Sciencemadness Discussion Board
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  
Author: Subject: Paper Detonator #8 Power!
wessonsmith
Hazard to Others

thumbup.gif posted on 17-7-2019 at 09:53
Paper Detonator #8 Power!

I want to circle back and reintroduce my "firecracker Mix" as a legitimate paper tube detonator.

I have done some more testing, and the results are undeniable. The properly heat treated mixture flawlessly functions as a high energy detonation source. The test involves a very watered-down version of my ETN plastic, 80% ETN & 20% polymer matrix. I did this to decrease the sensitivity to the point where it's on par with something like Semtex 1A, which contains 17% polymer matrix. I am extrapolating my figures from these papers:

RDX-C4 (p.780)
https://pdfs.semanticscholar.org/de2b/cc1f14ee15cbac5252fd97...

Semtex (p.3)
https://www.researchgate.net/publication/277341420_Character...

PETN/ETN (p.7)
http://www.wydawnictwa.ipo.waw.pl/cejem/vol_14_No_2_Early_Vi...

Detonator requirements: (p.21 - 22)
https://explosia.cz/app/uploads/2017/11/Explosives-catalog-2...

My plastic tested(80%):
Impact Sensitivity (J): 20
Friction Sensitivity (N): 180
Requires #8 power detonator

PETN based plastic (86%):
Impact Sensitivity (J): 13.9
Friction Sensitivity (N): 176

RDX-C4(91%):
Impact Sensitivity (J): 21.1
Friction Sensitivity (N): 214

Semtex 1A(83%%):
Impact Sensitivity (J): 21.1
Friction Sensitivity (N): 187

Semtex 10(86%):
Impact Sensitivity (J): 15.7
Friction Sensitivity (N): 204

PETN:
Impact Sensitivity (J): 3.93
Friction Sensitivity (N): 75.1

ETN:
Impact Sensitivity (J): 3.28
Friction Sensitivity (N): 38.9

As the video clearly shows, the plastic detonated. It detonated even though it was applied to the shaft of the tube, without any compression holding it on. Anyone who has an understanding of initiating explosives knows that for the plastic to detonate in this manner, the brisance must be very high. Fast enough to initiate the plastic before the pushing force of the explosion pushes the plastic out of the way.

As mentioned previously, the process of manufacture is amazingly simple. Place the powder into a paper tube sealed at one end with hot glue and compact the powder with wooden dowl. Place the paper tube into a NON-FLAME heat source and heat at 185F for 10min. That's it. Add a fuse and seal with hot glue.

What are your thoughts?

Link to video test:
https://youtu.be/N71NYIBL8Zo

Remember that's a 12 Kg steel plate.

[Edited on 17-7-2019 by wessonsmith]
underground
National Hazard

[*] posted on 17-7-2019 at 15:12

It is indeed very interesting primary and i am sure it is going to be used more in the near future. Really good job.
Laboratory of Liptakov
International Hazard

Mood: cool.gif

[*] posted on 18-7-2019 at 12:44

For someone can be NHN difficulty available. But if it works as sintered powder in paper tube, is it a new invention. Appropriate name can be sintered detonator. It describes the essence of the new composition. We thanks for sharing. Very interest......:cool:...LL
Still some penetration through 2mm steel plate and the invent will be complete.

Development of primarily - secondary substances CHP (2015) Lithex (2022) Brightelite (2023) Nitrocelite (2024)
wessonsmith
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 18-7-2019 at 13:06

Quote: Originally posted by Laboratory of Liptakov  
For someone can be NHN difficulty available. But if it works as sintered powder in paper tube, is it a new invention. Appropriate name can be sintered detonator. It describes the essence of the new composition. We thanks for sharing. Very interest......:cool:...LL
Still some penetration through 2mm steel plate and the invent will be complete.

I have some more testing to do. Thanks for the feedback!

Quote:

It is indeed very interesting primary and i am sure it is going to be used more in the near future. Really good job.

I hope people start using it. Much safer than most primaries out there with the exception of LL's CHP.

[Edited on 18-7-2019 by wessonsmith]
wessonsmith
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 24-7-2019 at 12:59
Heat Transference

So, I have done so more testing, and I see some unusual results.
Here are the results of a 1.15g Sintered detonator on a 2mm aluminum bar.

