Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2
Author: Subject: Sulfuric Acid in UK
Pseudoscience
Harmless

[*] posted on 30-6-2019 at 10:39

Quote: Originally posted by Tsjerk  
I know one can perfectly make TATP with 12% H2O2, but you have to start somewhere, don't you?

This was 500 grams of TATP detonating in a bus instead of a train as it was intended to.

https://www.theguardian.com/society/2005/jul/07/terrorism.tr...

At least I understand where the politicians are coming from.

[Edited on 30-6-2019 by Tsjerk]

Only half a kilo Christ that’s not much. You see I would google this stuff but I’d rather not end up on another list
hissingnoise
International Hazard

Mood: Pulverulescent!

[*] posted on 30-6-2019 at 11:05

Quote:
Only half a kilo Christ that’s not much. You see I would google this stuff but I’d rather not end up on another list

You're afraid to google organic peroxides ─ are you serious?

Tsjerk
International Hazard

Mood: Mood

[*] posted on 30-6-2019 at 11:37

Quote: Originally posted by Pseudoscience  

0.3 grams of PETN laying loose on a lock like this breaks the inside and opens it. Energetics are not to be fooled around with.

[Edited on 30-6-2019 by Tsjerk]
andy1988
Hazard to Others

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 30-6-2019 at 13:05

Quote: Originally posted by Housane  
How conc. is the acid made in electrolysis of CuSO4 using a Pb and Cu electrodes?

Oh what a coincidence I was watching this earlier today, on the youtube channel 'ScrapScience'. The author advocates electrolysis of epsom salt (magnesium sulfate, MgSO4) instead of CuSO4 as it is cheaper. He also analyses electrode choices for this.

Video description:
Quote:
Electrochemically splitting magnesium sulfate into sulfuric acid and magnesium hydroxide using an electrolytic diaphragm cell. This is similar to a previous video I made where I made sulfuric acid from copper sulfate, though using a sulfate salt where the cation has a higher reduction potential than hydrogen makes the process a bit more difficult.
Based on the fact that epsom salt is around $10/kg for me (AUD), theoretically the H2SO4 generated by this method would cost about $22.50/litre (if it were concentrated to 98%), much cheaper than most sulfuric acid sources.

Edit: I also question the wisdom of the UK H2SO4 possession law. Acid attacks seem to be fit of madness or gang/intimidation behaviour (copycat behaviour perhaps) by people with no interest in chemistry. Now appropriately stopped at retail shops at least, I doubt those types would ever distill anything and instead find some other tool. I've seen an honor killing by an immigrant (Iranian?) father running over his daughter with a vehicle in their driveway. He never regretted it in court and blamed Western society for corrupting his daughter IIRC. So... maybe they should ban cars. (joke) But really I think the solution would be found by using psychology to guide policy.

[Edited on 1-7-2019 by andy1988]

Pages:  1  2

Go To Top