Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Reducing H2SO4
hodges
National Hazard

[*] posted on 12-2-2004 at 16:31
Reducing H2SO4

While reading about qualitative analysis online I ran across a quick test for iodide. When concentrated H2SO4 is added to a solution containing iodide, the iodide is oxidzed to iodine and the H2SO4 is reduced to a mixture of H2S, SO2, and S. This didn't seem right to me, but I tried adding a drop of full-strength H2SO4 drain cleaner to a bit of KI. Sure enough I got bubbling and a smell of H2S (as well as some free S - I didn't detect any SO2 smell though).

How can iodine, which is more of an oxidising agent than a reducing agent, reduce H2SO4 so strongly? Why don't metals, which are certainly better reducing agents than iodine, reduce H2SO4 to H2S instead of producing the normal hydrogen reaction? Would anything else besides iodine reduce H2SO4 to H2S?
Pyrovus
Hazard to Others

Mood: heretical

[*] posted on 12-2-2004 at 19:28

I think you're confusing iodINE and iodIDE. Iodine is indeed an oxidising agent. However, once it has gained an electron to form iodide, it has no tendency to further gain electrons. This is also true of fluorine - in the elemental state, the strongest oxidising agent known, but when converted to fluoride, no oxidising properties whatsoever. As iodine isn't a terribly strong oxidising agent, it follows that iodide doesn't have a terribly strong hold over the extra electron and is easily oxidised back to iodine, and sulphuric acid is a strong enough oxidising agent to achieve this. However, once the iodine is back in the elemental form, sulphuric acid isn't strong enough to oxidise it further to hypoiodite etc.

Go To Top