Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2
Author: Subject: Dangerously Funky Beakers
12AX7
Post Harlot

Mood: informative

[*] posted on 30-7-2005 at 23:18

Porcelain is like glass, actually it's mostly glass, that's why it has so little porosity. Average glazed ceramic is somewhat porous (like how the unglazed bottom ring of your coffee cup is rough) and would work very well. As for scratching, borosilicate is harder than soda-lime IIRC, which should then also be harder than most pottery. Alumina and such will definetly be able to scratch it though.

Huh, the main crystalline phase present in ceramics - mullite - is specified as mohs hardness 6-7 on one website, and 7-8 on another. :mad: Soda-lime glass is 6.5, IIRC.

Tim

Seven Transistor Labs LLC http://seventransistorlabs.com/
Electronic Design, from Concept to Layout.
Need engineering assistance? Drop me a message!
View user's profile Visit user's homepage View All Posts By User This user has MSN Messenger
Eclectic
National Hazard

Mood: Obsessive

[*] posted on 31-7-2005 at 05:50

Teflon scrap is easy to find on Ebay. I think it works because of low wettability and low surface adhesion. Microbubbles form easily along sharp edges.
demax
Harmless

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 7-11-2007 at 16:00
boiling chips

Max has some boiling chips and is looking to reflux some reagents.

max will reflux different quantities of liquid over the next week and is not sure what weight of boiling chips to add to say 500ml, 1000ml or 2000ml of liquid.

If someone could help me please.

-max
vulture
Forum Gatekeeper

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 8-11-2007 at 01:31

Usually it's sufficient if the bottom of the recipient is covered in a layer of boiling stones, as that is where boiling likely starts.

One shouldn't accept or resort to the mutilation of science to appease the mentally impaired.
 Pages:  1  2

Go To Top