Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2  
Author: Subject: UNBELIEVABLY CHEAP microscopes
wg48temp9
National Hazard

[*] posted on 15-6-2019 at 02:37

I guess the scam is to offer items at very attractive prices. Then send fake dispatch data to the buyers.

I assume ebay pays the seller before the item is delivered. Because of the long delivery times from China, it allows the seller to accumulates lots of sales before the negative feedback and none delivery stops the sales.

The seller then terminates his account and disappears preventing ebay or paypal from snatching back any money.

Sadly I was enticed to buy too but in my defense I have got my money back from ebay in a similar scam.

As its already been said if its too good to be true it usual is.

I am wg48 but not on my usual pc hence the temp handle.
Thank goodness for Fleming and the fungi.
Old codger' lives matters, wear a mask and help save them.
Be aware of demagoguery, keep your frontal lobes fully engaged.
I don't know who invented mRNA vaccines but they should get a fancy medal and I hope they made a shed load of money from it.
Herr Haber
International Hazard

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 15-6-2019 at 04:24

I have never had a problem I couldnt solve with Ebay's or Paypal's people.
True, I spend a lot on eBay, have a small store and... have been using the platform since 97.

I dont know if they take any of this into account during our interactions but I cant think of a problem they didnt solve in my favor.
They admitted having access to eBay's mail system, so as long as you are honest and tried to solve the problem with the seller they will side with you.

I recently got a (crappy) usb microscope that the seller couldnt provide the software that was advertised with for free.
A good microscope would be a great help...
j_sum1
Administrator

Mood: Organised

[*] posted on 15-6-2019 at 04:47

I bought one on the off-chance. Not the same link as above but same product by different seller.
Including tax it came to less than 15 localbucks. It is not too big a risk, although I am expecting I will probably be pushing for a refund in a few weeks,

Incidentally, while browsing I saw several iterations of the same product: prices up to $576. If it is liquidation then folks out there are onselling and hoping to make a killing.

Sulaiman
International Hazard

[*] posted on 15-6-2019 at 06:01
trivia ...

. my second microscope has now also been flagged as shipped ... no tracking

. the model B020C microscope pictured in the eBay offers
has the same serial number as the B1020C in photographs on the AmScope website

. the exact same generic DIN set of four objectives is priced at £48.72 on eBay uk

..... good luck to all of us that took the gamble .....

CAUTION : Hobby Chemist, not Professional or even Amateur
Morgan
International Hazard

[*] posted on 15-6-2019 at 06:22

I once walked in a thrift store and they had a couple dozen microscopes that were used for high school students. They were heavy but not all that powerful and no light, but I bought one for 5 dollars. Just coarse and fine focus.
diddi
National Hazard

Mood: Fluorescent

[*] posted on 15-6-2019 at 16:36

i have ebay dispatch notification for mine... now the wait. scope or refund from ebay??

Beginning construction of periodic table display
Morgan
International Hazard

[*] posted on 15-6-2019 at 18:03

Does anyone have an idea how much the actual list price is for that microscope? A few reviews and how to report a suspected fraud account is shown below. Seems odd that the listings haven't been shut down. Would ebay lose money having to possibly refund buyers or can they hold payments on accounts by retracting payment somehow, say not actually letting the seller have money until the delivery day is met, through the credit card system? Or maybe they just eat the losses on small insured buys?

Reviews on our seller ...
FAKE ACCOUNT DO NOT BUY ANYTHING FROM THIS SELLER NEEDS REPORTING THIEF SCAM i***t ( 754Purple star icon for feedback score in between 500 to 999) During past month
36 Rolls 1.9"x110 Yards(330' ft) Box Carton Sealing Packing Package Tape Clear & (#323744686137) US $0.99

Never shipped 0***0 ( 1716Red star icon for feedback score in between 1,000 to 4,999) During past month
Video Computer Racing Gaming Chair w/ Footrest Office Recline Leather Back Seat (#323817384257) US $6.48

How to avoid seller fraud
Any attempt by sellers to misrepresent themselves, or the products they're selling, is seller fraud. Here are some warning signs to look out for:

Short duration listings: Fraudulent sellers often want to close a deal quickly. The longer their listing is on eBay, the greater their chances of being caught – so be cautious when you see one-day listings. However, there are valid exceptions to this, such as tickets to an event happening soon

Heavily discounted or sold-out items: Be wary if a seller has lots of high-value items at suspiciously low prices, or a stock of hard-to-find goods that are sold out everywhere else. If a deal seems too good to be true, it probably is

Off-eBay contact or payment: eBay Messages is the safest way to contact other members. Always be careful if a seller asks for your personal contact details, such as an email address or phone number. They may be trying to get you to complete a purchase off eBay, for example by paying cash or transferring money to an overseas account. This is against our policy, and your purchase wouldn't be covered by eBay Money Back Guarantee

Unsafe payment methods: We don't allow some payment methods on eBay because the payment can't be traced or recovered if there's a problem. You shouldn't go ahead with a transaction if a seller asks you to pay using a method that's not included in our Accepted payments policy

What to do if you suspect a seller is fraudulent
If you think you're dealing with a fraudulent seller, report it to us as soon as possible. We'll look into it.

https://www.ebay.com/help/buying/resolving-issues-sellers/av...

