Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
 Pages:  1    3    5  ..  8
Author: Subject: DIAMINOURONIUM (DI)NITRATE
underground
National Hazard

[*] posted on 4-7-2019 at 16:38

Quote: Originally posted by twelti  

I thought we were after the mono nitrate. That is 5 ml 10 mmole 2M NA.

You can use either 5 ml 10 mmole 2M NA and 10mmole DU or 2 M, 11.1 mL, 22.2 mmol and 22.2mmol DU for the mononitrate salt. It is the same. Molar ratio is what it matters.

[Edited on 5-7-2019 by underground]
underground
National Hazard

[*] posted on 7-7-2019 at 05:16

I just got some carbozydrazide and react it with some 65% Nitric acid . 97 grams of 65% NA (1 mole) was reacted with 90,1g of DU (1 mole). The reaction produces quite a bit of heat so i put the NA into an ice bath and add DU. Everything was dissolved really quick leaving an oil like substance. Trying to boil off the water does not work as it looks like it decomposes before even it crystallize out. The more water is removed the more like syrup became. It is a bit tricky to crystallize it out. I will try to put some into -20C and bring it back to room temp few times. Also i will put some into a desiccator bag to see if it will dry out.

[Edited on 7-7-2019 by underground]
twelti
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 7-7-2019 at 09:33

I mixed some up using the 2M acid. Not much, if any, heat. Put it in a dessicator for a couple of days, then vacuum for half an hour. I added approx equal volume of Methanol to it. Then into the freezer overnight. So far no luck getting it to crystalize though. Tried dropping a couple of crystals of PETN in to seed it. Nothing yet...

[Edited on 7-7-2019 by twelti]
underground
National Hazard

[*] posted on 7-7-2019 at 12:26

I removed as much water as i could with just gentle boiling. It become very thick. I added some ethanol, it actually was not dissolving a lot, remaining mostly on top. After adding methanol from clear solution become white. Put it into the deep freeze and became like honey consistency, like a white honey. From pdf that i have read it claims to remain at that low temp for couple of days. I will keep it freeze for about 4-5 days and i will bring it back to room temp and scrach the flask to see if i got anything.

MineMan
National Hazard

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 7-7-2019 at 13:45

It’s like being a little kid and waiting for your parents to get up in the morning on Christmas Day.
twelti
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 7-7-2019 at 15:16

Quote: Originally posted by MineMan  
It’s like being a little kid and waiting for your parents to get up in the morning on Christmas Day.

What did YOU get for Christmas? Some very insensitive, cheap an powerful secondary explosive? Ok, go play with the other kids!

Seriously:

I'm wondering if using a larger amount would help it start to crystalize. Are there any other nifty chemistry tricks? Ultrasound? Microwave?
I read in one place to scratch with glass rod at the liquid/air interface (i.e. not at the bottom of the container like I was). Also another trick, dip in the glass rod and remove, allowing liquid on it to evaporate or at least crystalized, then put it back in the liquid. Finally, what about colder temps. Salt/ice bath or even dry ice/alcohol?
twelti
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 7-7-2019 at 15:18

Quote: Originally posted by underground  
I removed as much water as i could with just gentle boiling. It become very thick. I added some ethanol, it actually was not dissolving a lot, remaining mostly on top. After adding methanol from clear solution become white. Put it into the deep freeze and became like honey consistency, like a white honey. From pdf that i have read it claims to remain at that low temp for couple of days. I will keep it freeze for about 4-5 days and i will bring it back to room temp and scrach the flask to see if i got anything.

Did you get an emulsion then?
underground
National Hazard

[*] posted on 7-7-2019 at 15:23

Yea it is still an emulsion. The stuff will not crytalize if you made the trick with the glass rod. I have made 2 bunches of 1 mole each. I got almost 2 moles of DUN, it is a bit big scale. For now i will just try to do whatever pdf say. In general they claim to keep it at -20C for several days as i said above. It is just few hours till now.

twelti
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 7-7-2019 at 15:58

Yea it is still an emulsion. The stuff will not crytalize if you made the trick with the glass rod. I have made 2 bunches of 1 mole each. I got almost 2 moles of DUN, it is a bit big scale. For now i will just try to do whatever pdf say. In general they claim to keep it at -20C for several days as i said above. It is just few hours till now.

