Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Best/worst countries for home chemistry
hkparker
National Hazard

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 13-12-2010 at 19:20
Best/worst countries for home chemistry

Hey guys

So I was wondering, from everyones experiences/what they have read, what are the best and worst countries for home chemistry (and not angering law enforcement)? I know New Zealand is pretty tough, and not many places are worse then Texas. Ive also heard the Canada is pretty relaxed about it. What about you guys?
Magpie
lab constructor

Mood: Chemistry: the subtle science.

[*] posted on 13-12-2010 at 19:32

http://www.sciencemadness.org/talk/viewthread.php?tid=4397

The single most important condition for a successful synthesis is good mixing - Nicodem
hkparker
National Hazard

[*] posted on 13-12-2010 at 20:37

Ephoton
Hazard to Others

Mood: trying to figure out why I need a dark room retreat when I live in a forest of wattle.

[*] posted on 18-12-2010 at 00:14

any country im in is a good one :)

even sing was pritty cool to me.

e3500 console login: root
bash-2.05#

cnidocyte
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 7-1-2011 at 09:43

USA and Australia sound terrible. My country (Ireland) isn't a bad place at all. The customs won't seize glassware and the police won't knock on your door and question you about why you bought lab equipment. I have never heard of a lab being raided in this country. I can't even find any news reports on google. I think the reason we have it so good is that there is a shortage of reckless underground drug chemists here to ruin it for us. Amphetamines are rare in this country and as far as I know, the majority, if not all MDMA here is imported from the Netherlands. Actually now that I think of it, a bomb making lab was raided in a town up near the border a few months ago
http://www.dundalkexaminer.com/2010/05/24/no-explosives-foun...
but they described it as a "factory" so I'm guessing it was an industrial sized IRA lab, not someone doing a bit of home chemistry.
bquirky
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 7-1-2011 at 09:55

Interesting.

Ithought Ireland had a long proud history of backyard bomb making :)
cnidocyte
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 7-1-2011 at 10:30

Yeah I know a good few people from the country that like their explosions but as far as I know none of them have ever been hassled by the police about this. You're country sounds like a nightmare for home chemists. On this forum I heard about 2 Aussies getting raided simply for ordering glassware from overseas. Insane that they can get a warrant to kick your door in without having a shred of evidence to indicate that you intend on breaking to the law.
bquirky
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 7-1-2011 at 11:18

I think People are just being unnesasarly paranoid but it may well make the hobby seem evan more exciting so who am I to spoil it :)

if you dont have any contact with 'drug culture' you wont have any trouble. random weird glassware laws are just there to pin on try hard crims.

you can walk into any local homebrew shop and by a full Distalation setup and a bunch of mesuring equipment glassware tubing preseure vestles etc

Seriusly Though if you want to keep your rights you have to use them its a bit like those 'open carry' guys in the US. If you cower away in a basement thinking 'oh no THEY might find my busen burner' your not relly doing yourself or anyone else any favors.

set your stuff up in a profesional mannor use the right reagents and equipment for your job, dont be antisocial and stink out your neigbors and if any one asks proudly show them around and explain what your up too.

If your getting relly serious get a basic small buisness registration in your contrey and voila your a litgitimate bluesky resarch operation.

But i might just be a White 21-45 yo Male and far to used to getting a fairgo.
Mildronate
Hazard to Others

Mood: Ruido sintetico

[*] posted on 7-1-2011 at 12:20

Russia and all countrys what was in soviet union.
cnidocyte
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 8-1-2011 at 21:57

Quote: Originally posted by bquirky  

if you dont have any contact with 'drug culture' you wont have any trouble. random weird glassware laws are just there to pin on try hard crims.

What do you mean by "contact with drug culture"? I study pharmacology as part of my chemistry course in college so I research the pharmacology and chemistry behind drugs. They haven't banned knowledge yet though so theres nothing illegal about anything I do.
Bismuth
Harmless

[*] posted on 8-1-2011 at 22:43

As in, you have contacts with dealers and the underground drug industry is what he means by 'contact with drug culture'. Taking mind altering substances probably would be a demise as well if you're caught as it will lead to much suspicion with what you're doing with a 'chemistry set'. It's pretty much the case, here in Australia. As long as you're not making drugs, they particularly care. Even energetics can be taken a blind eye by the police, as long as it looks legitimate and it seems you know what you're doing.
KemiRockarFett
Hazard to Self

[*] posted on 13-1-2011 at 17:02

In EU even Acetone will be banned due to that Big brother is introducing regulating and controling laws in pretext of "terrorists". :

http://ec.europa.eu/commission_2010-2014/malmstrom/archive/C...

In the 1800 it was Satan and in -30 and 40 is it was jews, after that it was communists. Today its "terrorists" and global warming scams. The elite always needs an enemy to frighten the sleeping population to accept all their shit.

Who in the hell could be so tired in the brain to think that a real terrorist would be stopped by this ?
metalresearcher
National Hazard

Mood: Reactive

[*] posted on 14-1-2011 at 01:14

What I miss in the document is :
mixed lighter alkanes (aka gasoline) and propane. These substances can be a very easy source for terrorist bombs (the May 2010 attack on Times Square NY) and none of the banned chemicals listed is required.
And when terrorrists do require these substances they get it from rogue states.

Such bans are hard to maintain. H2SO4 is the most used chemical after water. Yesterday a 2400 tons ship toppled in the Rhine in Germany (no H2SO4 leaked into the Rhine).

And we as hobby lab chemists get more creative for synthesizing these stuff (and unfortunately the terrorists as well).

Conclusion a useless effort of the politicians to get more control over the citizens.

[Edited on 2011-1-14 by metalresearcher]

Go To Top