Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
 Pages:  1    3
Author: Subject: ANNM/ detonation
Rosco Bodine
Banned

Mood: analytical

[*] posted on 1-8-2011 at 11:11

I'm pretty sure the storage instability problem was real and was reported in reliable literature. It was a problem which led to having to redesign the munition
filler and use an alternative composition. So far as I know this is not some urban myth but was documented in DOD published literature. That has been a few years ago and the particular references to cite I don't know, but they probably do exist since it is not a trivial issue when bomb storage depots go up all by themselves after some vague sort of "expiration date". Ordinarily a "fail safe"
engineering rule is applied to munitions where unreliable function is manifested as a dud which does not fire, rather than a failure being manifested as an unexpected self-initiation which may be even more inconvenient.
Bot0nist
International Hazard

Mood: Streching my cotyledons.

[*] posted on 1-8-2011 at 11:33

Quote: Originally posted by Rosco Bodine  
Ordinarily a "fail safe"
engineering rule is applied to munitions where unreliable function is manifested as a dud which does not fire, rather than a failure being manifested as an unexpected self-initiation which may be even more inconvenient.

Lol, I'll say.

U.T.F.S.E. and learn the joys of autodidacticism!

Don't judge each day only by the harvest you reap, but also by the seeds you sow.
KemiRockarFett
Hazard to Self

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 1-8-2011 at 12:55

Quote: Originally posted by Rosco Bodine  
I'm pretty sure the storage instability problem was real and was reported in reliable literature. It was a problem which led to having to redesign the munition
filler and use an alternative composition. So far as I know this is not some urban myth but was documented in DOD published literature. That has been a few years ago and the particular references to cite I don't know, but they probably do exist since it is not a trivial issue when bomb storage depots go up all by themselves after some vague sort of "expiration date". Ordinarily a "fail safe"

Still need explanation of how a higly water containing Al/AN gelly goes high order spontaniosly. This must be of serious concern as very many comersial explosives are based on water/AN/Al base. Therefore I wounder why this is not reported more on. Have somebody access to articles on the subject please add link to pdf file. Some interesting chemistry to learn.
We need to know more.
watson.fawkes
International Hazard

[*] posted on 2-8-2011 at 06:44

Quote: Originally posted by KemiRockarFett  
Still need explanation of how a higly water containing Al/AN gelly goes high order spontaniosly
Why do you keep assuming it was detonation? Deflagration would be almost as inconvenient as a surprise.
Gargamel
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 11-6-2015 at 08:26

I decided to resurrect this old topic, because it is mentioned in the compendium thread.

Reading the Wikipedia article on ANNM, I found this statement:

Quote:

Depending on the detonation impetus (for example a #6 versus a #10 detonator), the products of the detonation can be decidedly unstoichiometric.

Does that mean ANNM is capable of low order detonation?
I was under the impression that once you got it going, it will accelerate itself to it's own characteristic Vdet?

[Edited on 11-6-2015 by Gargamel]
VladimirLem
Hazard to Others

Mood: Have no fear <Vlad> is here.

[*] posted on 11-6-2015 at 08:36

Quote: Originally posted by Gargamel  

Does that mean ANNM is capable of low order detonation?
I was under the impression that once you got it going, it will accelerate itself to it's own characteristic Vdet?

it could be, as far as i know
Using ANNM may be not that much because it is very easy to ignite and so its not that much likely than with lets say ANFO or Ammonal mixtures but i think most explosives can detonate low order.
The more easy they are to ignite, the less seems it to go low order...

A strong Det-Cap/Booster is never worthles afaik
Madchemistrystudent
Harmless

[*] posted on 7-9-2019 at 17:15

I'm going to give this a whirl. I don't see any obvious drawbacks since I've got fresh NH4NO3 and one liter of 100% NM
I've read that it's very powerful if everything is right.

[Edited on 8-9-2019 by Madchemistrystudent]
 Pages:  1    3

Go To Top