Sciencemadness Discussion Board
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Preserving Youtube Chemistry & science videos that may be banned
RogueRose
International Hazard

[*] posted on 13-7-2019 at 08:45
Preserving Youtube Chemistry & science videos that may be banned

IDK if I missed the boat on this but I heard they were taking down stuff on EM's and various chemistry videos'. Well I've found a LARGE group of data horders who's hobby it is to preserve stuff like this and they are willing to do what is needed to preserve the data and make it available on other sites, by torrents and other methods. I'm going to be a part of this and might have to be an organizing/directing force in this b/c most of them are not science or chemistry oriented.

When I talk about backups I'm talking multi terabytes to 10-40 could be available for this, so we sould be able to save what is left. The problem is that I can't find all the channels and video's myself.

Would it be possible to get help from all you guys and maybe submit video's you like? Maybe from your saved/favorited videos? This can be as easy as a couple clicks with a plugin that allows you to capture the links to all video's on the page - so if you go to your library in Youtube, maybe labeled "Chemistry" , or Favorites (if it's all chemistry), you can select all the links on the page, and paste them into a text file. Once there ripping them from the site can be automated by the group.

There's another way that I haven't used yet and that is where you just submit a link/url to the "hoarders" site, and from there it is split up between the members to pull them down ASAP to a centralized server, which then allows for direct viewing, downloads and torrenting of single of bulk files. We want to get these spread out so there is no one repository that can be targeted.

I'll look into the exact procedures and report back, but in the meantime if you could make a new folder (or use an existing one) of all chemistry stuff - making a separate Energetics would be very helpful TBH, and add the video's you like, or all that you see, to that folder, that would be awesome b/c once that is done, I can get your list from you in about 30-60 seconds once I write up the procedure for each browser.

So, please let me know what's going on in the YT community as far as these video's AND other categories/sectors that YT is banning - the hoarders are up for saving all info.

If you already have some data that you saved, that's great. I had about 500GB+ of chem video's but my 4TB HD failed during a disk imaging process, taking the other 4TB drive with it - poof, 2 1/2 years of work lost for the most part. I gotta look into recovery of that but it will be pricey I think. I don't want to hear about backing up either, the other 4TB drive was the backup which was being updated with new info....
fusso
International Hazard

[*] posted on 13-7-2019 at 10:17

Isnt there already a thread qbout this?

Morgan
International Hazard

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 13-7-2019 at 11:57

I noticed Cody took down the old squirting mercury between the gap in your teeth "routine". Did anyone save that?
Amos
International Hazard

Mood: No

[*] posted on 14-7-2019 at 04:54

Increasingly this stuff is migrating to BitChute, including the entire arsenal of ChemPlayer videos, and many other YouTube chemists or former ones are now uploading anything remotely spooky to the site. If you are a particular fan of anyone who has had stings I would recommend contacting them and asking them to upload there, as they likely still have the original video files.
chemplayer...
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 16-7-2019 at 00:38

The big question is what do we do in a post Bitchute world? Perhaps not in 1, 2, or X years, but it will come eventually.

And don't say anything that has 'blockchain' or 'crytocurrency' related to it.

Watch some vintage ChemPlayer: https://www.bitchute.com/channel/chemplayer/
Amos
International Hazard

Mood: No

[*] posted on 16-7-2019 at 08:09

Quote: Originally posted by chemplayer...  
The big question is what do we do in a post Bitchute world? Perhaps not in 1, 2, or X years, but it will come eventually.

I guess we wait for a hosting site that has no interest in becoming a top competitor for ad revenue. This may well be the one, at least for a decade or so. If Reddit could spawn a clone just for the purpose of spreading bigoted and hateful content, and LiveLeak still exists, surely we can always count on a website to host scientifically or journalistically relevant video content.
streety
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 19-7-2019 at 16:01

What is the hoarding site you've found? A lot of material is being uploaded to https://archive.org/ - the same site that runs the wayback machine.

