Sciencemadness Discussion Board
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Poll: Have you told anyone about the forum?
I would tell everyone I know; even kewls --- 4 (3.6%)
I would tell people I know well --- 41 (36.94%)
I would tell only responsible people --- 39 (35.14%)
I would tell only adults --- 1 (0.9%)
I would tell my lab partner --- 10 (9.01%)
I would tell my gf/bf --- 3 (2.7%)
I would stay quiet forever! --- 13 (11.71%)

Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  
Author: Subject: Have you told anyone about the forum?
Quantum
Hazard to Others

Mood: Interested

thumbup.gif posted on 12-2-2004 at 22:15
Have you told anyone about the forum?

I have some friends that I would *not* tell as they could bring the wrong kind of attention to me/the forum. I might recomend them to totse if say they wanted to make a smoke comp or fuse.

Who have/would you told and why? Chemistry teachers, parents, friends? Who would you not tell?

Note: Im just trying to get a feel for the communities thoughts on talking about chemistry and the forum in general as I am new here.

What if, what is isn\'t true?
BromicAcid
International Hazard

Mood: Rock n' Roll

[*] posted on 13-2-2004 at 06:08

I said that I would tell my lab partner, but what I ment by that is just someone interested in chemistry already. In college I tell people about this site all the time, who knows if any of them frequent it but I try and get the word out. I just believe that someone not interested in chemistry already will not benefit from this site so I go for the people with the intrest already there, although my friends know as does my girlfriend.

Shamelessly plugging my attempts at writing fiction: http://www.robvincent.org
axehandle
Free Radical

Mood: horny

[*] posted on 13-2-2004 at 10:32

I would tell only people I know I can trust (both when it comes to keeping their mouths shut and not blowing themselves up).

Right know I can think of only one friend that meets these criteria, and I am still undecided about telling him.

A little paranoia has always served me well.

[Edited on 2004-2-13 by axehandle]

My PGP key, Fingerprint 5D96 E09E 365D 1867 2DF5 C2FE 4269 9C19 E079 CD35

\"Verbing nouns weirds the language!\"
Turel
Hazard to Others

Mood: Thixotropic

[*] posted on 13-2-2004 at 12:08
I Have

I've shown some friends. Can't say I have shown any teachers, they really would not care, so why waste their time.

Since my parents have known about my activities for some 12 years now, I'm sure I have mentioned this site, amongst a few others, to them, several times. Just following in dad's footsteps I suppose...

As far as who not to tell, well I pretty much don't tell anyone unless I have a reason to tell them. Either something cool to show them, or perhaps they ask a question that I remember being covered well on a web discussion. That happens a lot. Sometimes I show certain people simply to show them that these places exist, such as my mother about 5 years ago starting with google groups and such, and progressing from there as I found more forums. My father does it all the old fashioned way, in a library for seemingly days on end.

As for people who I don't tell, pretty much anyone who would not care. I don't want to waste their time in something they have no interest. I have successfully induced interest in several coworkers here. Heh, I even got my grandmother to read the Hive for a few hours after I showed her some answer to something she asked there.

People have a strong curiosity in things that are socially taboo, and when they find places where such information is freely shared with lack of scrutiny, most that I have observed, are perfectly jaw-dropped for awhile, and their addiction to such communities steadily grows. I love converting.....muwahaaha.

Communities of all sorts are a good place in general to search for information on subjects you are not particularly experienced with. I try to make my friends/family/coworkers realize this. There are wonderful resources online for anything most could imagine, and they simply require participation in order to be a beneficiary. Good suff, good stuff.

-T
IgnorantlyIntelligent
Moderately Insane

Mood: Unhuman

[*] posted on 13-2-2004 at 17:58

Never told anyone about the site. Don't plan on it. No one I trust enough to have them involved in these types of things through me. If they come by it by chance and blow themselves up or burn down their house then it's just funny and doesn't hurt me.

\"People fear from ignorance what they do not have the intelligence to understand\"

\"Religion is the sigh of the oppressed creature, the heart of a heartless world, just as it is the spirit of a spiritless situation.\"

\"A fool would rather not question, a soldier is taught not to question, a slave dares not question.\"

\"To fight for nothing is to love nothing, to die for something is to have lived for something.\"
axehandle
Free Radical

Mood: horny

[*] posted on 13-2-2004 at 19:33

To my previous statement, I would add, after "blowing themselves up", "or to blow others up".

My PGP key, Fingerprint 5D96 E09E 365D 1867 2DF5 C2FE 4269 9C19 E079 CD35

\"Verbing nouns weirds the language!\"
IgnorantlyIntelligent
Moderately Insane

[*] posted on 14-2-2004 at 09:31

Actually, I told one person. He's died playing with fire shortly after.......tragic, so tragic.