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1meCgi56FkcxD__jHAQcF...

My experience with ordinary tiered detonators, like my ( NHN, powdered ETN, Melt-cast ETN detonators), is they have a build-up of power as the detonation wave travels the column. With the sintered detonator, I do not see a build-up up power. It's as if the entire column is going off at once. Here is a quick video of how the sintered composition transfers heat throughout the column.

https://youtu.be/piRqKEGbN58

As we all know, if you wrap a small amount of explosive in aluminum foil and heat it, it will detonate. I think a similar thing is happening with my sintered composition. It seems that once the NHN within the composition starts to burn, the massively high temperature of the NHN combustion is instantly transferred down the column of the sintered composition, causing all of the ETN to detonate at once, which in turn causes the remaining NHN also to detonate.

The very fine voids throughout the sintered detonator column are mandatory for this to work. Without the voids, the composition burns violently with only a deflagration. Here is the zoomed-in picture of the voids throughout the sintered composition.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1xePesyF4VLQkyfDQUZfJOAMNS3u...

[Edited on 25-7-2019 by wessonsmith]
Loptr
International Hazard

Mood: Grateful

[*] posted on 24-7-2019 at 16:51

What is the composition of your power mix for the detonator. I cant seen to find anyplace where you talked of it previously.

"Question everything generally thought to be obvious." - Dieter Rams
wessonsmith
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 24-7-2019 at 17:21

Quote: Originally posted by Loptr  
What is the composition of your power mix for the detonator. I cant seen to find anyplace where you talked of it previously.

60/40 ETN/Nickel Hydrazine Nitrate(NHN). Heat treated 185F for 10min.
wessonsmith
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 25-7-2019 at 16:05
More Testing

Here are some more pics.

.440mg ETN Plastic(87%), 2mm Aluminum plate, 1.15g Sintered Detonators.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1i_wDSdCgXXIxVrLL52ohrfsv-8...

I Just tried a variation of my sintered detonator. I put 500mg of powdered ETN in the bottom and then 650mg of the sintered composition on top in the cardboard tube. It was heat treated as before. The ETN did not detonate. The sintered composition did detonate but it did not transfer the energy downward.

I have seen a similar issue when placing the detonator upright into the plastic explosive. A normal detonator will detonate the plastic even if it is just sitting on top of the plastic. The downward shockwave is enough to detonate. With the sintered detonator, the plastic must be in contact with the sides of the tube in order for it to detonate.

[Edited on 26-7-2019 by wessonsmith]
wessonsmith
Hazard to Others

biggrin.gif posted on 27-7-2019 at 11:20
Major Sintered detonator UPDATE!!!!

So I finally got it figured out. I had hoped to have a melt-cast ETN base with a sintered comp initiator in a cardboard tube. I tried a variety of different solutions to get it to work without any luck.

I tried using NHN only on top of the melt-cast ETN, FAIL. I tried using the sintered comp on top of the melt-cast ETN, FAIL. I realized that the melt-cast ETN base was, of course, remelting while I was sintering the comp on top and that the ETN was absorbing up the channel into the sintered comp making it not detonate. I then tried putting some plastic wrap between the melt-cast ETN and the sintered comp, FAIL.

I was able to back add an already sintered piece of the composition with the melt-cast ETN at the bottom of another tube. That worked, but I didn't like the idea of having to cut out and then reinsert that sintered piece into the other tube.

The trick that works 100% of the time is to place the 800mg of ETN into the tube, heat it at 185F for 15 min. Let it cool. Then add 100mg of NHN as a buffer then add 600mg of the sintered comp on top of that. Heat for 10min at 185F. This new arrangement is considerably more potent than just the sintered comp, in fact, it is now as powerful as the US Army Special Blasting Cap. This is all initiated by a simple Visco fuse while safely enclosed in a cardboard tube with a hot glue seal. No shrapnel.

To be clear, this is 800mg of melt-cast ETN going BANG!. No other secondary will be as powerful inside a cardboard tube due to the inability to achieve a high density because of the inherent weakness of the paper tube. In other words, you can't press anywhere near the 1.7 g/cm³ of melt-cast ETN inside a cardboard tube.

