Sciencemadness Discussion Board
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2
Author: Subject: Paper Detonator #8 Power!
twelti
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 2-8-2019 at 16:02

Quote: Originally posted by wessonsmith  
Quote: Originally posted by twelti  
How does the HTPB compare to styrene butadiene? I have some of that, from a commercial adhesive product mentioned by Quicksilver in his ETN_ Notes-2006 doc.

HTPB is very easy to use. Directly mix with your powdered explosive, that's it. It also has a long shelf life when using an antioxidant.

Excellent low-temperature malleability.

I'm just wondering if it is any better than what i already have. It is <90% styrene butadiene. I have mixed with ETN and it is easy to mix, ends up like dough, and dries to pencil eraser consistency. Maybe that is one difference, the stuff I have would not remain malleable after 24 hours or so.
twelti
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 2-8-2019 at 18:43

How does the HTPB compare to styrene butadiene? I have some of that, from a commercial adhesive product mentioned by Quicksilver in his ETN_ Notes-2006 doc.

HTPB is very easy to use. Directly mix with your powdered explosive, that's it. It also has a long shelf life when using an antioxidant.

Excellent low-temperature malleability.

I'm just wondering if it is any better than what i already have. It is <90% styrene butadiene. I have mixed with ETN and it is easy to mix, ends up like dough, and dries to pencil eraser consistency. Maybe that is one difference, the stuff I have would not remain malleable after 24 hours or so.

I guess it just depends on your use. HTPB is an industry-standard. Used in plastic explosives and rocket motors.

... as is styrene butadiene, Semtex for example is around 10% SB.
wessonsmith
Hazard to Others

thumbup.gif posted on 3-8-2019 at 05:31
Why I use HTPB

Solventless mixing
Electrical insulation properties
High solids loading
Hydrolytically stable
Hydrophobicity
Low glass transition temperature
Low moisture permeability
Low temperature flexibility
Resistance to aqueous acids and bases
Long shelf life(with antioxidant added)
wessonsmith
Hazard to Others

cool.gif posted on 9-8-2019 at 15:03
Electric Match Version of my Sintered Detonator

Below is a link to an electric match version of my Sintered detonator. I am using a modified version of the lead block test by using a jacketed 45acp bullet and a 50 Beowulf cartridge. I chose this method due to the high precision of the 45acp bullets and brass cartridges, which provide a high degree of uniformity between tests. It also makes for a very inexpensive testing setup.

The baseline detonator contains only Sintered comp(1.15g). The full power #8 detonator contains 600mg Sintered comp + 100mg NHN + 900mg melt-cast ETN(1.6g total)

The copper jacket surrounding the lead allows for robust detonator testing since the copper jacket adds structural support. The Brass cartridge provides additional support and a uniformed container to hold the detonator and bullet.

As a reminder, the contents of the detonators have a secondary-like sensitivity profile.

Link to the tests.
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1d0D9WVLlj-MpjEukyICJDtty6C...

Here is a link to the electric fuse I use.
https://ebay.us/9oTk5a

twelti
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 10-8-2019 at 14:50

Can you upload a sketch or something? I'm not sure I understand what you are doing. You are putting a det inside the cartridge, then...?
wessonsmith
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 11-8-2019 at 15:35

Can you upload a sketch or something? I'm not sure I understand what you are doing. You are putting a det inside the cartridge, then...?

01.jpg - 987kB 02.jpg - 585kB 03.jpg - 136kB 04.jpg - 747kB
MineMan
National Hazard

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 11-8-2019 at 16:16

What glue do you use? Where the fuse is at.
twelti
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 11-8-2019 at 16:27

OK, I git it.
wessonsmith
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 11-8-2019 at 17:12

Quote: Originally posted by MineMan  
What glue do you use? Where the fuse is at.

Gorilla Hot Glue Sticks, Mini Size

https://www.amazon.com/Gorilla-Sticks-Diameter-Count-Clear/d...