\"People fear from ignorance what they do not have the intelligence to understand\"

\"Religion is the sigh of the oppressed creature, the heart of a heartless world, just as it is the spirit of a spiritless situation.\"

\"A fool would rather not question, a soldier is taught not to question, a slave dares not question.\"

\"To fight for nothing is to love nothing, to die for something is to have lived for something.\"
Theoretic
National Hazard

Mood: eating the souls of dust mites

[*] posted on 15-2-2004 at 07:39

Well, actually my schoolmates know about it... ...they would have to try hard not to as I use up one or two hours of my time on this site using the school computer!
My science teacher also knows... he still thinks it has to do with "bombs"...and looks closer at me now... students in my school that don't know me very well call it "bomb sites". One of my friends has registered just for the sake of it (kingxnf).
vulture
Forum Gatekeeper

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 15-2-2004 at 08:07

One of my friends has registered just for the sake of it (kingxnf).

I hope you informed him of the fact that:

- This is not a board for bombmaking
- Any individual that posts anything about bombmaking will get to know the evil admin a little better.

One shouldn't accept or resort to the mutilation of science to appease the mentally impaired.
Theoretic
National Hazard

[*] posted on 16-2-2004 at 08:27

"One of my friends has registered just for the sake of it (kingxnf).

I hope you informed him of the fact that:

- This is not a board for bombmaking
- Any individual that posts anything about bombmaking will get to know the evil admin a little better."
He's not the kind of individual that would make kewl bombz and he knows essentially nothing about chemistry, so there's no problem.
IgnorantlyIntelligent
Moderately Insane

[*] posted on 16-2-2004 at 18:26

Theoreic, you let everyone in your school think your the next unibomber......good job.*clap*clap

Haggis
Hazard to Others

Mood: Lacrymating

[*] posted on 17-2-2004 at 18:28

I have told some of my friends about the forum, and a couple of them browse it occasionally.

At one point, one of them read my post on my experiments with chlorobutanol while he was out of town. I, wanting to tell him about it when he got back into town, was amusingly suprised when he started commenting on my experience without him even 'telling' me.

Humorous, but at the same time, a shake back to reality that everyone can read anything. Odd feeling how he knew about my experiments without me even telling him of them.

Great ideas often receive violent opposition from mediocre minds.
<b> <a href=\"http://pgp.mit.edu:11371/pks/lookup?op=get&search=0xEE41A2B1\">PGP Key</a> </b> 0C0A 7486 B97F 92EE AE50 A98C A4F3 087E 8CE9 A782
tom haggen
Hazard to Others

Mood: a better mood

[*] posted on 17-2-2004 at 18:45

I have told some of the people I hang out with outside of school. Most of them are party kids, and they don't even listen to me when I tell them about it. For some reason I don't really like people at school knowing I visit this site. I have only showed one person in my computer programing class but i'm not worried about him. The ex-military police officer is the one that worries me. Man those marines get brain washed very badly.

N/A
Theoretic
National Hazard

mad.gif posted on 18-2-2004 at 05:14

"Theoreic, you let everyone in your school think your the next unibomber......good job.*clap*clap"
Charming.
When I don't have to, I don't tell anybody. When somebody does ask me, I tell them the truth. I also tell them that the site is about chemistry and not about kewl bombz.
My friends also occasionally visit the Whimsy section.
And it also :mad: me that people ask me if I can make "bombz" and when I say no, they say "you can, innit".
I have the impression a vile mind is spreading rumours about me, I never say more than I have to...
tom haggen
Hazard to Others

Mood: a better mood

[*] posted on 18-2-2004 at 12:52

I'm sure theoretic knows exactly what he's doing.

N/A
IgnorantlyIntelligent
Moderately Insane

[*] posted on 18-2-2004 at 14:25

No need to get mad eh.
Whether the board is for bombmaking, chemistry, or w/e, people are still going to look at it how ever they want to. People are ignorant and affraid of knowledge and if the wrong person knew of the knowledge you might have theyd act on it in a not-so-pleasing way(to you)
You said you dont tell anyone about it yet you leave it up on your school computer for about 2 hours a day...hmmm
Anyways I didn't want to start an argument.
Sorry buddy :)

Magpie
lab constructor

Mood: Chemistry: the subtle science.