Yes, you can place HMTD or LA/LS on top of the melt-cast ETN, but then you would lose the safety of using the relatively insensitive ETN and sintered comp.

The picture(s) is of a 3.2mm aluminum plate defeated by this new cardboard tube detonator.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1SHErUu4ZlsSHw7R-3gcqEPoBIt...

[Edited on 28-7-2019 by wessonsmith]
XeonTheMGPony
International Hazard

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 27-7-2019 at 16:02

No other secondary will be as powerful inside a cardboard tube due to the inability to achieve a high density because of the inherent weakness of the paper tube. In other words, you can't press anywhere near the 1.7 g/cm³ of melt-cast ETN inside a cardboard tube.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Well you can easily do this actually. it is a called a die.
wessonsmith
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 27-7-2019 at 16:21

Quote: Originally posted by XeonTheMGPony  
No other secondary will be as powerful inside a cardboard tube due to the inability to achieve a high density because of the inherent weakness of the paper tube. In other words, you can't press anywhere near the 1.7 g/cm³ of melt-cast ETN inside a cardboard tube.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Well you can easily do this actually. it is a called a die.

Easily do this? Can you give me an example of how you would set that up? Without crushing the cardboard tube? Thanks.

As the detonator stands now, it has a number. 8 strength+ and very easy to manufacture.

Here is an example of a company making #8 strength detonators using an aluminum tube and all the steps they must go through to get it to be powerful enough. Mine, you just place in an oven for a few minutes.

http://energetixsolutions.com/detonator/

I think you are overestimating the ease at which you can achieve uniform density and a density high enough for #8 strength.

Just curious, do you actually manufacture explosives yourself?

twelti
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 27-7-2019 at 18:18

Is he not referring to the idea of pressing the ETN in a stronger tube (Die), then putting it into the paper tube?
XeonTheMGPony
International Hazard

[*] posted on 27-7-2019 at 19:00

Quote: Originally posted by twelti  
Is he not referring to the idea of pressing the ETN in a stronger tube (Die), then putting it into the paper tube?

Yes you have your die, usually metal that you place your cartridge is in, then press in increments

Quote:

I think you are overestimating the ease at which you can achieve uniform density and a density high enough for #8 strength.

No, it is simply skill from doing so many, I know how easy it is once you have taken the time to make the tools you need. As well as the many many methods you can use.

Same way how I know it doesn't matter how insensitive your primary or how sensitive it is, what really matters is how you handle it and how well you get to know it. The safety is in the person, never the substance.

Quote:

Just curious, do you actually manufacture explosives yourself?

Oh just simple e matches

(Inside the dets!)

I have made more then a few things, some even rocket powered. I may be short on words but I am not speaking from ignorance.

pre shot view 1.JPG - 1.6MB P5180072.JPG - 1.6MB

P2060530.JPG - 1.6MB P1160470.JPG - 1.6MB metal dets.jpg - 390kB I'm not that friendly!.jpg - 111kB

Pressed pellet toped with an ETN plug.jpg - 765kB 20190331_121421.jpg - 216kB det finnished.jpg - 319kB 20190327_195609.jpg - 1.2MB 20190427_204601.jpg - 2.5MB

[Edited on 28-7-2019 by XeonTheMGPony]

60grams non active binder.JPG - 173kB P6140128.JPG - 1.6MB P6140140.JPG - 1.6MB

wessonsmith
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 27-7-2019 at 19:40

I guess what I was saying was that melt-cast ETN is the only explosive that you can place into a cardboard tube DIRECTLY and achieve high density. Not sure why I would go through the process of pressing and explosive like RDX in a metal tube and then transfer the explosive to paper. I am aware that you can press powders and explosives in dies to use in detonators. Think Tetryl pellets or TATB in insensitive munitions.

The whole point of my cardboard detonator was to make something VERY powerful, SIMPLE to manufacture and VERY safe, relative to most detonators based on sensitive primaries. I also make metal-based detonators, and of course, you can achieve high density by pressing the explosive in those.

What primaries are you nonmetal detonators based on?

