Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Need Dry Sodium Hydroxide
reactofurnace
Hazard to Self

Mood: Volatile

sad.gif posted on 31-5-2019 at 16:17
Need Dry Sodium Hydroxide

For some reason, the stores in my location only sell aqueous sodium hydroxide which is actually quite pure cause its locally made. I think they did that to boost the sales of the local product, they stop importing the really good solid pellet sodium hydroxide.

Is it possible to boil off the what and obtain the sodium hydroxide maybe as a solid chunk then break it up later.

I plan on doing it in a steel can.

Any thoughts, suggestions? Anyone tried it before?

Also if anyone's interested i have a small YouTube channel focusing on chemistry and i plan on making some really interesting videos this summer- https://www.youtube.com/user/INVENTOR9991 :D

[Edited on 1-6-2019 by reactofurnace]
Amos
International Hazard

Mood: No

[*] posted on 31-5-2019 at 17:58

You'll heavily contaminate your NaOH with sodium carbonate that way, as it readily reacts with atmospheric carbon dioxide. Not to mention iron oxides in the product from degradation of your can. You could maybe try putting it in a desiccator over something like anhydrous CaCl2 or dry sulfuric acid(dangerous setup) but that would probably only work with small amounts. Probably better off finding an online supplier; I use Dudadiesel here in the US.

Go To Top