Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: hippocampal representations
wg48temp9
National Hazard

[*] posted on 13-8-2019 at 04:48
hippocampal representations

I have always been curious as to how brains work and human ones in particular.

Significant progress has been made on the gross structure of brains and the electro-chemical and molecular operation of its neurons. In the case of vision we have determined that in the visual cortex there are neurons that fire in response to particular elements in the visual field. For example a vertical line moving left to right causes a particular neurons to fire but not if the line is moving from right to left.

Thanks to something Ajkoer posted, I found and paper describing how the hippocampus in rats represent spatial memory. Apparently individual neurons represent places with different place sizes. When a new spatial environment is encountered previously silent (unused) neurons are engaged to represent the places in the new environment.
Apparently its similar to addresses one neuron for the house number or name, one neuron for the street, one for the town and so on.

Attachment: hippo-mapping-rich_14.pdf (1.2MB)
This file has been downloaded 251 times

I wounder if memory of chemistry, physics etc. are stored in a similar way perhaps even using our hippocampus. Apparently London taxi drivers that have to learn the knowledge (memories the locations and routes of London, a huge task) have enlarged hippocampi. Do professors of chemistry have enlarged hippocampi?

See a related discussion in this thread http://www.sciencemadness.org/talk/viewthread.php?tid=80295
I think its important to develop a model, in effect a map of how the individual elements of a subject relate to each other. Of cause with chemistry there are rules and relationships but it seems like there a lot of magic too. (magic = unexpected, unusual reactions) which are probably just missing parts of the model but its like magic to me LOL

I am wg48 but not on my usual pc hence the temp handle.
Thank goodness for Fleming and the fungi.
Old codger' lives matters, wear a mask and help save them.
Be aware of demagoguery, keep your frontal lobes fully engaged.
I don't know who invented mRNA vaccines but they should get a fancy medal and I hope they made a shed load of money from it.

Go To Top