Sciencemadness Discussion Board
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Craiglist 100$ Glassware JACKPOT!!!! (Pics)
Chemguy5
Harmless

[*] posted on 9-6-2019 at 20:45
Craiglist 100$ Glassware JACKPOT!!!! (Pics)

So after logging onto Craigslist like I usually do to look for random lab equipment I came across this!

IMG_1516.jpg - 2.4MBIMG_1517.jpg - 2.3MB
Chemguy5
Harmless

[*] posted on 9-6-2019 at 21:24

I got all of this for 100$!! sucks that all the joints are random sizes and the only glass equipment I own is 24/40 but there is quit a few 24/40 pieces in the lot. Also there is that other joint type of which I am not familiar with but I have seen it before where its almost like a ball and socket. This collection of glass has all sorts of interesting pieces that I have no clue what they were used for, I am sure a lot of the pieces were custom maybe?

I would appreciate it if I could post the pieces that im unfamiliar with and maybe some of you can shed some light on what they were used for. I know there is already a thread for unusual glass but if its ok I would like to post the pics here of this thread. All the glass is name brand such as Ace and Pyrex. The pieces look a lot smaller in the pics than in person, for example the largest of the three Round Bottom Flasks that you see is 5000mL. There were two very unusual elaborate pieces included in the lot but unfortunately on of them was broken and the other one was in perfect shape until I accidently stepped on it in the middle of the night while I had it all out on the floor like in the pics. although I will place the pieces back together on the floor so you can attleast kind of see the uniqueness of the piece and how elaborate it was. I was almost maybe thinking a ketene lamp of some sort but not sure.

I cant wait until I start posting some better pics and maybe hopefully getting some answers to my questions. There is part of a soxhlet extractor that is gigantic which is pretty cool. Also I would just like to say I have many doubles and even pieces that I won't really benefit from and if anyone sees a piece they like/need/want im always up for a trade of some kind or if you would like to buy a piece from me im sure I can work out a fair price.

I will post more pics ASAP.
j_sum1
Administrator

Mood: Organised

[*] posted on 9-6-2019 at 22:06

Did you get it?
There is a lot of cool stuff there. It would be worth getting some quality stoppers to compensate for the lack of ground glass joints.

Chemguy5
Harmless

[*] posted on 9-6-2019 at 22:55

yes I purchased it. and ya I will now buy the correct joint sizes and etc. to match.
happyfooddance
National Hazard

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 9-6-2019 at 23:29

Holy frig that is a nice haul for $100.

You could sell a lot of that piecemeal for much more.

Those vacuum manifolds are useful and can be quite expensive.
Ubya
International Hazard

Mood: I'm a maddo scientisto!!!

[*] posted on 10-6-2019 at 02:55

for just 100$ you are set for life

---------------------------------------------------------------------
feel free to correct my grammar, or any mistakes i make
---------------------------------------------------------------------
SWIM
National Hazard

[*] posted on 10-6-2019 at 07:44

I see a couple of solvent distillation heads, and a couple of PTO distillation heads.
Those are expensive.

The manifolds are expensive too, as was said above.

They often use metal clamps with screw type locks for those spherical joints.
You can find those used on Ebay, and they last pretty much forever.

There are also glass joint adaptors that go from spherical to regular tapered joints.
Those are less common used, but handy if you have a mixed set of glassware.

Make that 3 PTO heads.

[Edited on 10-6-2019 by SWIM]

karlosĀ³
International Hazard

Mood: oxazolidinic 8)

[*] posted on 10-6-2019 at 12:38

Wow, congratulations on that! :o
Dr.Bob
International Hazard

[*] posted on 10-6-2019 at 18:12

If you can post a few photos at a time of individual items, we can help name the and say what they are for. There are some nice things there, and some I can't tell without a better photo. Good job.
Chemguy5
Harmless

[*] posted on 11-6-2019 at 06:16

This has a ball/socket type joint at top and an ordinary 24/40 joint on the side arm. the middle section is vacuum insulated with some sort of reaction chamber within it. There is a thermometer well going deep into the reaction chamber and also some kind of smaller diameter tubing snaking its way from top of apparatus down to the bottom inside reaction chamber ending just before the Tap on the bottom. also there seems to have been a tube connecting the side arm to the bottom just above the tap. This was not just a support but rather something that played a role in what ever this piece was used for, too bad it has broke off :(

IMG_1538.jpg - 1.9MB IMG_1539.jpg - 1.9MB
Chemguy5
Harmless

[*] posted on 11-6-2019 at 06:26

more pics.

IMG_1540.jpg - 1.8MB IMG_1541.jpg - 2MB
Dr.Bob
International Hazard

[*] posted on 11-6-2019 at 09:03

Looks kind of like a vessel to collect liquified gases into (like ammonia or acetylene) from a condensner mounted above. The main vessel appears to be vacuum jacketed, and that implies something cold the way it is set up. You would bring in the gas from the left long 24/40 male jointed arm, condense it above, and then it would drip back in and be stored in the center. Side addition port may have been for a thermometer or addition of reagents (like sodium or base). Just my best guess, I have never seen this exact set up before.
Chemguy5
Harmless

[*] posted on 12-6-2019 at 10:07

Heres a pretty big soxhlet extractor, I just wanted to post it and show you all the massive size of this thing! Although im not sure what that little tube coming out of the left hand side is for... does anyone have any idea?

Oh and the thing that looks like a giant test tube I included in the pic only because it was inserted into the top of soxhlet they share the same joint size but I don't believe they belong together. Im not sure what it is maybe a big cold finger?

IMG_1543.jpg - 1.4MBIMG_1544.jpg - 1.9MBIMG_1545.jpg - 2MB
SWIM
National Hazard

[*] posted on 12-6-2019 at 10:18

Strange...
Usually a Soxhlet would have a full width top for putting the materials in, but a liquid/liquid extractor shouldn't have that kind of siphon tube. It would fill up once and drain the sample into the boiling flask, where you don't want it.

The side tube is just above the level to establish the siphon effect.
I don't know what it is, but maybe it's for an inert gas inlet, I could be for adding solvent if the extraction is under vacuum or inert atmosphere.

But the small top opening and the Soxhlet siphon seem like an odd combination to me.

The tube looks like a thermometer well to me, but you could use it as a cold finger: 2-hole stopper in the top and two glass tubes for the water flow.

[Edited on 12-6-2019 by SWIM]

Chemguy5
Harmless

[*] posted on 12-6-2019 at 14:02

oh ya you are right SWIM on my smaller soxhlet the top has a very large opening so what ever material you want to extract is easily inserted....hmmmm strange

Go To Top