, and began to felt like I was going sneeze. The best way I could describe it, was imagine eating a spicy pepper, and the spice building up. Replace the spiciness with pain, multiply it by a few levels, and that's how my nose was feeling after ten seconds. Tears literally started pouring out of my eyes as the pain and burning sensation in both my nose, and my eyes, AND my throat was beginning to overwhelm me in a way I've never experienced in my life. Turns out I accidentally made chloroacetone, a tear gas. It had to be one of the most painful experiences I've ever had.

Please be careful! These things are NOT worth synthesizing!!

[Edited on 5/28/2019 by Velzee]

Check out the ScienceMadness Wiki: http://www.sciencemadness.org/smwiki/index.php/Main_Page

"All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident."
—Arthur Schopenhauer

"¡Vivá Cristo Rey!"
—Saint José Sánchez del Río
bold_ing
Harmless

[*] posted on 28-5-2019 at 05:49

Ahh, chloroacetone, I remember my safety-forsaken days:

On my first attempt(after around a year since my last go at making TATP), I used HCl as a catalyst, and did not cool the reactants **BEFORE** mixing them together and putting the mixture in the fridge. I went to go check up on it around twenty minutes later, and noticed it was boiling, and the plastic wrap I had covered it with had developed a US quarter-sized hole. I noticed an odd, pleasant, chlorine-like aroma coming from the fridge. I closed it, and began to felt like I was going sneeze. The best way I could describe it, was imagine eating a spicy pepper, and the spice building up. Replace the spiciness with pain, multiply it by a few levels, and that's how my nose was feeling after ten seconds. Tears literally started pouring out of my eyes as the pain and burning sensation in both my nose, and my eyes, AND my throat was beginning to overwhelm me in a way I've never experienced in my life. Turns out I accidentally made chloroacetone, a tear gas. It had to be one of the most painful experiences I've ever had.

Please be careful! These things are NOT worth synthesizing!!

well what happened here is extremly similar to what happened to you, even the hole in the plastic wrap.
definitely learned my lesson.
SWIM
National Hazard

[*] posted on 28-5-2019 at 13:24

Next time you synthesize Satan, do it in a Pentacle.
Then he will be trapped in there until you cut one of the lines of the pentacle with a cold steel blade.

Yeah, that's right. I studied organic chemistry under Dr Faustus.

Failed my final when the best I could conjure up was Snulbug.

C6(NO2)5CH2CH(CH3)N(NO2)2
Harmless

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 14-6-2019 at 08:32

I tried that reaction other day. I cooled 100ml 3% H2O2 disinfectant, 6ml acetone, 11ml 10% HCl solution to 5C, mixed them and put the container in a container of ice. After 36 hr there was a faint cloudy precipitate at the bottom of the container. I left it for another 48 hrs, periodically changing out ice, without much more precipitate growing. I assumed the reaction had failed to work due to being diluted with so much water. I decided to stop adding ice to the container, and left it in the sun. About 8Hr later, it had gotten warm (30 or 40 C, if I had to guess), and I considered just flushing it. But A massive heap of precipitate (dimeric AP?) had formed at the bottom, and the solution was milky! I cooled it and most of the cloudiness dissipated along with the white precipitate. Warming it back up made some of the precipitate return. I am not sure whether AP is soluble in the reaction mixture only at low temps, or if it was some strange reaction with stabilizers in the disinfectant, or what, but it appears that there is *some* reaction in a diluted solution. I'll try to re-warm the solution and carefully separate a few hundred mg of precip, for a burn test.

Put that in your pipe and smoke it!
C6(NO2)5CH2CH(CH3)N(NO2)2
Harmless

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 22-6-2019 at 14:07

quick update: the next day, I heated the solution in an ~50C water bath for a few minutes(yeah, yeah, I know that sounds dumb, but I couldn't get it to precipitate any other way). the precipitate formed again, and I filtered it. Leaving the filter paper in the shade, the precipitate "melted" back into a clear, syrupy fluid, a bit under a ml worth. I dipped a blade of grass in it and exposed it to flame. It immediately solidified from the heat, and then re-melted (or pyrolysed) and burned without any explosive reaction. It's not AP, but does anybody know what this compound is?

Put that in your pipe and smoke it!

Go To Top