XeonTheMGPony
International Hazard

[*] posted on 27-7-2019 at 19:47

You place the paper tube into the metal die, you then press the explosives then eject the loaded tube.there is no other transfers.

use what ever comp you wish.

I use a long strip of printer paper, then use a bit of glue to make the tube.

they where effective for what they where but to me there was no useful advantage over the bog standard used in industry.

But good luck on it, if there is some where I can assist in fabrication will let you know.

Safety is in the person, when ever you make some thing idiot proof nature makes a better idiot! Just keep this in mind.

you see int he azide pellet press I used a second pin to eject the finished pellet, Opt 2 is a slide plate then use the same pressing piston to eject the cartridge.

I use 80 PVA-lead azide, 20 Lead styphnate pressed into a paper shell, this is then pressed over 500mg of ETN, or RDX/ETN

Specialty caps for me is the full 1gram of base charge.

Preferred is Chromed Brass, but I am using 6mm aluminium atm

Igniter is Nichrom doped in nitro lacquer and lead styphnate

VSEPR_VOID
National Hazard

Mood: Fullerenes

[*] posted on 27-7-2019 at 20:14

I wish I knew more about energetic materials. Not one of those topics you can get into experimenting with easily, or without lots of educational preparation.

Within cells interlinked
Within cells interlinked
Within cells interlinked
wessonsmith
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 28-7-2019 at 04:39

Quote: Originally posted by VSEPR_VOID  
I wish I knew more about energetic materials. Not one of those topics you can get into experimenting with easily, or without lots of educational preparation.

I got into energetics in 2016. I had no prior experience and have no formal training/education in chemistry or explosives. I used the internet and watched some YouTube videos and read scientific papers and patents on explosives. The information is out there. Just take your time to learn about the materials you want to play with.
wessonsmith
Hazard to Others

thumbup.gif posted on 28-7-2019 at 05:28
*** Cardboard Tube Detonator ***

It is important to remember that my cardboard tube detonator is based on 'secondary-like' energetics. There is no shrapnel concern, and the manufacture of the detonator is very straight forward, no dies, etc. The trick to this detonator is the Sintered composition, which can detonate with minimal confinement. The detonator is 8.5mm x 50mm and weighs only 3g yet packs a #8 strength punch!

One could use VERY sensitive primaries like LA/LS or DBX-1. However, that would mean using primaries that are nearly 80x more sensitive than my Sintered composition. The purpose of this invention was to avoid having to use such sensitive primaries. My Sintered Cardboard Tube Detonator does precisely that.:)

FYI shout out to LL for giving the name Sintered Composition.
XeonTheMGPony
International Hazard

[*] posted on 28-7-2019 at 16:15

Quote: Originally posted by wessonsmith  
It is important to remember that my cardboard tube detonator is based on 'secondary-like' energetics. There is no shrapnel concern, and the manufacture of the detonator is very straight forward, no dies, etc. The trick to this detonator is the Sintered composition, which can detonate with minimal confinement. The detonator is 8.5mm x 50mm and weighs only 3g yet packs a #8 strength punch!

One could use VERY sensitive primaries like LA/LS or DBX-1. However, that would mean using primaries that are nearly 80x more sensitive than my Sintered composition. The purpose of this invention was to avoid having to use such sensitive primaries. My Sintered Cardboard Tube Detonator does precisely that.:)

shrapnel is negligible, just the pressure wave will do damage if close enough.

this is what I am trying to teach you, it can be sand for all the matter, if it is handled carelessly it can hurt you, all safety at every point of life begins between the ears of the person.

So as I said treat every thing as if it where sensitive, especially molten ETN as now you are asking it to explode if there is any impurities that should aggravate it. Pressing is 10000% times safer then heating any explosive.

Do keep these facts in mind.

I been playing with this stuff since 1990's, you learn handling + Understanding superceeds every thing ells in terms of safety.

Good luck on your venture, make standards, refine them, then each step build on top of this standard. Having a clear design, and a held to standard all so improves safety and reliability
wessonsmith
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 28-7-2019 at 19:36

shrapnel is negligible, just the pressure wave will do damage if close enough.

this is what I am trying to teach you, it can be sand for all the matter, if it is handled carelessly it can hurt you, all safety at every point of life begins between the ears of the person.