[Edited on 16-6-2019 by Morgan]
Morgan
International Hazard

[*] posted on 16-6-2019 at 07:16

From the AmScope site
40X-2500X LED Lab Binocular Compound Microscope with 3D-Stage
B120C
$429.99 Reduced to $214.99
https://www.amscope.com/instantsearchplus/result/?q=b120c
XeonTheMGPony
International Hazard

[*] posted on 16-6-2019 at 17:32

well I got a "Tracking Number" Yet to see if it actually shows as shipped soon
Pseudoscience
Harmless

[*] posted on 16-6-2019 at 22:51

Yep I’ve also got it “dispatched” with a China post tracking number
j_sum1
Administrator

[*] posted on 16-6-2019 at 22:53

I received no tracking number. I looked at feedback and it was 14 identical comments on a dress. My seller is a new ebay member with a name composed of what could be randomised letters.

I contacted ebay to let them know I was suspicious. I got a reply that seemed to be from an actual person. They thanked me but said they will not intervene until the expected due date has passed. Then I am entitled to a refund which they will do directly if there is no response from the seller.

I guess they are carrying the risk here. I will either end up with a cheap scope or effectively lose 6 weeks interest on fifteen bucks. The bigger concern is getting a defective or poor quality item.

Pseudoscience
Harmless

[*] posted on 16-6-2019 at 22:59

Quote: Originally posted by j_sum1  
I received no tracking number. I looked at feedback and it was 14 identical comments on a dress. My seller is a new ebay member with a name composed of what could be randomised letters.

I contacted ebay to let them know I was suspicious. I got a reply that seemed to be from an actual person. They thanked me but said they will not intervene until the expected due date has passed. Then I am entitled to a refund which they will do directly if there is no response from the seller.

I guess they are carrying the risk here. I will either end up with a cheap scope or effectively lose 6 weeks interest on fifteen bucks. The bigger concern is getting a defective or poor quality item.

If you received something that isn’t what you ordered just file a item did not match description report with eBay
j_sum1
Administrator

[*] posted on 16-6-2019 at 23:31

Quote: Originally posted by Pseudoscience  

If you received something that isn’t what you ordered just file a item did not match description report with eBay

Yeah, but something like poor quality lenses or slack focussing mechanism may be a bit more difficult to nail down. Like I said though, eBay is carrying the bulk of the risk (more than they should IMO, given the possibility of fake feedback to disguise a grab-and-run operation). All things considered, the risk-reward ratio is stacked well in my favour.

wg48temp9
National Hazard

[*] posted on 17-6-2019 at 00:22

My seller on ebay UK (sehrisami_0, from Palistan) is similar, they have been on ebay since feb with a feedback back score of 57 100% positive, 14 transaction but their listing for the micrscope claims 484 sold (I assumed that was an ebay created number but apparent not), they have 92 other items for sale most are about correct on price.

But I expect it is a scam

I don't know who invented mRNA vaccines but they should get a fancy medal and I hope they made a shed load of money from it.
Mikeyb2k
Harmless

[*] posted on 21-6-2019 at 16:41

Quote: Originally posted by wg48temp9  

My seller on ebay UK (sehrisami_0, from Palistan) is similar, they have been on ebay since feb with a feedback back score of 57 100% positive, 14 transaction but their listing for the micrscope claims 484 sold (I assumed that was an ebay created number but apparent not), they have 92 other items for sale most are about correct on price.

But I expect it is a scam

I too have purchased the same microscope as the above. It was £9.45! It must be a scam but I was intrigued, and even though thought it was scam thought what the hell. Even if it comes and doesn't work might be able to do something with it such as purchase lenses etc. The eBay seller again same as above has dodgy looking reviews for different products same comments all on same days and some same buyers e.g.a***j. All positive apart from the 17th June stating it's a scam although for a different product. I came upon this forum to see if anyone has had one delivered but not looking like it. Will update if I do even if doubtful but worth a punt at that price!

Edit....check out the listing for the microscope and if you are over 18 the sellers other listings. Very weird selection of mostly metal instruments of some kind. Bizarre!!

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/AmScope-40X-2500X-Binocular-Lab-C...

[Edited on 22-6-2019 by Mikeyb2k]
SWIM
National Hazard

[*] posted on 22-6-2019 at 11:01

Quote:

Edit....check out the listing for the microscope and if you are over 18 the sellers other listings. Very weird selection of mostly metal instruments of some kind. Bizarre!!

