Sciencemadness Discussion Board
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Poll: Have you told anyone about the forum?
I would tell everyone I know; even kewls --- 4 (3.6%)
I would tell people I know well --- 41 (36.94%)
I would tell only responsible people --- 39 (35.14%)
I would tell only adults --- 1 (0.9%)
I would tell my lab partner --- 10 (9.01%)
I would tell my gf/bf --- 3 (2.7%)
I would stay quiet forever! --- 13 (11.71%)

Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2
Author: Subject: Have you told anyone about the forum?
woelen
Super Administrator

Mood: interested

[*] posted on 29-6-2006 at 02:35

My wife knows about it, and some other people, who really know me well. Most people are not even interested in this and they don't bother me being present on a forum like this. No fear of terrorism, meth-cooking or whatever adverse activity, simply not interested at all.

I see around me that most people do not have much interest in science, even the persons, who do a "science" study. I see a lot of people, only TALKING about science, but there are only very few, who actually DO science.

The art of wondering makes life worth living...
Want to wonder? Look at https://woelen.homescience.net
enhzflep
Hazard to Others

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 29-6-2006 at 03:01

I've nobody to tell to be honest. I was put onto this site some 18ish months ago, at the same time as I was informed about RS.org.

However, I find myself in a similar boat to DeAdFX, in that I know of nobody else who would even be interested. They (the people I know well enough to consider talking to about this topic) are utterly disinterested in science.

In that sense it would be wasting both their time and my own. Not to mention that a lack of interest and knowledge on the exact politics of the subject may well cause information to be spread to my detriment.

:mad:
[whinge]
Guess it's just a shame that all the 'terrorism shops' have shut down, :D
and terrorists have to resort to roll-your-own, putting ourselves and them seemingly in the same boat, with potentially the same motives to be wary of. Especially after the likes of Timothy McVeigh and the London mob. All of whom broaden the stereotype of what a potential terrorist may look like. Thanks too, to all the bloody meth-heads, whose cooks have well and truely ruined whatever ground we still had after the terrorists caused restictions to be raised.
[/whinge]
Adar
Harmless

Mood: Having fun with vaseline

[*] posted on 8-7-2006 at 14:47

Well I was told about this site abit more than a year ago. I read quite abit on the site but decided to not really join until after I had read some chemistry in english. So now I'm here.
franklyn
International Hazard

[*] posted on 25-7-2006 at 13:03

I'm quite new here, I became aware of this forum in the

write up it received in a recent Wired magazine article.

That pretty well makes this thread acedemic trifling huh.

White Yeti
National Hazard

Mood: delocalized

[*] posted on 26-12-2011 at 12:24

I direct people who I know are deeply interested in chemistry, but who cannot find any websites that provide information other than the basic concepts and facts. I myself, am glad to be part of this forum because at one point, I was bored of what other websites had to offer. I felt like a big fish in a small pond. Here at science madness, I feel like a small fish in a big pond, and that's the way it should be. I'm glad that someone directed me to this forum, and I want to share what this forum has to offer with other people.

"Ja, Kalzium, das ist alles!" -Otto Loewi
Ephoton
Hazard to Others

Mood: trying to figure out why I need a dark room retreat when I live in a forest of wattle.

[*] posted on 26-12-2011 at 16:56

I only yell people who can actively use the information and are not into the mass manufacture of
substance that will harm our societies.

there is a lot of power to those who know what to look for here.

but yes probably 6 or 7 people know from my self and word of mouth.

my self I found this place through the HIVE.

e3500 console login: root
bash-2.05#

paulr1234
Hazard to Self

[*] posted on 26-12-2011 at 23:57

Only people I know well and who have a deep interest in chemistry, and that venn diagram is a very small slice.

I suspect that many folks who I know might be enjoy the better content, would be concerned by the frequent posts about narcotics and explosives. I'd like to see a slightly more vigorous 'send to detritus' policy, especially on drug topics (even when the post is well written and the procedure enlightening).

I know that will upset some folks, so sorry in advance, just how I feel.
hissingnoise
International Hazard

Mood: Pulverulescent!

[*] posted on 27-12-2011 at 08:36

Quote:
I suspect that many folks who I know might be enjoy the better content, would be concerned by the frequent posts about narcotics and explosives. I'd like to see a slightly more vigorous 'send to detritus' policy, especially on drug topics (even when the post is well written and the procedure enlightening).
I know that will upset some folks, so sorry in advance, just how I feel.

It's not a big deal - since yours would seem a minority view, according to a fairly recent poll . . .
And kewls seem now to be few and far between!

Arthur Dent
National Hazard

Mood: entropic

[*] posted on 27-12-2011 at 09:12

I discovered the existence of SM while googling a specific synthesis, how to make Copper Sulfate...

