Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Alkoxide salts
cnidocyte
Hazard to Others

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 3-1-2011 at 14:25
Alkoxide salts

I have a bit of an obsession with alkoxide salts. So little is written about them, they're pretty mysterious to me. All I know is they're very strong bases. Anyone here have experience with making alkali metal alkoxide salts by reacting pure a pure alkali metal with the alcohol? I have some pure Li and some 2-propanol so I want to make some lithium 2-propoxide. I can't really find any information on this class of reactions, I assume reacting Li with an alcohol is gonna be highly exothermic and more violent than Li + H2O reaction. Are there any other dangers I should know about before attempting this?
DJF90
International Hazard

[*] posted on 3-1-2011 at 14:47

Alkali metals react less violently with alcohols than they do with water. Ethanol dissolves sodium fairly slowly in my experience and if I recall correctly reflux is even advised when doing the reaction on a preparative scale. longer chain alcohols react even more slowly (2-propanol is advised for primary quenching potassium residues, as is t-butanol). The reaction of lithium metal with 2-propanol is a relatively safe reaction I'd expect. Just be careful with open flames as the alcohol is flammable (compared to the reaction of Li with water) and you should have no issues.
turd
National Hazard

[*] posted on 3-1-2011 at 14:54

Quote: Originally posted by cnidocyte  
I have a bit of an obsession with alkoxide salts. So little is written about them, they're pretty mysterious to me.

You must be kidding!? Whole books have been devoted to the subject:
http://www.google.com/search?q=alkoxides&btnG=Search+Boo...
Alkoxide chemsitry (mostly the hydrolysis thereof) is THE thing in materials chemistry which in turn is super-hyped. There is NO shortage of info on the subject.
ScienceSquirrel
International Hazard

Mood: Dogs are pets but cats are little furry humans with four feet and self determination! :(

[*] posted on 3-1-2011 at 16:04

Alkali metal alkoxides eg sodium methoxide, potassium t-butoxide, etc are widely used as bases or reagents in organic chemistry.
They are available off the shelf and are also often prepared in situ from the alcohol and the alkali metal.
The metal reacts a lot slower with the alcohol than with water. The solutions are strongly corrosive but compared with most things in the lab pretty harmless.
Sedit
International Hazard

Mood: Manic Expressive

[*] posted on 3-1-2011 at 16:10

Lithium in my experiance reacts rather slowly with IpOH and EtOH. It will slowly bubble as its consumed and the surface of the lithium will take on a bluish color simular to the color of the background on this forum. Atlest that is my experience with the Lithium obtained from batteries.

Knowledge is useless to useless people...

"I see a lot of patterns in our behavior as a nation that parallel a lot of other historical processes. The fall of Rome, the fall of Germany — the fall of the ruling country, the people who think they can do whatever they want without anybody else's consent. I've seen this story before."~Maynard James Keenan
mnick12
Hazard to Others

Mood: devious

[*] posted on 3-1-2011 at 17:35

I prepared some lithium methoxide a while ago from lithium foil (the stuff from batteries) and pretty dry methanol, the reaction was quite exothermic and lithium dissolved rather quickly. But it is quite easy to keep under control as long as you dont add to much at one time.
dann2
International Hazard

[*] posted on 3-1-2011 at 17:39

Attached is some info. from Kirk Othmer on Alkoxides.

Anyone know how to make a Bismuth containing Alkoxide?

Cheers,
Dann2

Attachment: alkoxides.pdf (174kB)
This file has been downloaded 1160 times

turd
National Hazard

[*] posted on 4-1-2011 at 00:32

http://www.lmgtfy.com/?q=bismuth+alkoxides
vulture
Forum Gatekeeper

[*] posted on 4-1-2011 at 14:07

Sodium metal takes quite a few days to dissolve complete in MeOH and Na/K alloy reacts only very slowly with t-butanol. Reaction with isopropanol is faster, but still nothing compared to the reaction with water.

One shouldn't accept or resort to the mutilation of science to appease the mentally impaired.
Fleaker
International Hazard

Mood: nucleophilic

[*] posted on 4-1-2011 at 16:56

Seriously vulture? I suppose this is true if you throw a large brick of sodium into a small volume of methanol, but my personal experience is vastly different.

I had a research project long ago that required me to make a lot sodium methoxide for transesterification. We were using BF3 but it wasn't working too well. Sodium dissolves very rapidly with methanol in my experience. In a liter of MeOH reaction, the first 20 or so grams goes quick--and it is vigorous, enough to boil the alcohol so a reflux condenser is needed. As the solution gets cloudier and cloudier the sodium won't dissolve as well. No heat is needed, even towards the end and because there was so much methoxide in the methanol, the bp was elevated and the flask far too hot to touch!

Neither flask nor beaker.

"Kid, you don't even know just what you don't know. "
--The Dark Lord Sauron
ScienceSquirrel
International Hazard

Mood: Dogs are pets but cats are little furry humans with four feet and self determination! :(

[*] posted on 4-1-2011 at 17:11

I made a few benzyl ethers by the Williamson synthesis at one stage and I found that sodium would react quite quickly and smoothly with methanol and ethanol if plenty of the alcohol was present.
Reaction with the benzyl halide was also very fast and yields of the ether were near quantitative.
cnidocyte
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 6-1-2011 at 10:38

Quote: Originally posted by DJF90  
Alkali metals react less violently with alcohols than they do with water. Ethanol dissolves sodium fairly slowly in my experience and if I recall correctly reflux is even advised when doing the reaction on a preparative scale. longer chain alcohols react even more slowly (2-propanol is advised for primary quenching potassium residues, as is t-butanol). The reaction of lithium metal with 2-propanol is a relatively safe reaction I'd expect. Just be careful with open flames as the alcohol is flammable (compared to the reaction of Li with water) and you should have no issues.

Thanks. All my lithium has been tarnished by oxygen, would I need to remove the Li2O layer first?

Quote: Originally posted by turd  

You must be kidding!? Whole books have been devoted to the subject:
http://www.google.com/search?q=alkoxides&btnG=Search+Boo...
Alkoxide chemsitry (mostly the hydrolysis thereof) is THE thing in materials chemistry which in turn is super-hyped. There is NO shortage of info on the subject.

I stand corrected.
Sciocrat
Harmless

Mood: Scientifically curious

[*] posted on 6-1-2011 at 10:56

I am also interested in alkoxides - mainly in lithium ethoxide, which I will probably synthesize soon. However, I have been looking for info regarding the solubility of the mentioned compound, and found only a value of 12.5 grams per 100 ml of ethanol. Does the solubility rise considerably upon heating?

Go To Top