[*] posted on 18-2-2004 at 23:07

When I first found the forum I was very excited and was telling everyone. Then you start to see who your real friends are. Those who are reallly good friends, have similar interests, respect you, etc take it seriously and don't say anything as they are sensitive. Those who just like having some fun at your expense will (behind your back) say that your are "going to make meth" or are a "mad bomber." So, now I just don't talk about it. If I was obsessed with fishing or golf it wouldn't matter if people joked about me, but chemistry is, unfortunately (or fortunately), an altogether different matter.
Theoretic
National Hazard

[*] posted on 19-2-2004 at 04:19

IgnorantlyIntelligent:
Usually when someone who doesn't know me sees me on this site, sees the words "science", "scientific", the most likely outcome would be the uttering of words "science boy" and not giving it a second thought (and scurrying for cover if IQ < average :D ...joking).
If it has to do with science, stupid kids are most likely to just go away after a first glance...

[Edited on 19-2-2004 by Theoretic]
IgnorantlyIntelligent
Moderately Insane

[*] posted on 19-2-2004 at 18:51

Magpie, I know exactly what you mean! My ex-friend XnXoR is a complete moron. Fails all classes, doesnt know shit about shit and his life is shit. He would call me a uni-bomber for bringing a brick of blasting gel with us camping. He made fun of me the entire trip calling me a nerd and timithy mcveigh. I ended uop setting the charge off with my true friend and it was awsome totaly blowing down the treee it was on. Everyone heard the explosion from camp and ran over(even his gf) and were majorly impressed with it asking me how I could make such a thing and so on(I told then nothing, just walked back to camp ignoring them) He is now on my enemy list and I havent seen him in about a month
Oh BTW, his gf broke up with his ass and went out with the kid that was my true friend! LOL

I do have concerns for the environment but this tree was calling me bad names the night before while I was slightly drunk and walking through the woods.
And it wasnt sucha horrible fate, it will be remembered for atleast a couple more months and the death was pretty fast.....7,000m/s! LOL The brick was in a spice tin and weighed about 3/4 of a pound. The tree was only like 8" in diameter and pretty soft wood, hardely a challenge.

[Edited on 21-2-2004 by IgnorantlyIntelligent]

Saerynide
National Hazard

Mood: Ionic

[*] posted on 20-2-2004 at 02:52

The poor, innocent tree :( What did it ever do to you to deserve such a horrible fate?? Have you no care for the environment? :P

EDIT: HOLY SHIT!! A 8" diameter tree is not a young tree! It takes ages for trees to grow that big :(

[Edited on 21-2-2004 by Saerynide]
IgnorantlyIntelligent
Moderately Insane

[*] posted on 20-2-2004 at 22:01

Are you joking or being seriouse? There's probably 1000000000000 trees in AZ. Now there's 999999999999. Your not with green peace or anything are yu? I guess I shouldn't speak of my coyote claymore:o

I recently told my good friend about the forum. He is very trust worthy and a smart and talented individual. This is the first person I've told about the forum.

OK fine. No more trees. I won't be making anymore HEs for a long time. I'll be working on finishing my howiter which I just calculated last night to have 15,240 foot pounds of energy at 100 yards! I don't liek foot pounds, I wanted to know how much energy it has on the actual point of impact(my projectiles are 1.4" in diameter, NOT one square foot) If the force of 15,240lbs is being spread out over 1 square foot than at point of impact is(144 x 15,240 / 1.4) = 1,567,542.857 pounds of pressure
:D:o
Ive already shot and cronographed it 8 times. The only work I have yet to do is put my aiming aperatous on it so I can put that power to use. The projectiles weigh one pound and are traveling on average 1100fps using 25g BP & 20g DBSP:D
Anyone know how far this could shoot at a 45 degree angle? I searched and found no fomrula.

Saerynide
National Hazard

Mood: Ionic

[*] posted on 21-2-2004 at 01:36

Im both. And no, Im not with green peace :P

Im not like terribly upset or anything, I just dont go around blowing up trees :P
YT2095
International Hazard

Mood: within Nominal Parameters

[*] posted on 28-6-2006 at 04:22

only people I know well (and those that are Interested in Chem naturaly).

it`s strange actualy, as my account here is quite old but was never used for Many years, and a Friend of mine actualy recomended I come here a few weeks ago, so I re-activated my account, and then found a few familiar "faces" here also ;)

Thnx Woelen and Hi, JDurg :)

\"In a world full of wonders mankind has managed to invent boredom\" - Death
Twinkies don\'t have a shelf life. They have a half-life! -Caine (a friend of mine)
triphenylphosphineoxide
Harmless

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 28-6-2006 at 18:53

I have told only 3 people about this site; My former supervisor, my father and a friend who was interested to know if such sites existed. I can think of about 4 other people who would love to know about this, But I just don't trust their sense of self preservation.
DeAdFX
Hazard to Others

Mood: @%&$ing hardcore baby

[*] posted on 28-6-2006 at 19:04

I haven't told anybody about this website. I might in the future but at the moment I cannot find anyone who is intrested in chemistry to the extent I am.
 Pages:  1  

Go To Top