So as I said treat every thing as if it where sensitive, especially molten ETN as now you are asking it to explode if there is any impurities that should aggravate it. Pressing is 10000% times safer then heating any explosive.

Do keep these facts in mind.

I been playing with this stuff since 1990's, you learn handling + Understanding superceeds every thing ells in terms of safety.

Good luck on your venture, make standards, refine them, then each step build on top of this standard. Having a clear design, and a held to standard all so improves safety and reliability

I appreciate your points. The main reason for my experimentation is safety. No matter how experienced we get or how streamlined our process becomes, there is no getting around the sensitivity of the explosives used. The more sensitive the explosive is the more risk there is!

I disagree with your pressing vs. melting. Melt-casting ETN at the temperatures I am using, and with the non-interactive process that I employ while it's molten, eliminates any chance of an accidental detonation. I also disagree with the shrapnel being negligible. I have had experience myself when I was testing some metal detonators. I was doing a sympathetic detonation test and didn't realize one of the detonators I was testing had been uncovered by sand. The fuse was lit and when it detonated, the shrapnel came flying through my heavy plastic can, almost striking me. Yes, it was my fault but the cardboard tube would have eliminated that POTENTIAL danger.

I am responsible for the quilty of the ETN I use, which means ensuring that it is acid-free. There is no denying that NHN is vastly less sensitive to friction than LA/LS, HMTD, etc. To me, that is a huge deal. I have no doubt that you have created a system for yourself where you can load your detonators using LA/LS were you have also minimized your risk. For me, however, the sensitivity of those primers, including the newer DBX-1 are way too sensitive.

My sintered detonator is DEADLY if miss-handled, just like any other detonator! The energetics that I employ have sensitivity thresholds that are nearly 80x less sensitive to friction than most other primaries currently being used. By using these less sensitive energetics, my margin for error widens. This isn't to suggest, however, that I can be sloppy or careless or lazy when working with them.

Good luck with your endeavors.

[Edited on 29-7-2019 by wessonsmith]
XeonTheMGPony
International Hazard

[*] posted on 29-7-2019 at 04:01

Good, that allays any concerns , but my point is for others reading as well.

When you think of it as safe because of X is when you find your self wondering where your hand went.

I use a dash of urea when recrystallizing my ETN as an acid scavenger, and usually do it twice, once to purify then again to modify crystal form. 1% based on weight for the second recrystallization.
wessonsmith
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 29-7-2019 at 04:48

When you think of it as safe because of X is when you find your self wondering where your hand went.

I use a dash of urea when recrystallizing my ETN as an acid scavenger, and usually do it twice, once to purify then again to modify crystal form. 1% based on weight for the second recrystallization.

My sintered detonators are SAFER than detonators that use very sensitive primaries. They are safer to manufacture and safer to use. That is just a fact, a fact for others to read as well. My detonators, however, are NOT safe. Any detonator can and will kill you if you carelessly use them!

FYI, Urea doesn't mix well with HTPB. So if you make plastic using HTPB, don't use Urea to stabilize, it will degrade your plastic within a few days. It will go from that beautiful light buff color to an ugly brown. ETN is quite easy to stabilize by recrystallizing and using Ammonium Carbonate. Get rid of the acid and ETN will be good for years!

[Edited on 29-7-2019 by wessonsmith]
VSEPR_VOID
National Hazard

Mood: Fullerenes

[*] posted on 30-7-2019 at 23:16

Quote: Originally posted by VSEPR_VOID  

I got into energetics in 2016. I had no prior experience and have no formal training/education in chemistry or explosives. I used the internet and watched some YouTube videos and read scientific papers and patents on explosives. The information is out there. Just take your time to learn about the materials you want to play with.

"And that is how I lost my other eye" - Me, 2035

Within cells interlinked
Within cells interlinked
Within cells interlinked
Microtek
National Hazard

[*] posted on 1-8-2019 at 11:07

Wessonsmith, where did you get your HTPB? I have been looking for that for some time.
twelti
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 2-8-2019 at 12:35

How does the HTPB compare to styrene butadiene? I have some of that, from a commercial adhesive product mentioned by Quicksilver in his ETN_ Notes-2006 doc.
 Pages:  1  

Go To Top