I use it on both sides of the detonator, the base, and the fuse.
MineMan
National Hazard

[*] posted on 13-8-2019 at 00:21

Is gorilla hot glue different than any other glue sticks? I am surprised it is fluid enough to seal between the fuse and cardboard tube... I had that trouble with BP firecrackers.
wessonsmith
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 13-8-2019 at 01:16

Is gorilla hot glue different than any other glue sticks? I am surprised it is fluid enough to seal between the fuse and cardboard tube... I had that trouble with BP firecrackers.

Here are the specs on Gorilla Glue. One of the highlights is gap filling.
https://www.gorillatough.com/product/gorilla-hot-glue-sticks...

I have found Gorilla hot glue to give superior hold to others I have used. Also, important to use a High Temp glue gun. I am using a very inexpensive high temp glue gun from Walmart with a fine nozzle.
https://www.adhesivetech.com/create/adtech-drip-less-glue-gu...

IMG_0839.jpg - 72kB
MineMan
National Hazard

[*] posted on 13-8-2019 at 14:47

Ok. High temp might be fine for your comp... but other ones like flash or BP make me nervous

Nonetheless. Fine job! That’s like art work.
wessonsmith
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 14-8-2019 at 03:49

Ok. High temp might be fine for your comp... but other ones like flash or BP make me nervous

Nonetheless. Fine job! That’s like art work.

Since the hot glue guns and glue sticks are inexpensive, I would do some testing on your comp. Try placing the Glue gun's tip directly into a small amount of each. That is what I did. I let the mini-glue gun heat up for 5min to insure the absolute hottest it could get and then put the tip into the comp for 60-sec. Keep in mind that the tip never touches my comp when sealing the tube. I just did it for a safety check.

The main concern for me was the fuse. The tip can accidentally touch the fuse, so I did a 60-sec test on that as well. The hootest the melted mini-hot glue gets is 115°C, way below the ignition temps of Black Powder and Flash Powder.

Here are some specs.
Gorilla Mini-Hot Glue:
Softening Point : 88 °C (190 °F)
Flash Point : >232 °C (> 450 °F)

So you know that the mini-hot glue gun tip temp is way below 232 °C. I keep emphasizing MINI. The mini-hot glue guns aren't as hot as the full size. No need for expensive full-size glue guns.

Here is what I am using.
Mini-hot glue gun
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B003W0IFXY?tag=amz-mkt-chr-us-20&a...

Gorilla mini-hot glue sticks:
https://www.amazon.com/Gorilla-Sticks-Diameter-Count-Clear/d...

[Edited on 14-8-2019 by wessonsmith]
MineMan
National Hazard

[*] posted on 14-8-2019 at 18:51

Ok. Since it was a high temp glue gun I expected 250C. Glad you cleared this up. This is great!
wessonsmith
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 29-8-2019 at 10:33
Moment of truth. Paper detonator !

The detonator overlayed to show size comparison.

Don't try this with anything other than paper.
comparison.jpg - 334kB

[Edited on 30-8-2019 by wessonsmith]
Herr Haber
International Hazard

[*] posted on 30-8-2019 at 01:42

The baseline detonator contains only Sintered comp(1.15g). The full power #8 detonator contains 600mg Sintered comp + 100mg NHN + 900mg melt-cast ETN(1.6g total)

Why so much ?
I mean... that's both a detonator and a booster.
I havent tried (yet... but with all your teasing soon) NHN, understood from the litterature that you shared that more is needed compared to other primaries but why then add another 100mg on top of your sintered composition (that seems to be enough) and then another 900mg ETN ?
I'm certain you have a logic for such a complicated train.

The spirit of adventure was upon me. Having nitric acid and copper, I had only to learn what the words 'act upon' meant. - Ira Remsen
wessonsmith
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 30-8-2019 at 04:18

Quote: Originally posted by Herr Haber  

Why so much ?
I mean... that's both a detonator and a booster.
I havent tried (yet... but with all your teasing soon) NHN, understood from the litterature that you shared that more is needed compared to other primaries but why then add another 100mg on top of your sintered composition (that seems to be enough) and then another 900mg ETN ?
I'm certain you have a logic for such a complicated train.

To be clear, if you use a secondary other than melt-cast ETN you don't need the extra NHN. It would be, for example, PETN & 600mg of Sintered comp. The Sintered comp by its self is indeed powerful but in the famous words of Nigel Tufnel from Spinal Tap (these go to 11).

