Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Making a dry-ice cold bath without dry ice :p
Keras
National Hazard

[*] posted on 6-6-2019 at 07:49
Making a dry-ice cold bath without dry ice :p

The usual way of cooling, say, acetone, to -76 °C circa is to use dry ice freshly belched out by a fire extinguisher.

I was wondering if that type of lighter spray can couldn't be used instead. Has anyone ever tried one of those? It can't go all the way to -76 °C, but is much less bulky.

EDIT: It would have to be bubbled through the solution, which can make it quite inconvenient, on second thought.

[Edited on 6-6-2019 by Keras]
Sulaiman
International Hazard

[*] posted on 6-6-2019 at 08:18

I've used freeze-spray many times to fault find electronics,
but I guess it would be expensive and suitable only for small sample volumes,
in which case a modified refrigerator and/or peltier cooling may be feasible ?

CAUTION : Hobby Chemist, not Professional or even Amateur
Keras
National Hazard

[*] posted on 6-6-2019 at 08:25

Quote: Originally posted by Sulaiman  
in which case a modified refrigerator and/or peltier cooling may be feasible ?

I never think about Peltier elements to cool things. Can they really work that low?
Sulaiman
International Hazard

[*] posted on 6-6-2019 at 08:34

How low can you go with peltiers = how much spare cash do you have :)
https://www.google.com/search?q=cryogenic+peltier&oq=cry...

P.S. Probably cheaper to recycle/liquefy air, propane, refrigerant gasses .. - or freeze spray gas !

[Edited on 6-6-2019 by Sulaiman]

CAUTION : Hobby Chemist, not Professional or even Amateur
Ubya
International Hazard

Mood: I'm a maddo scientisto!!!

[*] posted on 6-6-2019 at 09:17

Quote: Originally posted by Keras  
The usual way of cooling, say, acetone, to -76 °C circa is to use dry ice freshly belched out by a fire extinguisher.]

Really? I thought it was easy to just buy dry ice (not where I live though).
If you need to cool small masses you could use cascading peltier, but you would need a big power supply for that. If you can get your hands on a freezer, a water chiller, or anything really that uses a vapor compression cycle, you could tweak it to go to a quite low temperature

---------------------------------------------------------------------
feel free to correct my grammar, or any mistakes i make
Keras
National Hazard

[*] posted on 6-6-2019 at 12:01

Quote: Originally posted by Ubya  
The usual way of cooling, say, acetone, to -76 °C circa is to use dry ice freshly belched out by a fire extinguisher.]

Really? I thought it was easy to just buy dry ice (not where I live though).

Even if I could buy dry ice, where and how could I store it?

If you need to cool small masses you could use cascading Peltier, but you would need a big power supply for that. If you can get your hands on a freezer, a water chiller, or anything really that uses a vapor compression cycle, you could tweak it to go to a quite low temperature

Tweaking a fridge would mean either increase the duty cycle of the compressor, but I'm not sure it would work for long, because of quicker wear-out. Or increase the compression ratio, but is that feasible? – and even then, I wonder if it wouldn't end up cranking up the pressure at the cold side too. Dialling too low could also result in coolant gas condensation.

And that's not even taking thermal leaks (freezers are not that well isolated) into account.

BTW, why did the old fridges use CFC and not, say, nitrogen or argon, as coolant?

SWIM
National Hazard

[*] posted on 6-6-2019 at 12:50

There are big advantages to a coolant that is condensed to a liquid.
The latent heat of evaporation and all that guff.

Before CFCs they used stuff like ammonia, SO2, etc for similar reasons.
Those were some pretty mean items to deal with if your condenser coils got damaged and things started leaking.

How big are the items, or samples, or reaction mixtures you want to cool off?

Could be some answers are more suitable for certain scales than others, so clarifying that might help the discussion.

My impression is those coolant sprays are good for small items that only need cooling for a little while, but not so cost efficient for bigger things, or longer times.

[Edited on 6-6-2019 by SWIM]

Ubya
International Hazard

Mood: I'm a maddo scientisto!!!

[*] posted on 6-6-2019 at 14:20

Even if I could buy dry ice, where and how could I store it?

Tweaking a fridge would mean either increase the duty cycle of the compressor, but I'm not sure it would work for long, because of quicker wear-out. Or increase the compression ratio, but is that feasible? – and even then, I wonder if it wouldn't end up cranking up the pressure at the cold side too. Dialling too low could also result in coolant gas condensation.

And that's not even taking thermal leaks (freezers are not that well isolated) into account.

BTW, why did the old fridges use CFC and not, say, nitrogen or argon, as coolant?

You can't store dry ice for long periods, a big chunk my last a few days in a well insulated box, but usually you buy it when you need it.
As for the vapor compression cycle circuit you can tweak many things, first of all a fridge is not ideal as the condenser coil is passively cooled, the load must be small or the duty cycle must be short. The best would be a system with a big actively cooled condenser, like an ice machine or an air conditioner. As for the tweakings, an air conditioner, a dehumidifier or an ice maker machine already work with a 100% duty cycle, you could lower the temperature of the low side by increasing the pressure difference (longer capillary tubing), cooling more the condenser, changing the refrigerant for one with a lower boiling point, or even putting two systems in series (evaporator of one cycle cooling the condenser of the other cycle, obviously with a different refrigerant).
In a normal system refrigerant condenses in the condenser, and evaporates in the evaporator (removing heat), if liquid goes back at the compressor it could ruin it (liquids are not compressible), but if a tiny bit of liquid reaches the compressor is ok(subcooled system) as it evaporates and cools the compressor making possible to run it continuously without overheating

feel free to correct my grammar, or any mistakes i make
Keras
National Hazard

[*] posted on 7-6-2019 at 00:25

Quote: Originally posted by SWIM  

How big are the items, or samples, or reaction mixtures you want to cool off?

Oh, I just wanted to make NaNH2 out of liquid ammonia and sodium, and maybe try a Birch reduction. So microscale experiment.

You can't store dry ice for long periods, a big chunk my last a few days in a well insulated box, but usually you buy it when you need it.

Agreed.

As for the tweakings, an air conditioner, a dehumidifier or an ice maker machine already work with a 100% duty cycle, you could lower the temperature of the low side by increasing the pressure difference (longer capillary tubing), cooling more the condenser, changing the refrigerant for one with a lower boiling point, or even putting two systems in series (evaporator of one cycle cooling the condenser of the other cycle, obviously with a different refrigerant).

I mean, yeah, but that's not really tweaking. What you do here is scavenging a system to buy something similar but with different parts. What I thought you meant is that you could get away with it simply by, say, cranking a trimpot up or changing a resistor. Not that sort of overhaul.

[Edited on 7-6-2019 by Keras]

Go To Top