Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Preparation of acridine-9-nitrile
chemx01
Hazard to Self

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 18-12-2010 at 00:28
Preparation of acridine-9-nitrile

Hi,
I'm trying to make some luminescent acridine esters but in order to do so I need Acridine-9-carboxylic acid, which is made from acridine-9-nitrile. I have a question about that procedure, because I can see, that the KCN solution is mixed with an acid, so I'm thinking would that relase HCN? Or would the HCN be quickly reacted, so it can't escape? I think that because it's refluxing, the HCN can't be dissolved in the reaction mixture, but is it possible, that when i'm filtering it, it can relase? I think that the best would be insert a bubbler with Na2S2O3 solution which will quickly form thiocyanate if the HCN being relased or do you have better idea?

acridine-9-nitrile
Acridine (25 g, 0.14 mol) is dissolved in ethanol (110 ml) and the solution is added to glacial acetic acid (8 ml). A solution of KCN (12 g, 0.31 mol) in 20 ml water is added and the mixture is stirred under reflux for 1 hr. After cooling, the precipitate is filtered off and washed with 2 M NaOH solution and water. It is dissolved in chloroform and dried over anhydrous Mg2SO4. Evaporation of the filtrate to dryness and recrystallization from n-propanol yields acridine-9-nitrile
Ephoton
Hazard to Others

Mood: trying to figure out why I need a dark room retreat when I live in a forest of wattle.

[*] posted on 18-12-2010 at 01:22

if your worried about HCN I would drip the KCN solution into the stirred refluxing solution
then trap up with caustic.

e3500 console login: root
bash-2.05#

chemx01
Hazard to Self

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 23-12-2010 at 02:52

Thanks,
but another question comes to mind, how to absorb the HCN produced?
You wrote something basic, that means it'll form NaCN , I'd rather completly destroy it. Is there such thing which i'll bubble HCN through and form relatively harmless compound?
I know about oxidation via hypochlorite, but is there a better methond or is the hypochlorite efficient enough?
I thought that i'll bubble it trough sodium thiosulphate and form sodium thiocyanate, but I haven't found anyhting which prooves that it'll work, does it work only in human body or does it work in this case?
Thank you very much for any suggestion or anything.
Ephoton
Hazard to Others

Mood: trying to figure out why I need a dark room retreat when I live in a forest of wattle.

[*] posted on 25-12-2010 at 00:01

Never tried as cyanides are to hard for
me to get.

I would think basic KMnO4 as it will trap
the acid as a salt then hopefully oxidize
it.

The stronger the base the safer.

But why not recycle.

Bee green :D

e3500 console login: root
bash-2.05#

Go To Top