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/AmScope-40X-2500X-Binocular-Lab-C...

Hey, they sell darbies!

Never seen Darby handcuffs before with a ratchet.
Ratchets without double locking capability...
I bet you could open them with a screwdriver.

[Edited on 22-6-2019 by SWIM]

Morgan
International Hazard

[*] posted on 23-6-2019 at 05:20

https://community.ebay.com/t5/Archive-Bidding-Buying/why-are...

https://community.ebay.com/t5/My-Account/My-account-was-hack...

https://www.salehoo.com/blog/avoiding-the-nightmare-of-accou...

[Edited on 23-6-2019 by Morgan]
Sulaiman
International Hazard

[*] posted on 25-6-2019 at 16:12
One of my two microscopes de-listed from eBay

"... We're writing to let you know that we've removed an item you recently won due to concerns with the seller's account:
362674958513 - AmScope 40X-2500X Binocular Lab Compound Microscope with 3D Mechanical Stage LED ..."

One seller (honm58) down ... one seller (sehrisami_0) to go :P

j_sum1
Administrator

[*] posted on 25-6-2019 at 16:34

I just checked. I have the same communication -- same seller.
I have to wait until 23 July to open a case and get my money back.

Oh well, worth a shot. I would have been miffed i it had been a fire sale and I missed out.

Twospoons
International Hazard

Mood: A trace of hope...

[*] posted on 25-6-2019 at 20:57

If it really were a firesale you would have probably received a lump of melted plastic for that price.

Helicopter: "helico" -> spiral, "pter" -> with wings
Sulaiman
International Hazard

[*] posted on 26-6-2019 at 19:37

Today ebay informed me that my second microscope order (this one from from seller sehrisami_0) has been de-listed.

Looks like we will be asking for refunds ... not:cool:

Sorry for any inconvenience caused,
but I could not resist trying :P

maybe next time ? ..................

Ubya
International Hazard

Mood: I'm a maddo scientisto!!!

[*] posted on 27-6-2019 at 01:46

Quote: Originally posted by Sulaiman  
Today ebay informed me that my second microscope order (this one from from seller sehrisami_0) has been de-listed.

Looks like we will be asking for refunds ... not:cool:

Sorry for any inconvenience caused,
but I could not resist trying :P

maybe next time ? ..................

we'll have our money back, it was worth a try, don't worry :D

---------------------------------------------------------------------
feel free to correct my grammar, or any mistakes i make
---------------------------------------------------------------------
Sulaiman
International Hazard

[*] posted on 18-7-2019 at 20:32

I just received a refund from eBay for the first AmScope that I ordered :)
... two more to go :P

wg48temp9
National Hazard

[*] posted on 18-7-2019 at 21:51

I just received a refund from eBay for the first AmScope that I ordered :)
... two more to go :P

Thanks for reminding me. I just requested my refund.

teodor
National Hazard

[*] posted on 19-7-2019 at 02:14

A question for microscopists :
assuming that the lenses (objective and eyepiece) are what is specified,
(magnification factor and N.A.) and diffraction limited,
what would be the highest usable magnification ?
(I don't have a 'feel' for microscopes, e.g. for telescopes I consider x50 magnification per inch of objective aperture the point where more magnification just increaseses the fuzziness)

Well, my biggest telescope has 16 inch mirror but maximal usable resolution is 400-600 depending on the night. We are always limited by atmospheric turbulence, it is not usual to have resolution much better than 2 arc secs.

The requirements to microscope optics are quite different. The most important parameter is a resolution. You can make Leeuwenhoek Microscope by melting a thin glass thread and you can get easily 100-250 x magnification, and this will be under $1. You can use this microscope for many observations (I did). So, when you buy a microscope you pay for quality, not for magnification (but it is true for any optical instrument).

For general purpose I strongly advice against biological type of microscope - they require a good skills of sample preparation (and some very specific knowledge and set of instruments also). They work only in transmitted light. They have no zoom. They are almost useless for occasional observations - probably you will start with strained onion skin but also will end with it. That's all.

If you already have a stereo microscope for general observations and for sample preparation and want to buy a biological one probably you should chose one with phase-contrast optics. The plain optics working in transmitted light is useless for general observation - you can see only strained particles. And it is almost nothing if you don't know how to selectively strain particles or your object has no parts you can strain separately.

Also, most affordable microscopes have achromatic objectives. One apochromatic microscopic objective will cost $2000 - $5000. One objective. So, we are typically limited to achromats. And that limit for telescopes - x50 per inch - is for apochromats. So, when we tell about microscopes the most important things are:

- type of build
- type of light
- quality (precision) of optics

I would not buy a microscope under $300. Just because this type of things always occupy a space which otherwise can be occupied but much better things .

[Edited on 19-7-2019 by teodor]
 Pages:  1  2  

Go To Top