Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
 Pages:  1    3  4
Author: Subject: Help with CHP
Brightthermite
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 26-6-2019 at 22:16
Help with CHP

Hey everyone I am new to this forums but have been tinkering with this kind of stuff for awhile. I recently tried to make some CHP per LL video. I am using lab ammonium hydroxide (28-30%). CuO Hexamine and NH4ClO4 where all purchased from pyrotechnic websites so I am assuming they are pure.

When I try this synthesis I get small yields around 5 and 6 grams, much less then the expected 10. The solution itself looks like the same colors as what I have seen in videos. But when I filter it the salt is dark purple blue. After reading the "tetraamine copper perchlorate" thread I am under the impression that it is suppose to be a dark purple blue? I am pretty sure this is unreacted CuO. I saw on a comment on the video that it could have to do with the CuO purity. Any idea how I can check he purity?

One gram in straw of my CHP will not explode like in Darians video, it just burns. However it is snappy with a hammer.

So I included some picture to hopefully help whats going on. All caps that were used were made according to the Berta video except with a bit of flash powder placed on top for the reason stated above. The plate is 3 mm thick.

Thanks everyone, and sorry for the boat load of info and questions I have just been at this for awhile and was getting frustrated.
Brightthermite
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 26-6-2019 at 22:18

IMG_8895.JPG - 1.5MB IMG_8901.JPG - 1.3MB IMG_8900.JPG - 1.4MB

IMG_8894.JPG - 2.8MB

IMG_8893.JPG - 4.4MB
Brightthermite
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 26-6-2019 at 22:21

IMG_8898.JPG - 2MB IMG_8892.JPG - 1.6MB IMG_8897.JPG - 2.1MB
MineMan
National Hazard

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 27-6-2019 at 14:47

I have never never had any luck using CuO. Only some of it reacts and I have yet to figure out how to effectively separate the rest, since water destroys this product. Make it with copper wire instead and you will have success.

Don’t have your flash powder contact the CHP or TACP it reacts with Al. To see what I mean place some on Al foil and heat to 100C.
Brightthermite
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 27-6-2019 at 18:53

I wasnt aware that it reacts with Al thank you. I try to keep a layer of plastic rap in between things like that. Using copper wire do you get expected yields?
MineMan
National Hazard

[*] posted on 28-6-2019 at 18:11

Quote: Originally posted by Brightthermite  
I wasnt aware that it reacts with Al thank you. I try to keep a layer of plastic rap in between things like that. Using copper wire do you get expected yields?

Yields are poor because TACP I soluable in ammonia.
Brightthermite
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 29-6-2019 at 11:37

More cooling then. Would leaving the lid open allow the solution to evaporate off and leave the salt?
Laboratory of Liptakov
International Hazard

Mood: cool.gif

[*] posted on 5-7-2019 at 10:56

According photo is your crystalls really dark. Too much dark blue. Almost black I see. Somewhere is error. You can try firstly prepare pure TACP. In method from video ... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ERevYEszAwo
And after add hexamine 6% + AP 6% + 88% TACP (dry compounds weighing) And mixing under a few drop of ammonia water as porridge consistency. Drying at 50C, create grain 2x2 mm. Thats all. This method give almost identical properties as method CHP video. Material must have properties (before filling) as in end of video CHP. Thus 0,3 gramms in alu foil (6 - 10 layers approx) should by detonatable by slowly heating by the candle. Or even less of amount 0,2g.....:cool:---Do not use Aluminium powder in cavity---

[Edited on 5-7-2019 by Laboratory of Liptakov]

Development of primarily - secondary substances CHP (2015) Lithex (2022) Brightelite (2023) Nitrocelite (2024)
Flawed Soul
Harmless

[*] posted on 10-7-2019 at 13:50

Wow, I was having the same problems as brightthermite. This helps a lot. Thanks.
Flawed Soul
Harmless

[*] posted on 19-7-2019 at 15:25

I did the TACP synthesis from the video and added the hexamine and AP later like you described, the product turned out great. Thanks LL.
Laboratory of Liptakov
International Hazard

[*] posted on 20-7-2019 at 21:36

I thank you, that was successful. This confirms that the laws of nature are the same throughout the world.....:cool:...LL

Development of primarily - secondary substances CHP (2015) Lithex (2022) Brightelite (2023) Nitrocelite (2024)
Brightthermite
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 20-7-2019 at 21:59

Flawed Soul, did you get the yield you were expecting using this method? And just for the sake of information, my CHP with large amounts of CuO in it detonated when a cap was used.
Laboratory of Liptakov
International Hazard

[*] posted on 21-7-2019 at 03:08

Yields in metod copper wire - roll container are always high. Usually on inserted dry 30g NH4ClO4 (AP) are 30 - 36g dry TACP. According quality process of cooling - separation. And by quality of setting of entire process. Best thickness of copper wire is 1,25 mm and weight 12g. Long 90 cm I estimate. After reaction is weight of wire 3 - 4g. The excess of described shaped metal is important for exact run of reaction. 1 - Because wire is possible watching easy and estimate end of process. 2 - thin wire automatically decrease speed of reaction and hold temperature between 20 - 25 C. 3 - the wire is easy remove from solution. Rolling container is it most easy method how to obtain TACP. In cause if you have not a big storages of pure CuO powder....:cool:...LL

Flawed Soul
Harmless

[*] posted on 24-7-2019 at 09:21

Brightthermite, I didn't weigh it, I was more interested in trying to get it to come out right. I did get a good bit more using the wire method than the previous method I used that left me with a large amount of unreacted CuO.
hedgehog
Harmless

