Not logged in [Login - Register]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  ..  17    19
Author: Subject: Synthesis of longer chain tertiary alcohols
oldtimer
Harmless

[*] posted on 2-1-2017 at 17:27

Where I live, 1-pentanol and "octyl alcohol" are easily available. I am however not sure, if the latter is 1-octanol or some branched isomer. 1-butanol I have in the lab.
I will try to prepare some 2-methyl-2pentanol, 2-methyl-2hexanol and 3-methyl-3-heptanol.

As to quantities: If I remember blogfasts posts correctly, he used about 5 .. 6 grams of alcohol for each of his potassium runs. 25 g should therefore be a quantity that allows a few of these experiments.
Alice
Hazard to Self

[*] posted on 17-4-2017 at 05:30

In the meantime I had two new ideas about obtaining long chain tertiary alcohols.

My first idea was to alkylate raspberry ketone and perform a Grignard afterwards. The advtantage is to deal with solid products, thus easy purification compared to high boiling and badly crystallyzing liquids.

Second, cyclization of citronellol with an acid in order to obtain either the alkene with further addition of water or dihydro terpineol directly. A problem is to obtain citronellol. An alterternative synthesis is starting from citronellal, which needs to be reduced to citronellol first. A general problem is to identfy reaction products. The advantage is to avoid reducing an alkene compared to the previously discussed synthesis of terpineol followed by precious metal reduction to dihydro terpineol.

I think I'll try the raspberry ketone based synthesis first as I expect less pitfalls and the same iodoalkane can be used for both steps. Nevertheless this may take a while...

[Edited on 17-4-2017 by Alice]
 Pages:  1  ..  17    19

Go To Top