Sciencemadness Discussion Board
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Making hexamethylenetetramine with household products (?)
angeltxilon
Harmless

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 14-8-2019 at 07:26
Making hexamethylenetetramine with household products (?)

I've been thinking if it would be possible to make hexamethylenetetramine at home.

The reason to make it ... Boredom. My idea is to make this, just because, for have it inside a bottle with a label ... Although I may use it to make solid fuel tablets.

I have read that this material can be manufactured using formaldehyde and ammonia in dissolution.

I have read that formaldehyde is obtained by catalyzing the oxidation of methane using metal oxides.

Ammonia is a common cleaning product, the problem is to purify it. It must be purified because it has soap.
In my previous attempt to make ammonium chloride (for use it like flavoring) from ammonia and hydrochloric acid, the problem of soap became a major inconvenience and, finally, I couldn't manufacture it.

Methanol can also be purchased at a common drugstore (it remains to be seen if it is decently pure or it needs to be distilled (that I don't know how do that using house common objects) like ammonia).

The metallic oxide ... Is the oxide of a nail or rusty iron object valid?

[Edited on 14-8-2019 by angeltxilon]
Tsjerk
International Hazard

Mood: Mood

[*] posted on 14-8-2019 at 07:42

I would have a look at eBay orso, or hobby shops online if you can find formaldehyde and ammonia for sale. These basic compounds are hard to make without laboratory glassware.

What country / region are you in?
angeltxilon
Harmless

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 14-8-2019 at 09:01

Quote: Originally posted by Tsjerk  
I would have a look at eBay orso, or hobby shops online if you can find formaldehyde and ammonia for sale. These basic compounds are hard to make without laboratory glassware.

What country / region are you in?

I prefer to avoid online shopping. It is usually very slow (it can take weeks to arrive) and expensive (sometimes the shipping price exceeds the product price, in this type of products).

I live in Spain.
Tsjerk
International Hazard

Mood: Mood

[*] posted on 14-8-2019 at 09:50

Please let me know if you can beat these prices (first hits).

https://www.ebay.es/itm/Formaldehyde-38-250ml-/323850775428

http://blog.flota.es/hogar-y-ahorro/diferencias-entre-la-lej...

Does this contain soap? My Spanish is rusty. Correct my when I'm wrong.

Took me ten minutes. Next time you get 0.5. You won't beat the commercials.
Prepic
Harmless

[*] posted on 15-8-2019 at 08:30

I think I remember a decent write up on making concentrated ammonia from household ammonia (but I cant seem to find it) But basically it entailed heating up household ammonia cleaner and bubbling it through cold water. You could also make a solution of an ammonium salt and add a stronger base such as sodium hydroxide drain cleaner into that solution of an ammonium salt to generate the ammonia gas.

With regards to the formaldehyde, that going to be far harder. Formalin, a solution of formaldehyde and methanol, might be accessible to you however. The extra methanol wont pose a problem with the synthesis of hexamethylenetetramine.

Go To Top