I started downloading chemistry related content a while back when content/channels started disappearing. What I have downloaded has now expanded beyond chemistry and is now in the low single digit TB range.

Quote: Originally posted by Morgan  
I noticed Cody took down the old squirting mercury between the gap in your teeth "routine". Did anyone save that?

It's not something I have any interest in myself but I do download all his videos and have that one.

Quote: Originally posted by Amos  
Quote: Originally posted by chemplayer...  

I guess we wait for a hosting site that has no interest in becoming a top competitor for ad revenue. This may well be the one, at least for a decade or so. If Reddit could spawn a clone just for the purpose of spreading bigoted and hateful content, and LiveLeak still exists, surely we can always count on a website to host scientifically or journalistically relevant video content.

That might not be good enough. There was some controversy around patreon not so long ago that seemed to indicate pressure being applied from multiple directions including payment providers. There may come a time when keeping this content online requires the type of steps used to keep sci-hub, piratebay, etc online.

Even if it is online somewhere obscure if new people do not know where to look they may never be exposed to new ideas/an interesting hobby.
Bmoore55
Hazard to Self

[*] posted on 19-7-2019 at 16:20

I have always wanted to get into making videos. Is it just pointless at this point to put stuff on YouTube? Is it that bad?
j_sum1
Administrator

Mood: Organised

[*] posted on 20-7-2019 at 00:39

Quote: Originally posted by Bmoore55  
I have always wanted to get into making videos. Is it just pointless at this point to put stuff on YouTube? Is it that bad?

Nah. Do it. The more good chem on yt the better.

streety
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 20-7-2019 at 05:35

Definitely not pointless. If you want to make videos you should not let potential issues with youtube stop you.

I think it would be useful to consider what your motivation is and what you hope to achieve though. Youtube is probably still going to give you the best exposure but there will be topics unlikely to stay on the platform over the long term.
chemplayer...
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 20-7-2019 at 20:02

Our advice would be to enjoy the process and learning and make the videos anyway! If we could go back we would start off by having multiple publishing sites (YT, Bitchute, etc.) and then cross-reference them all by writing articles and comments using a few different social media IDs (Twitter, Reddit etc.). You also have to choose - you can still have anonymity (just), but in doing so you forego any commercial prospect and may as well mark your content as 'open source'. Would love to get back into the game, but time is extremely limited with other projects (one day...). And it takes a LOT of time and effort unfortunately, but it is very rewarding.

Information and discourse are now too powerful for TPTB to ignore, and political groups are evolving to become identity-oriented using social media to gather and rally supporters. So expect to see increased politicisation of social media and the internet as a whole, and constant changes in the landscape over the coming years, increasingly political rules and attempted control of content, a cat and mouse game of decentralisation across all different architectural components, plus lots of stops and starts and experiments in content freedom and access which fail (but ultimately long-term I believe will succeed) along the way. Now politics may not be your concern, but the amateur science community unfortunately will get caught up in the cross-fire.

With this in mind a number of different closely guarded repositories of historical content will be very valuable.

Watch some vintage ChemPlayer: https://www.bitchute.com/channel/chemplayer/
Pyro_cat
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 23-7-2019 at 08:24

Quote: Originally posted by RogueRose  
they were taking down stuff on EM's and various chemistry videos'.

Meanwhile I usually won't click on any firearms related video because then my suggestions get taken over by more gun videos that are often incredibly stupid.

Not opening the door on the gun debate, that never ends, but really, its OK to go outside and make a video firing bullets that can hurt someone a mile away but mild videos on DIY firecrackers get banned ?

Does every 13 year old need detailed instructions on making unstable EMs , not sure about that.

There is a middle ground between an irresponsible free for all and total censorship and in my opinion YT has moved way to far towards the latter.

Likely who ever is making the ban decisions at YT are not science nerds so any video with "scary" chemicals they hit with the ban button.

Or maybe they just want to dumb down the population and have everyone's focus on what celebrity cheated on their spouse or got addicted to drugs lately and intellectually stimulating videos are getting in the way of that.

Go To Top