Sciencemadness Discussion Board
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Chloroform reaction mixture disposal (acetone + bleach method)
nimgoldman
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 31-7-2019 at 12:42
Chloroform reaction mixture disposal (acetone + bleach method)

I have recently synthesized chloroform using 6 500 mL of 7% sodium hypochlorite mixed with 95% molar deficit in acetone.

The leftover waste mixture contains some sodium hypochlorite and maybe a considerable amount of chloroform (given its solubility in water, it should be something like 50 grams or 30 mL).

I know that the hypochlorite can be destroyed with either sodium metabisulfite or hydrogen peroxide.

Unfortunately, the destruction methods for chloroform are more difficult except for adding sodium hydroxide and letting it react for a long time to form dichlorocarbene.

Another option is simply boiling it off, but this is impractical for such a large amount of water.

So I am thinking about simply adding sodium metabisulfite and some sodium hydroxide (AFAIK the two don't react together), then let the canister stand for two months or so before pouring it down the drain with additional fresh water.

Is this the correct disposal technique or would you advice otherwise?
Ubya
International Hazard

Mood: I'm a maddo scientisto!!!

[*] posted on 31-7-2019 at 16:42

sodium hypochlorite (bleach) is commonly used in sanitation, it's not a problem to just drain it in the sink, it will just oxidize something in the sewers.
chloroform on the other hand is a halogenated solvent, really harmful for water and atmosphere chemistry, it must be disposed correctly, the only way i know is as you said to add sodium hydroxide, wait a long time so that dichlorocarbene is formed transformed in formate and NaCl

---------------------------------------------------------------------
feel free to correct my grammar, or any mistakes i make
woelen
Super Administrator

Mood: interested

[*] posted on 31-7-2019 at 23:22

I would pour all the liquid in a big dish and allow it to evaporate slowly. Let it stand for a few days. Even if not all water has evaporated, the chloroform will be long gone after a few days. Just put the dish outside at a place where children and animals (beware of birds who want to drink something) cannot access it.

Chloroform should not get in the ground water or in the sewers. It only very slowly decomposes in water under dark conditions. In air, exposed to daylight, on the other hand, it fairly quickly is decomposed, the final products being CO2 and chloride ions. Its atmospheric half life is 3 to 5 months. I read that chloroform is a natural constituent of earth's atmosphere, at very low concentrations, produced by seaweed. Your 30 ml will be swamped by the natural background amount and after a few months it will be gone anyway.

The art of wondering makes life worth living...
Want to wonder? Look at https://woelen.homescience.net
Herr Haber
International Hazard

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 1-8-2019 at 03:08

Quote: Originally posted by Ubya
the only way i know is as you said to add sodium hydroxide, wait a long time so that dichlorocarbene is formed transformed in formate and NaCl

There should be more than enough NaOH in the bleach dont you think ?

The spirit of adventure was upon me. Having nitric acid and copper, I had only to learn what the words 'act upon' meant. - Ira Remsen
nimgoldman
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 1-8-2019 at 08:35

I have not used household bleach but a commercial sodium hypochlorite solution. It was originally 12% but it over year old and the actual concentration lowered to 7% (determined by titration).

Unfortunately I live in an appartment and cannot put the waste water on terrace because of the birds...

I will thus add sodium hydroxide and wait.
Ubya
International Hazard

Mood: I'm a maddo scientisto!!!

[*] posted on 1-8-2019 at 11:08

Quote: Originally posted by Herr Haber
||
|| Quote: Originally posted by Ubya
|| the only way i know is as you said to add sodium hydroxide, wait a long time so that dichlorocarbene is formed transformed in formate and NaCl
||
|| There should be more than enough NaOH in the bleach dont you think ?
||

quote from wikipedia: Household bleach is, in general, a solution containing 3–8% sodium hypochlorite, by weight, and 0.01–0.05% sodium hydroxide; the sodium hydroxide is used to slow the decomposition of sodium hypochlorite into sodium chloride and sodium chlorate.[34]

0.01-0.05% i don't think is enough

feel free to correct my grammar, or any mistakes i make
nimgoldman
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 3-8-2019 at 09:09

Suprisingly, the light-green waste solution turned brown/red over last few days. It smells of acetone even though I've added 5-7% molar deficit of acetone relative to hypochlorite.

I hope I have not screwed up the titration. But judging by the colour after reaction, there was still some hypochlorite left, meaning the acetone should have been consumed in the reaction. On the other hand, the haloform reaction might have proceeded over the days...

Anyway, sodium hydroxide have been added and the canister sits in the lab. I will move it outside later.

[Edited on 3-8-2019 by nimgoldman]

Go To Top