Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Isoproyl Nitrite gasmask
mewrox99
Hazard to Others

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 30-12-2010 at 05:04
Isoproyl Nitrite gasmask

An experiment I plan on doing next year at home is the synthesis of isopropyl nitrite. I plan on making this compound as an experiment and not to get high (Nitrites sound super unpleasent).

Will an activated charcoal respirator designed to protect against paint solvent in conjunction with preforming the experiment outside, protect me from the intoxicating fumes.

entropy51
Gone, but not forgotten

Mood: Fissile

[*] posted on 30-12-2010 at 06:09

Quote: Originally posted by mewrox99  

Will an activated charcoal respirator designed to protect against paint solvent in conjunction with preforming the experiment outside, protect me from the intoxicating fumes.
It's an organic nitrite, not sarin.

If you do the prep outside, or in a well ventilated room (windows open with a fan running) you won't need a gas mask.

Wearing a gas mask outside while playing with glassware is not a good idea, unless you enjoy talking to law enforcement officers.
bbartlog
International Hazard

[*] posted on 30-12-2010 at 06:21

If you're doing it outside and going about it properly (ice bath, chilled reagents) so as to avoid excessive heating, I wouldn't even bother with the mask. It's an intoxicant and not a terribly dangerous one, so treating it like phosgene seems unnecessary. Also, if you have the gear for a proper workup (distillation apparatus with a condenser that you can run ice water through) you should already have what you need to keep things contained.
smuv
National Hazard

Mood: Jingoistic

[*] posted on 30-12-2010 at 10:14

I have generated more volatile Ethyl nitrite, inside without a gas mask or any elaborate ventilation. I could not smell the nitrite and I never got a headache. As the others have stated, don't worry about it. Worst case, you get a mild headache and you leave. While alkyl nitrites are carcinogens they are only mildly so. Likewise in terms of incidental exposure from working with them, the acute toxicity of alkyl nitrites is relatively low.

Good luck.
Magic Muzzlet
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 30-12-2010 at 10:53

Haha I really thought this was going to be about making a mask to breathe alkyl nitrites with, but yeah they are no problem unless you stick your nose in the flask pretty much. Even if you do they aren't really a problem, I'm not advising this however(obviously the point at which you stick your nose in is after the washing, distillation etc!). Good luck with your synthesis. :)

[Edited on 30-12-2010 by Magic Muzzlet]
mewrox99
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 30-12-2010 at 15:32

Ok. Cool that's reassuring. I'll give the synthesis a try some time shortly when I get around to getting some NaNO2

Here was the video I got the idea from:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ygAxh81WaWg

Where can I find a proper synthesis that tells me what amounts of chemicals to use

bbartlog
International Hazard

[*] posted on 30-12-2010 at 16:32

If you google 'isopropyl nitrite synthesis' (mind that you actually bother to spell 'isopropyl' correctly, rather than reproduce the error in your post title), then the first hit is a link that should give you the information you want.
bahamuth
Hazard to Others

Mood: Under stimulated

[*] posted on 30-12-2010 at 18:53

Isopropyl nitrite is not that toxic if you do not have a heart condition or blood disease, but as those do exclude working with nitrites so I guess I disregard those.

Alkyl nitrites may be a fun and learning experience in handling chemicals, and learning about exposure to them. As they give a rapid onset of a feeling of "bloodrush" to the brain, often accompanied by laughter, even with minute exposure.

Was the third thing I synthesized IIRC and was kind of hard to explain to classmates why I laughed my ass off cleaning glassware form preparing isopentyl nitrite.

Also did all the other short chain alkyl nitrites I had alcohols for, which was most of them, up to and including the pentyl isomers.

If you do not have a fumehood, it may be wise to do it outdoors unless you do not mind to get lightheaded. (headache follows...)

PS. It is easy to do it in a closed system if you have the apparatus parts for it to limit exposure.

PPS. Do not fear the alkyl nitrites, fear the NOX gases forming!!! They might kill you...

PPPS. Most of the short chain alkyl nitrites was to my experience not unpleasant, and IIRC the IPA derivative only made my ears feel hot with a slight lightheadedness....

Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.
smuv
National Hazard

Mood: Jingoistic

[*] posted on 30-12-2010 at 21:43

Actually, In that video MANY mistakes are made. Better directly follow a textbook procedure. You probably wont find one for isopropyl nitrite, but for amyl nitrite or butyl nitrite you will. Simply adjust the quantities so an equivalent molar amount of isopropanol is used and you will be fine. Mainly cooling and slow addition are paramount. If you see orange gas being evolved, you are adding TOO fast.
UnintentionalChaos
International Hazard

Mood: Nucleophilic

[*] posted on 30-12-2010 at 21:48

Have a look at Vogel in the scimad library. That book has a procedure for some alkyl nitrite, which can be adjusted for iPrOH. I recently made a lot of methyl nitrite, but it was immediately consumed by bubbling into the reaction mixture. From what I've read, alkyl nitrites seem to degrade on storage, so I wouldn't make very much unless you have an immediate use.

Department of Redundancy Department - Now with paperwork!

'In organic synthesis, we call decomposition products "crap", however this is not a IUPAC approved nomenclature.' -Nicodem
mewrox99
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 31-12-2010 at 03:18

Nah I'm just making it because it seems like a nice example of inorganic esterfaction. Plan on dumping it the day I make it

Also will charcoal respirators protect against NOX. My balcony is fairly private so I doubt I'll catch the eye of NZ's grossly unequipped police force

[Edited on 31-12-2010 by mewrox99]

Go To Top