ScienceMadness is a wonderful resource of information and many very knowledgeable people are in here, I hope it will always be here in this format. On the other hand, there are several useless, unstable people here who post inconcievable dreck, not counting the low IQ kewl kiddies and the potential meth cooks that occasionally attempt to get some ready-made recipes. I commend Polverone for his quick response in removing these irritants, but there are some that still rear their ugly head from time to time.

And I agree with what paulr1234 said, there are a lot of posts in Energetics and OrgSyn that should simple be deleted ouright.

New members are always welcome but I believe the criteria for acceptance into this community should be a bit more stringent. Favoritism? Hell yeah!

Some people will be pissed by my comment? Tough shit, this site isn't intended for criminal activities, it's a hobby science forum and anyone who tries to hijack this place for outrageous political or religious comments, discussions about drugs or weaponry should be banned with the utmost eagerness.

There I said it, I emptied my heart. As paulr1234 said, this may irritate some people, but why should it? If you don't post about politics, religion, drugs or weapons, this shouldn't affect you, but if you do post about politics, religion, drugs or weapons, why oh why are you here in the first place?

I haven't told anyone about this site for the simple reason that I don't know anyone who shares their love of hobby chemistry as I do. Period.

Robert

[Edited on 27-12-2011 by Arthur Dent]

--- Art is making something out of nothing and selling it. - Frank Zappa ---
White Yeti
National Hazard

Mood: delocalized

[*] posted on 27-12-2011 at 10:54

Quote: Originally posted by Arthur Dent  
On the other hand, there are several useless, unstable people here who post inconcievable dreck, not counting the low IQ kewl kiddies and the potential meth cooks that occasionally attempt to get some ready-made recipes. I commend Polverone for his quick response in removing these irritants, but there are some that still rear their ugly head from time to time.
[...]
Some people will be pissed by my comment? Tough shit, this site isn't intended for criminal activities, it's a hobby science forum and anyone who tries to hijack this place for outrageous political or religious comments, discussions about drugs or weaponry should be banned with the utmost eagerness.
[Edited on 27-12-2011 by Arthur Dent]

I am not pissed at your comment, but I do have to point something out.

I remember when ThePHDchemist (whatever his name) was still here, Polverone let him post 30+ comments before banning him, even though it was so very obvious he didn't have the sanest of intentions.

In a sense, I think nuisances should be removed as quickly as possible, but you have to remember that this is the World Wide Web, not the United States/Canada/United Kingdom/Australia web. Some people do not speak English as their first language, and thus can be mistaken for k3wl kiddi3s by their understandable lack of vocabulary and incoherent thoughts.

Furthermore, you have to distinguish between troublemakers and beginners, this is not the easiest of tasks. Again, I admire the work of all the administrators who do a wonderful job at keeping this forum at such an excellent level.

I am proud to be a member of this forum. I wish I could contribute more, but I'm still a beginner, and I have much to learn.

"Ja, Kalzium, das ist alles!" -Otto Loewi
Arthur Dent
National Hazard

Mood: entropic

[*] posted on 28-12-2011 at 06:29

I totally agree with you, White Yeti, and I do try my best to distinguish between a person whose native language is not English, and the annoying trolls/cooks/kewls, although it's a bit touchy at times.

Hell, I'm not even of English-speaking origins, i'm French Canadian.

Your reference to ThePHDchemist is a good one, I thought at first this was an overenthusiastic youth, but as time went by, it became obvious that this was either a very clever and devious troll, or a deeply disturbed individual.

I will always contribute my knowledge (albeit limited) to beginners and often respond to their enquiries if I am familiar with the subject.

My point is... there are many "beginners" who just jump in in their first few post point blank asking about obvious precursors for drug manufacture, like ephedrine... do they want to make cough syrup? Methinks not!

And then there are the loopy loons who talk about the government killing them with microwaves and conspiracy whores, who attract unneeded attention to this forum with their ramblings and "manifestos"...

I am also happy to be a member of this great forum, lots of great, brilliant people eager to help! My only hope is that this place remains as it it, a hobby chemistry forum and a great source of scientific information, nothing more.

Robert

--- Art is making something out of nothing and selling it. - Frank Zappa ---
Vogelzang
Banned

[*] posted on 28-12-2011 at 13:47

I try not to tell people about forums I'm active with after seeing some of them errupt into hate frenzies after telling people about them. The insanity is too embarressing.