Yeah it is strange that they say to let it go up to RT, then scratch. I would have thought it would crystallize at lower temp first.

I just put in a larger amount of PETN crystals in there as seed. Still only a fraction of a mg though.
twelti
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 8-7-2019 at 11:20

Is there any way the uncrystalized oil could be used, as a straight liquid explosive?
Tsjerk
International Hazard

Mood: Mood

[*] posted on 8-7-2019 at 12:16

Maybe it is an idea to take a known weight small sample, say a couple of grams, smear that out in order to form a big surface area and put that in a desiccator to see if there is still water in your sample. Maybe a last little bit of water is making things hard for you guys.

Is there any way the uncrystalized oil could be used, as a straight liquid explosive?

As long as your container and your detonator are watertight you can probably set it of while it being a liquid, why not?

[Edited on 8-7-2019 by Tsjerk]
underground
National Hazard

[*] posted on 8-7-2019 at 14:14

Quote: Originally posted by Tsjerk  

As long as your container and your detonator are watertight you can probably set it of while it being a liquid, why not?

I was thinking the same in worst case scenario, but it may be quite hard to ddt and the extra water may drop the performance. We have to try a desiccator bag too and maybe with some strong drying agents like concentrated H2SO4.

[Edited on 8-7-2019 by underground]
twelti
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 8-7-2019 at 14:39

Quote: Originally posted by Tsjerk  

I was thinking the same in worst case scenario, but it may be quite hard to ddt and the extra water may drop the performance. We have to try a desiccator bag too and maybe with some strong drying agents like concentrated H2SO4.

I tried with silica gel. So H2SO4 is better? What about P2O5?
underground
National Hazard

[*] posted on 8-7-2019 at 15:05

I dunno about P2O5. Try cacl/NaOH/H2SO4. You can put them all together separately into the same bag. Although h2so4 is the strongest.

Edit: After searching a bit i found that P2O5 is very strong desiccant agent, possibly even more than concentrated H2SO4. You can give it a try.

twelti
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 8-7-2019 at 19:25

So, I attempted to dry it some more, using gentle heat and then vacuum. I got it down to a fairly small amount of liquid. I think it was nearly water free. I added more methanol and put it back in the freezer for a day. Today there was something there. I thought maybe ice, and in fact some did melt, although reluctantly. Still 2 hours after I took it out, it has been at RT for a while now and Ive still got about half of the mass unmelted. May be a mix of DAUDN and water? Strange also since the first time I had it in the freezer for a day and a half and got NO crystals or ice. If anything there should be less water in it now, yet I'm getting this:

thumbnail (20).jpg - 150kB thumbnail (21).jpg - 130kB

most of that has melted but there is still some that is definitely a solid, at RT for 3 hours now.

[Edited on 9-7-2019 by twelti]
Microtek
National Hazard

[*] posted on 8-7-2019 at 23:45

Do you know what the solubility of DAUDN is in this solvent system? The "melting" that you see may actually be the product dissolving as the temperature rises and the solubility therefore increases.

About the dessicants: P2O5 is certainly a stronger dessicant than concentrated sulfuric acid. In fact also stronger than SO3, since P2O5 can dehydrate sulfuric acid to form SO3 and phosphoric acids of diferent kinds.
MineMan
National Hazard

[*] posted on 9-7-2019 at 01:05

Good job twelti! You made history! Now do a witness plate test:D
underground
National Hazard

[*] posted on 9-7-2019 at 05:51

Good job twelti. Step by step we getting closer to our goal.
wessonsmith
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 9-7-2019 at 07:15

So, I attempted to dry it some more, using gentle heat and then vacuum. I got it down to a fairly small amount of liquid. I think it was nearly water free. I added more methanol and put it back in the freezer for a day. Today there was something there. I thought maybe ice, and in fact some did melt, although reluctantly. Still 2 hours after I took it out, it has been at RT for a while now and Ive still got about half of the mass unmelted. May be a mix of DAUDN and water? Strange also since the first time I had it in the freezer for a day and a half and got NO crystals or ice. If anything there should be less water in it now, yet I'm getting this:

most of that has melted but there is still some that is definitely a solid, at RT for 3 hours now.

