Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Miscellaneous Questions
Yttrium2
Perpetual Question Machine

[*] posted on 16-7-2019 at 20:21
Miscellaneous Questions

It's been a while since I've boughten stuff off of eBay, but I remember in the past I got 2 separate thermometers. One was with a kit and one came alone by itself. One was much easier to read than the other thermometer. Does anyone know which thermometer it was that was easier to read?

Also, what would be the most minimal amount of items required for a beginner laboratory setup? Unitednuclear has a student setup that looks nice but it's only 25ml.

Also, what size beaker will fit beneath a 250mL Erlenmeyer for sublimination experiments?

How come the graduated cylinder with the removable plastic hexagonal bases are more rare?

I was thinking it might be nifty to 3D print a base for a 100mL test tube. I think this would be a handy addition to the apprentice, also it'd be better to boil material in vs a graduated cylinder.

Can people make flasks from glass tubing or do the flasks need to be at least 2.5mm thick? --Thatd equate to flasks that aren't very wide in diameter!

Last and final question, what size/diameter tube would be ideal for use in distillation from a stopper stop a 250mL Erlenmeyer? Taken into consideration that it's a certain size and has a certain diameter, perhaps only certain amount of solvent can boil away due to these dimensions and therefore this information is pertinent in deciding the width/diameter of the tubing.

Sulaiman
International Hazard

[*] posted on 17-7-2019 at 00:41

It's been a while since I've boughten stuff off of eBay, but I remember in the past I got 2 separate thermometers. One was with a kit and one came alone by itself. One was much easier to read than the other thermometer. Does anyone know which thermometer it was that was easier to read?
I don't know, but maybe a clue ? ... my thermometer from a kit is smaller diameter than my other thermometers

Also, what would be the most minimal amount of items required for a beginner laboratory setup? Unitednuclear has a student setup that looks nice but it's only 25ml.
It depends upon what you want to do and how creative you are. Much of the greatest chemistry and biology has been done with much less and more primitive equipment than I own.

Also, what size beaker will fit beneath a 250mL Erlenmeyer for sublimination experiments?
100ml easily, 250ml just about, the Erlenmeyer will be resting on its curved part which will make it unstable

How come the graduated cylinder with the removable plastic hexagonal bases are more rare?
I have about 50 graduated cylinders, some round and some hexaganal at the base, all are glass only.
A plastic ring around the top to prevent damage when you knock over a grad.cyl. may be more useful

I was thinking it might be nifty to 3D print a base for a 100mL test tube. I think this would be a handy addition to the apprentice, also it'd be better to boil material in vs a graduated cylinder.
Boiling in a tall slim vessel is not a good idea as you are more likely to eject boiling liquid, use a wide surface area at the liquid/gas interface
Graduated vessels should not be used to boil liquids in, primarily because they are not designed for it and may (probably will) crack, also, calibration may be significantly affected.

Can people make flasks from glass tubing or do the flasks need to be at least 2.5mm thick? --Thatd equate to flasks that aren't very wide in diameter!
Thick glass is good to protect glassware from us, thin ner glass can withstand thermal shock better than thicker glass.

Last and final question, what size/diameter tube would be ideal for use in distillation from a stopper stop a 250mL Erlenmeyer? Taken into consideration that it's a certain size and has a certain diameter, perhaps only certain amount of solvent can boil away due to these dimensions and therefore this information is pertinent in deciding the width/diameter of the tubing.
The rate at which liquids boil is determined mostly by how quickly heat is added
The diameter then determines the speed of the vapour, temperature and surface area of the tube in contact with the vapour detemines how quickly the vapour condenses
If the tube is too thin then collected liquid will be blown out of the end of the tube,If the tube is too short then some vapour will exit the tube un-condensed

[Edited on 17-7-2019 by Sulaiman]

CAUTION : Hobby Chemist, not Professional or even Amateur
Yttrium2

[*] posted on 17-7-2019 at 02:12

So a 250ml Erlenmeyer sets into which sized beaker for a sublimination experiment?

I'm talking about the graduate cylinder with round bases, in a plastic hexagon.

How about a 12mm 1.5thick 9mmID tube. 500mm in length, these could be melted together to form a long aircondenser-

Or just regular polypropylene tube?

Sulaiman
International Hazard

[*] posted on 17-7-2019 at 02:24

Google 'Erlenmeyer Flask',
and also find a photo/drawing of what you are calling a graduate cylinder

I have tried air-cooled glass tubing as a condenser - do not bother - buy or build a cheap water-cooled condenser.
(unless distilling moonshine in the woods)

CAUTION : Hobby Chemist, not Professional or even Amateur
Herr Haber
International Hazard

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 17-7-2019 at 04:10

Thermometer: I have several and broke several... I especially like my mercury thermometers (probably Galinstan) as I read from them easily compared to my Alcohol / Toluene ones. I paid big bucks for this thermometer so maybe its quality also helps.

Graduated cylinders: The ones with a plastic base are more rare but... I dont like them anyway. I'd rather have one with the base attached. Easier cleaning.
A base for a big tube could be a good idea but why bother ? You probably have a small metal box somewhere (for tea or whatever). Just use it if you dont have a test tube holder. I use a chipped beaker for that.

The spirit of adventure was upon me. Having nitric acid and copper, I had only to learn what the words 'act upon' meant. - Ira Remsen
Yttrium2

[*] posted on 17-7-2019 at 05:14

Bump

Go To Top