[Edited on 28-12-2011 by Vogelzang]
paulr1234
Hazard to Self

[*] posted on 30-12-2011 at 23:58

Honestly, it's some of the better written posts that worry me more. I just saw another entitled "3,4-MD-Phenmetrazine" which seems to really cross the line. It is thoughtful in its content and posits and has generated a wealth of equally thoughtful responses. Anyway, I'm not going to dwell on this or comment further, as others have noted, the Mods do a great job, and I don't want to seem as if I am being critical, which I am most certainly not. I also understand that the general principle is that posts that have 'quality' scientific content (well written, adequately cited etc.) are always welcome irrespective of the legal considerations (which, after all, vary from territory to territory). Somewhat paradoxically, I also don't want to live in a world that is overly moderated and sanitized; I don't go on vacation to Disneyland and don't want SM.org to become that either. That kind of 'nappy-state' mentality killed the chemistry set of the 1970s (and before) and we've all lost something as a result. Amateur science makes a very real contribution in many areas of study (astronomy is a great example) and I really believe we should aim to elevate our work (and fun) to a similar level of credibility, acceptance and contribution... Happy New Year everyone, may our children enjoy setting fire to their parent's curtains for many years to come.

Quote: Originally posted by Arthur Dent  
there are several useless, unstable people here who post inconcievable dreck, not counting the low IQ kewl kiddies and the potential meth cooks that occasionally attempt to get some ready-made recipes. [Edited on 27-12-2011 by Arthur Dent]

[Edited on 31-12-2011 by paulr1234]
Adas
National Hazard

Mood: Sensitive to shock and friction

[*] posted on 31-12-2011 at 16:38

I mentioned SM to 3 people I know very well, but none of them is really interested in this forum, because they don't need it + they don't know (chemical) english well enough. :D

Rest In Pieces!
hissingnoise
International Hazard

Mood: Pulverulescent!

[*] posted on 1-1-2012 at 05:18

Quote:
There are several useless, unstable people here who post inconcievable dreck, not counting the low IQ kewl kiddies and the potential meth cooks that occasionally attempt to get some ready-made recipes.

It is, though, a democratic forum, and should remain so . . .

Vogelzang
Banned

[*] posted on 3-1-2012 at 14:43

Look what this guy did.
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2081255/LA-arson-fir...

quicksilver
International Hazard

Mood: ~-=SWINGS=-~

[*] posted on 4-1-2012 at 16:16

Tesla Coils, Microscopes, & an enormous amount of books crowd my home. It would come as no surprise to anyone who knows me. Putting aside the issue that not all my acquaintances are as responsible as I believe they should for their community's sake I have told some responsible folks who had interests in science, Perhaps half dozen over the years, but most [of their interests] were in aspects of biology, zoology, herpetology, or physics. So I think they looked around, they MAY have bookmarked it, but I only know perhaps 2 other people who even have an interest in chemistry (in one fellow's job) & pyrotechnics (rockets; mostly engineering).

Bot0nist
International Hazard

Mood: Streching my cotyledons.

[*] posted on 4-1-2012 at 16:55

Quote: Originally posted by Vogelzang  
Look what this guy did.
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2081255/LA-arson-fir...

What? Did you tell this guy about SciMad or something?

U.T.F.S.E. and learn the joys of autodidacticism!

Don't judge each day only by the harvest you reap, but also by the seeds you sow.
DougTheMapper
Hazard to Others

Mood: Energetic

[*] posted on 6-1-2012 at 15:20

When people ask me about my hobby and whether I make "bombs" I'm always honest. I tell them I do. Or rather, did. I tell them that learning chemistry is like learning a new language in primary school: the first thing kids always do is look up all the foul words because it's the only thing that's interesting. Same with chemistry - the first thing most budding chemists do is make the "cool" stuff like bombs and restricted chems.

But then I explain that I eventually became more interested in the chemistry behind the material rather than the material itself, so I "don't risk my future on kiddie stuff like that anymore."

Not only does this drive home the point that I am rather harmless, but it also lets them know that discussing bombs, drugs, or the synthesis of either of those things is childish "kiddie stuff" to me, so it usually prevents further inquiry/harassment.

EDIT: Secretly, I still love energetics and I am currently working on some energetic salts of nitroguanidine. But don't tell anyone who knows me! :D

[Edited on 6-1-2012 by DougTheMapper]

Victor Grignard is a methylated spirit.
jamit
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 6-1-2012 at 16:54

@Arthur dent - I agree with you, let's continue to make this a form for experimental and hobby chemistry. Get rid of drugs or weapons recipes... Political and religious comments should be kept to a minimum.

Most people i know are not interested in science as a hobby, so I don't have anyone to tell them about sm. Hell, they don't even know I have a lab in the garage... Like Magpie, only my wife and kids know and they don't tell anyone period. :D

But if someone I knew were thinking about doing chemistry or science as a potential hobby, I'll definitely refer them to this forum.:D

[Edited on 7-1-2012 by jamit]

[Edited on 7-1-2012 by jamit]
 Pages:  1  2

Go To Top