Not sure if this helps:

16.DIAMINOURONIUM DINITRATE
We recently investigated diaminouronium nitrate, which is a new secondary explosive. With
regard to development of new high-oxidizers the double-protonated compound
diaminouronium dinitrate (DAU_2NO3) was synthesized starting from cheap available
diaminourea, which is protonated with two equivalents of dilute nitric acid according to

Synthesis of diaminouronium dinitrate monohydrate.
The water is removed in vacuo and the product is isolated as a colorless solid after addition of
methanol to the evaporated residue. The compound crystallizes as a monohydrate although
showing an oxygen balance of 10.3 %. However, the water can be removed at 75 °C using
vacuo. DAU_2NO3 is completely insensitive towards impact and friction but, unfortunately,
decomposing already at 115 °C. Latter property retards probably all possible applications.

p44 https://www.serdp-estcp.org/content/download/10799/136954/fi...
twelti
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 9-7-2019 at 08:41

Quote: Originally posted by wessonsmith  

Not sure if this helps:

16.DIAMINOURONIUM DINITRATE
We recently investigated diaminouronium nitrate, which is a new secondary explosive. With
regard to development of new high-oxidizers the double-protonated compound
diaminouronium dinitrate (DAU_2NO3) was synthesized starting from cheap available
diaminourea, which is protonated with two equivalents of dilute nitric acid according to

Synthesis of diaminouronium dinitrate monohydrate.
The water is removed in vacuo and the product is isolated as a colorless solid after addition of
methanol to the evaporated residue. The compound crystallizes as a monohydrate although
showing an oxygen balance of 10.3 %. However, the water can be removed at 75 °C using
vacuo. DAU_2NO3 is completely insensitive towards impact and friction but, unfortunately,
decomposing already at 115 °C. Latter property retards probably all possible applications.

p44 https://www.serdp-estcp.org/content/download/10799/136954/fi...

Yes, that and the Fischer paper seems to be the only source on this synthesis that we are all using, as far as I know (and I have looked). There is one older, similar ref by the same author(s).

twelti
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 9-7-2019 at 08:44

Quote: Originally posted by MineMan  
Good job twelti! You made history! Now do a witness plate test:D

Right now I'd need to use aluminum foil as my witness plate, as I don't have a lot of material here. But I'm gonna make a much bigger batch.
twelti
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 9-7-2019 at 08:46

Quote: Originally posted by Microtek  
Do you know what the solubility of DAUDN is in this solvent system? The "melting" that you see may actually be the product dissolving as the temperature rises and the solubility therefore increases.

About the dessicants: P2O5 is certainly a stronger dessicant than concentrated sulfuric acid. In fact also stronger than SO3, since P2O5 can dehydrate sulfuric acid to form SO3 and phosphoric acids of diferent kinds.

That is what confuses me. What IS the solvent system. There should only be maybe some water, and if one removes that, DAUDN only. Maybe there was a small amount of water still in my mixture.
Microtek
National Hazard

[*] posted on 9-7-2019 at 12:23

Didn't you add methanol? This may function as a solvent or maybe an anti-solvent in conjunction with water, I can't really tell.
underground
National Hazard

[*] posted on 9-7-2019 at 12:48

I also did evaporate carefully as much water as i could (atmospheric pressure). It was like honey at room temp. I transfer it into deep freeze and i got few crystals. I checked it again after a while and more crystals came out. I will leave it all day there and check it after. Evaporating the water as much as possible and transfer it into deep freeze looks to be the way to go.

[Edited on 9-7-2019 by underground]
twelti
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 9-7-2019 at 13:57

Quote: Originally posted by Microtek  
Didn't you add methanol? This may function as a solvent or maybe an anti-solvent in conjunction with water, I can't really tell.

Right, of course, I forgot about that. It just seems weird to be adding a solvent to an oil.
 Pages:  1    3    5  ..  8

Go To Top