[*] posted on 5-5-2020 at 06:52

My first post here. Very happy to be online with all you knowledgeable folks. Been messing with this stuff for years (HMTD, R-Salt, SADS, etc.) trying to make a reliable detonator.
Especially excited about synthing some CHP. Would it be possible to utilize potassium perchlorate versus the ammonium? I have plenty of KClO4 and was wondering if you could use a stoichiometric amount of it and obtain CHP that way. Possibly mix it in a solution of sodium hydroxide first? Not sure if the potassium will work in the schweizer's or not. LL or anyone please let me know. Thanks.
IrishJeremy
Harmless

[*] posted on 30-12-2020 at 19:18

I asked LL the same thing on YouTube. KClO4 won't work, but NaClO4 will. Good luck with it!
Laboratory of Liptakov
International Hazard

[*] posted on 2-1-2021 at 01:53

Most frequently asked question in the production of TACP: Is it possible to use KClO4 ..? .... Answer: It is not possible to use KClO4. Here is a video of what will happen: From 5:20 ....
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L0pyL1VYLT8&t=325s

The most efficient method for preparing TACP:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ERevYEszAwo

The most efficient way to produce CHP: Reagents:
TACP ................. 4.4g
Hexamine .......... 0.3g
NH4ClO4 .......... .0.3g
Am.wat.25% ...... 1.0g (variabile 0.3 - 1g)

Procedure:
All 4 compounds mixing together to consistency porridge on inert surface. (stainles steel of Dog bowl and coffee spoon is ideal. (not use bowl your dog)

Heated on 40 - 50 C helping hot air gun setting on 80 - 120 C. And constant mixing. Smelly process. From porridge arises lumps during a 1 - 3 minute. Crusing almost dry lumps to consistency 5x5 mm parts, chips.

Using sieve, using spoon, and pressing through eyes of sieve 1x1 or 2x2 mm on warm surface 30 - 50 C. Shaking on surface 2 - 5 minute to dry crystalls.
Long drying process (for example 30 minute) decrease power of CHP. Not absolut dry CHP works well.
Very super dry CHP after 60 minute drying at 40C is weak. (partially decomposition, out of NH3 from molecule)
Done.
Storage in plast hermetic container at 15 C 1 years without changes.

[Edited on 2-1-2021 by Laboratory of Liptakov]

Jebby
Harmless

[*] posted on 6-5-2021 at 07:24

I may just be stupid but quick question is TACP a reagent for making CHP, or is TACP an explosive itself?
Laboratory of Liptakov
International Hazard

[*] posted on 6-5-2021 at 14:22

TACP is power explosive itself. And because his OB is + 14,5, is possible add some fuel. Best is hexamine, which is stabille in molecule TACP or in mixture with TACP. Because TACP is very alkaline. TACP + hexamine (3-7%) = CHP.
Others fuels, for example nitrocellulose or aluminium and next, can be in mixture with TACP unstable.

Jebby
Harmless

[*] posted on 7-5-2021 at 06:03

Okay thank you LL
Laboratory of Liptakov
International Hazard

[*] posted on 7-5-2021 at 08:47

If you will work with TACP or CHP several times and repeatedly, you will soon leave the fear of manipulating primary substances. CHP can withstand rough handling. Scraping of planchet from a warm stainless steel pan. Pressing into the steel cavity in the vice. If the cavity is open, the pressed CHP will only burn out like a rocket engine. From short direct flame. No transition to detonation. However, if the cavity closes, DDT will occur until to speed on 7500 m / s. Glowing wood chip causes just burn. (HMTD detonates straight away)

Nitrosio
Hazard to Self

[*] posted on 13-5-2021 at 23:40

Attachment: TACP.pdf (706kB)
This file has been downloaded 801 times
Attachment: TACP2.pdf (10kB)
This file has been downloaded 431 times
Gargamel
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 9-7-2021 at 13:38

I wanted to try this for years, now I finally got my first batch of CHP ready :)
I did not use the detour via TACP but directly copied the CuO method as LL once presented.
For 10g AP I got 12,3g.

I found that the filtrate was black, there was still CuO, which of course passed through the filter (some 450mesh).
MineMan wrote something similar somewhere earlier in the TACP tread.
Seems to me the ratios are not ideal, a little less Oxide maybe...

How dry is yours usually? I did 5min at 50°C, then let it sit at room temperature for a few hours. It seems to be almost dry, very little ammonia smell... I wonder if that was too much. On the other hand, how would you light stuff thats not 100% dry, let alone have it in touch with a fuse...?

Since AL is said to be incompatible with CHP, does that mean Al tubes will be attacked on the long run?
I'm not worried about the tube, but the shelf life of the CHP touching it.

I prefer fuse caps for practical reasons, now the question is, what kind of fuse and prime mixtures are compatible... Being a pyro guy and rather no chemist, BP+ metal or Monocapa are typical choices...
If Al is not viable, MgAl is certainly not better - how about silicon?

[Edited on 9-7-2021 by Gargamel]

[Edited on 9-7-2021 by Gargamel]
Laboratory of Liptakov
International Hazard

[*] posted on 10-7-2021 at 07:24

First CHP...?.....Congratulaton....:cool:
For reliable function of CHP is 5 minute drying process at 50C pretty enough.
Next drying on air is unseless. Best tube for final device is copper, because during a weeks create next crystalls inside. From slightly wet CHP. Therefore final pressed tube device copper - CHP hold CHP in fresh, with maximal reliability of DDT. Also, copper is heavy and has bigger resistance during detonation. Same thick Alu tube can fail from reason only, because is light.

Brightthermite
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 10-7-2021 at 16:29

LL, so you press you caps with wet CHP?
I was never able to get the drying process to work well for me. One day air drying has worked amazing tho
 Pages:  1    3  4

Go To Top