Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Equipment / glassware lot for sale; DC area pickup
PiledhigherandDeeper
Harmless

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 20-7-2019 at 19:17
Equipment / glassware lot for sale; DC area pickup

I’ve come to make a decision that I need to pare down some things on a large scale. As such I am putting up a LOT (as in single bundle or multiple items) for sale.

https://flic.kr/s/aHsmFjkPG2

I’ve been collecting chemistry stuff for a long time now. That said, it is disproportionate to the amount of hobby work I have been doing. It’s become more about collecting, than doing, and I’ll freely admit, it is an issue. I’ve been holding onto stuff that I may never use, but somehow have justified keeping. I don’t have the space or the time; the time to do things, nor the time to deal with the logistics of keeping this stuff and/or getting rid of it in the future.

If you are interested, please read on. As I’ve stated, I’ve come to put a great value on my time, and in this context I respect yours. I am going to put in an initial investment of time into voicing my hopes and expectations, so that hopefully this may be mutually beneficial.

If interested, please send a U2U. I will respond as soon as possible.

Thanks!

Piledhigheranddeeper

Price: $500 FIRM.

Price changes: I can about guarantee that I will not go lower than $500. The only way I would is if in this forum, open to all, there is compelling reason given to. I am not going to entertain individual requests or haggling. Please don’t ask. I’m not going to respond.

Individual pieces: HARD NO. It is a lot or nothing. The purpose of this sale is to free up space and time in my life.

Charitable donations: NO. What I’ve envisioned…

“Would you consider giving it to a (insert certain needy case; high school, budding Nobel Prize winner, etc.)…?”

This equipment is for the most part not standardized and at a very macro scale. If you think you want it for your school, show my how motivated you are by sending me your lesson plans and intent. My answer will likely still be no.

I have no problem with charity. I just currently see it as me passing off my issue to someone else. That said I also see the value of a dollar…

Shipping: NO. Local pickup only. That’s to say you pick it up from me. I’m in the Washington DC area. This isn’t anything shifty… It’s too much and too large to ship, with no guarantee of making it intact. If you agree to pick it up, it’ll be in a public place. That said, my schedule is random, so I will do my best to work things out with an interested party. I come first in consideration of schedule (I’m just being honest; I have a life; I’ve spent too much time pursuing sales at the expense of my time).

Inspecting individual pieces: within reason at the time of sale. I am not going to pick through everything ahead of time, taking a dozen pictures and measurements of a stopper because that is what is going to make or break the deal. Nor do I have time for someone to go through everything individually. I’m trying to offer a good value for your “risk.” The glassware is all from quality manufacturers… Chemglass, Ace, Pyrex, Kimex; it is a hodgepodge.

The items are used: They are clean, and to the best of my knowledge functional. They are used though. An example is the hotplate/stirrer. I recently tried to sell it on Ebay. It stirred when I sent it out. When the buyer received it, it didn’t. By my fault I was not in contact, but I received numerous nasty messages about how it didn’t stir, and that I was scamming him. I did receive the item as a return. It didn’t stir initially, but with a touch of lubricant, it worked. If an item works one day and not the next, you either have to accept it or get to fixing it.

Identifying individual pieces: I will provide a link to what I hope are good overall pictures of the items. I may chime in to reply to some questions about identities, but if I am not sure about a single item, I am not going to pull everything out to ID that one thing.

Management reserves the right to background check / refuse service for any reason: I’m probably not that motivated, but if I catch wind that you are going to do something stupid/illegal/dangerous with this stuff, I am going to drop you from consideration real quick. If you do something stupid with it after the fact, my involvement ended at the time of the transaction.

Timeline of the sale: The sooner the better. Like I said, I am not going to list every item, but I will try to answer questions as they come up, pipe in with any insights I have at a given moment. As far as who has dibs, I will respect serious requests as they come in, but at the end of the day, whoever shows up first with cash in hand, takes it home. I will be open with serious prospective buyers about other serious prospective buyers’ inquiries.

More or less: I may put more items in as I find them. If I remove anything (unlikely), I will give notice.

NOTES ON THE ITEMS (TO BE UPDATED AS AVAILABLE)

Large beaker is VWR 4L

Variac is functional last checked. Some deader areas in the pot.

Ace heated beaker has a power cable; it is not pictured. I need to find it, and will include it.

Not pictured to be included: Chemglass stainless steel oil bath; model 1100, 2300 mL volume

Not pictured to be included: 1 liter (very large!) fritted glass Buchner style funnel

2 ring stands included if not clear

Triangular bundle is heavy walled glass tubing

2x VWR 50 mL roundbottoms in the cardboard box

Mantles functional at last check

Hotplate stirrer may require tweaking to stir. Heating function is fine.

Stirrer works well.

2x Rubbermaid totes included
PiledhigherandDeeper
Harmless

[*] posted on 22-7-2019 at 17:14

Posted on Ebay. Lower BIN price of $400.
Sulaiman
International Hazard

[*] posted on 22-7-2019 at 20:15
Not very 'member-like'

$500 FIRM to Sciencemadness members, but two days later $400 for anyone.

... PhD. :(

CAUTION : Hobby Chemist, not Professional or even Amateur
PiledhigherandDeeper
Harmless

[*] posted on 23-7-2019 at 13:37

Fair enough on the skepticism... I couldn't edit the original post and don't want to keep posting. Figured the posting that stated it has a lower BIN pricing would suffice.

I had one inquiry and looking at the posting history of the individual making the inquiry (I thought that person has contributed much to this board and would put it to good use), I thought I may have come off as harsh in my posting. I was prepared to work with that inquiry for a lower price, but hadn't/haven't heard anything. As such, I put in on Ebay. Not ideal as I don't feel like losing my behind on fees and such, but I want this stuff moved.

In good faith, I'll offer it here for $350 if it can move by this weekend. Beyond that I don't know what the fate will be.

EDIT 6:21 PM Eastern:

"Firm" was to discourage tire kickers and hand out seekers. I've reconsidered the aggressive stance that may have been taken as, here. I don't like my time wasted though, and I don't want to waste anyone else's. Moving the items is more of a priority.

Additional pictures added to Flickr. The "darker" pictures have everything included in the sale... leaving the more lit pictures for detail.

$350 by this Friday at 3 PM and with NO bids on Ebay. Any time up until then.

Thanks!

[Edited on 23-7-2019 by PiledhigherandDeeper]

[Edited on 23-7-2019 by PiledhigherandDeeper]
Dr.Bob
International Hazard

[*] posted on 4-8-2019 at 13:23

Did this lot sell on Ebay or is it still listed?
PiledhigherandDeeper
Harmless

[*] posted on 13-8-2019 at 04:40

Dr. Bob / all,

Apologies for leaving this hanging. The lot did sell on eBay. Thanks for asking.

Go To Top