Sciencemadness Discussion Board
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Make perfluorohectane? (possible supercritical fluid at room conditions)
angeltxilon
Harmless

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 11-8-2019 at 04:52
Make perfluorohectane? (possible supercritical fluid at room conditions)

I read somewhere that high perfluorocarbons like perfluorohectane (C100F202) or higher, could be supercritical fluids at room temperature AND room pressure (both at the same time, ie, room conditions).

It would be interesting to try to make some high perfluorocarbon (like perfluorohectane) for check if this is really a supercritical fluid at room conditions.

Is it possible to fluorinate very high alkenes, like these of fuel oil, for obtain very-long chain perfluorocarbons? How?

[Edited on 11-8-2019 by angeltxilon]
Ubya
International Hazard

Mood: I'm a maddo scientisto!!!

[*] posted on 11-8-2019 at 07:34

i doubt that gasoline or diesel have such long chains, a molecule with 100 carbons is surely a solid.
now if you mean octene, 8C, and not hectene, or decacontene 100C, surely is possible, but still not straightforward.
chlorination is pretty common, but still can be dangerous or hard (or not selective), you should eork with fluorine gas, or a fluorinating agent (not easy to find for sure), so i think it is possible, but not in the range for an amateur chemist

---------------------------------------------------------------------
feel free to correct my grammar, or any mistakes i make
---------------------------------------------------------------------
Dr.Bob
International Hazard

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 12-8-2019 at 11:52

You are effectively describing low molecular weight Teflon. Which would not be a practical liquid at any reasonable temperture. Many perfluorinated "hydrocarbons" are available, you can get perfluorohexane or perfluorooctane (might be harder now with the environmental issues of perfluoro compounds long half lifes in the environment, such as the perfluoroacids). They are liquids, but once you go above about C20, they will likely be waxes or polymers. I'm sure such C100H202 type molecules are byproducts of Teflon production, but doubt that they are useful as solvents. There are even fluoronated waxes, (I would guess C16-C20) used in reactive situations, but they are quite expensive, and not solvent like.

Go To Top