Sciencemadness Discussion Board
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: What's the approximate VOD of "Dynorex"?
jpsmith123
National Hazard

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 24-7-2019 at 07:05
What's the approximate VOD of "Dynorex"?

I happened to come across the following video on youtube where "Dynorex" seemed to work quite well as a shaped charge:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fce0vxVR4oo

Being curious, I tried to find some information about "Dynorex" particularly VOD, but all I found for a spec. was "> 4000 m/sec" varying with tube diameter and temperature.

I don't have any personal experience with shaped charges but it seems to me that you'd need significantly more than 4000 m/sec to get the kind of performance seen in the video, is that right?

MineMan
National Hazard

[*] posted on 25-7-2019 at 00:28

I can’t find the TDS... but assuming it is an emulsion then no more than 6000. But there’s more to this test then meets the eye. Try to guess :)?

wessonsmith
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 25-7-2019 at 05:14

Quote: Originally posted by jpsmith123  
I happened to come across the following video on youtube where "Dynorex" seemed to work quite well as a shaped charge:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fce0vxVR4oo

Being curious, I tried to find some information about "Dynorex" particularly VOD, but all I found for a spec. was "> 4000 m/sec" varying with tube diameter and temperature.

I don't have any personal experience with shaped charges but it seems to me that you'd need significantly more than 4000 m/sec to get the kind of performance seen in the video, is that right?

VOD 3,000 - 6,000 m/s

https://www.oger.is/is/sprengiefni/dynorex

[Edited on 25-7-2019 by wessonsmith]
jpsmith123
National Hazard

[*] posted on 25-7-2019 at 07:36

Quote: Originally posted by wessonsmith  

VOD 3,000 - 6,000 m/s

https://www.oger.is/is/sprengiefni/dynorex

[Edited on 25-7-2019 by wessonsmith]

Thanks for the info. From the (translated) data sheet:

"...sizes range from 22mm to 40mm in paper and from 43mm to 75mm in plastic patterns. Density of 1.35 kg / dm3 (22mm) and 1.45 kg / dm3 (50mm). Explosion speed is from 3000 (22mm) to 6000 m / s (65mm) depending on the diameter of the cartridge."

So with the diameter and confinement used in this case VOD will be 6 km/sec and maybe somewhat higher.

[Edited on 25-7-2019 by jpsmith123]
MineMan
National Hazard

[*] posted on 25-7-2019 at 20:21

There is more to it to that... the shape of martini glass... not the bottom part gives the hint.
markx
National Hazard

Mood: Very Jolly

[*] posted on 25-7-2019 at 22:11

Quote: Originally posted by MineMan  
There is more to it to that... the shape of martini glass... not the bottom part gives the hint.

Assuming the tail of the liqour vessel was not removed then it would have acted as a waveshaper behind the conical section. Seems to be pretty spot on in terms of distance and shape too..... :)

Exact science is a figment of imagination.......
jpsmith123
National Hazard

[*] posted on 26-7-2019 at 07:36

Quote: Originally posted by MineMan  

I was just assuming that he broke the stem off of the glass and only used the conical part, as it seems to me that most people would not know about wave shapers, or know enough about it to make an effective expedient one.

But let's say he used the base of the glass. Is it thick enough to help? I have no idea as my knowledge of the subject is very limited.
MineMan
National Hazard

[*] posted on 27-7-2019 at 20:53

Good catch! I think it might be since emulsion is so insensitive! The base and the eye both help shape the wave....
Vomaturge
Hazard to Others

Mood: thermodynamic

[*] posted on 27-7-2019 at 22:04

I am kind of surprised it's velocity is so close to that of an emulsion, seeing how it contains NC and NG, and its density and energy per unit mass are each 20 to 30% more, at 1.4 g/cc and 4.4 kj/gm. I would have thought this 21st century take on Nobel's inventions would have 7km/sec at least.

Go To Top