The reason for the extra NHN, when using melt-cast ETN as your secondary, is because the melt-cast ETN remelts when you apply heat to create the Sintered comp. The newly melted ETN then travels up the Sintered comp, causing it to become saturated with ETN. The overly saturated Sintered comp will fail to ignite. The NHN acts as a buffer between the melt-cast ETN and the Sintered comp, preventing the melt-cast ETN from moving up the column.

If you like it simpler then yes, just using the Sintered comp will work. If you want a more powerful firecracker/detonator which goes to 11, then adding a powerful secondary is the way to go.

It is essential to remember what has been accomplished here. We are using a paper tube, stuffed with secondary like explosives, detonating with a simple fuse/electric match head.

[Edited on 30-8-2019 by wessonsmith]
Herr Haber
International Hazard

[*] posted on 30-8-2019 at 06:20

Very clear. Thank you for the explanations.
I do appreciate what you accomplished ;)

The spirit of adventure was upon me. Having nitric acid and copper, I had only to learn what the words 'act upon' meant. - Ira Remsen
Fantasma4500
International Hazard

Mood: dangerously practical

[*] posted on 3-9-2019 at 00:02

i have used low-melting rocket candy tubes with 500mg booster compound with a melting range of around 60*C for years. one guy i talked to was able to get it off with just 2mm visco. i failed with 3mm visco. supposedly star composition fuse like "flying fish" fuse may work, burns quite slow and hot. maybe too big gap between target compound and heat source. i never tested it.
i poured the rocket candy into straw segments of about 50mm, mcdonalds straws, 8mm diamter? as it had low melting point due to being... 65-25-10 KNO3 Sucrose Syrup (ahorn syrup) it allowed me to put it into these straws, where regular rocket candy would ruin the straw
once ignited the composition would burn from the end ignited, and flame would be mainly directed in ignition direction, but the flames would also shoot through the side of the straw, effectively impacting the compound, it was rolled in maybe half an A4 page worth of aluminium foil, it was rolled up in 15mm segments, maybe 500mg spread out over 10 folds, this strip was then crimped in ends and rolled tightly around the straws
for ensuring ignition of the RC i pressed a hole into the hardened RC, and the end of the straw had 5mm in the top where there was no RC, this space was used to ensure the 2mm visco fuse would connect and successfully ignite the RC
the 2mm visco was lead into the hole of the RC, and a 1:1 mixture of golden powder : rocket candy, both granulated was added, then it was all held in place with some hot glue. golden powder was used because it ignites very easily
rocket candy becomes hygroscopic if its heated so much that the sugar starts to brown. another benifit of using syrup rocket candy

now this will leave you with a exciting hissing noise before the shockwave hits, you may entirely eliminate this by using a thermite like flash composition, i would opt for a very slow flashpowder, maybe even a flare composition, 80 mesh magnesium? i did try setting this compound off in a metal pipe one time with KClO4-MgAl but it had absolutely no success. RC straw doesnt yield much sparks, which is great if you wanna avoid simply burning off what youre trying to set off, this is especially important if you wanna set off pure NC

i think this device could work with CuO-Mg, but then were again heading towards sensitive initiation, maybe iron oxide thermite with very fine Al would work? unsure how sensitive Fe2O3-MgAl is, but having just a bit of Mg in there for heat and speed would be ideal.
NaClO3-Si powder also burns very hot, but is difficult to ignite. it would surely work well if all the heat could be directed into the heat sensitive compound, i dont recall much success with KClO3-Si in terms of ignition

aluminium foil is good enough for NASA, so i believe it would also work for this application. in one way it insulates from the heat escaping and yet it carries it away. regardless when i put this much care into these devices i never had a failure. my first go was with simply a couple sparklers and this compound wrapped around it. some times ive observed a loud pop or crack before the whole thing going off so theres definitely room for improvement.

~25 drops = 1mL @dH2O viscocity - STP
Truth is ever growing - but without context theres barely any such.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Solubility_table
http://www.trimen.pl/witek/calculators/stezenia.html
 Pages:  1  2

Go To Top