Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  
Author: Subject: Laboratory Supplier around Houston, Texas
bwpatton1
Harmless

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 21-1-2011 at 21:21
Laboratory Supplier around Houston, Texas

Im somewhat new to this forum and was wondering if anyone knew of any lab suppliers around Houston Texas. Im mainly looking for glassware to start up a simple lab to get my feet wet in chemistry. Thanks!
Sedit
International Hazard

Mood: Manic Expressive

[*] posted on 21-1-2011 at 21:51

Check the local DEA im sure they have a bunch since you need to register your glassware in Tx.

Knowledge is useless to useless people...

"I see a lot of patterns in our behavior as a nation that parallel a lot of other historical processes. The fall of Rome, the fall of Germany — the fall of the ruling country, the people who think they can do whatever they want without anybody else's consent. I've seen this story before."~Maynard James Keenan
SHADYCHASE54
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 22-1-2011 at 14:31

think mail order cross your fingers and wait....
chochu3
Hazard to Others

Mood: Inside looking out

[*] posted on 22-1-2011 at 19:02

go to a local hobby lobby they should have the basics: Erlenmeyer, beakers, and graduated cylinders.

\"Abiding in the midst of ignorance, thinking themselves wise and learned, fools go aimlessly hither and thither, like blind led by the blind.\" - Katha Upanishad
cyanureeves
National Hazard

[*] posted on 22-1-2011 at 19:27

nova tech in kingwood right off hwy 59 looks pretty good. of all the hwys in texas, 59 goin north is tough. people have had to explain why as little as $500.00 was found inside vehicles when pulled over. with all the chemical plants there it should be heaven for chemical purchasing. get a UofH student to help you buy glassware.most cooks are in west texas anyway.you folk down there are flooded with that ready made stuff from south america.
greentiger87
Harmless

[*] posted on 22-1-2011 at 23:08

Oh geez. I happen to be in Houston, Texas too, and I'm just getting into amateur chemistry myself... but this thread is kind of scaring me off. How the heck do you register glassware with the DEA?

I know its about safety, etc.. but there's nothing in the world I could care less about than making illegal drugs. I just want to play around with some science, and maybe do something useful with my (limited) knowledge once in a while. Just sucks that it has to effect everyone.

Did I mention I'm Indian (but an atheist)? I bet I'm already on some watchlist.

Anyway - I saw the company "Scientific Equipment of Houston" in another forum, though its actually located in Navasota. Anyone know if this place is reputable?

I've never seen science glassware at a Hobby Lobby around here, other than young kids' toys.

[Edited on 23-1-2011 by greentiger87]
psychokinetic
National Hazard

Mood: Constantly missing equilibrium

[*] posted on 22-1-2011 at 23:36

Quote:
nothing in the world I could care less about than making illegal drugs

Unfortunately, just by being interested in chemistry you sarc MUST /sarc beinterested in bombs and drugs.

I wish both you new Texans good luck in acquiring what you need and not being harrassed about it.
Also, welcome to SM :)

“If Edison had a needle to find in a haystack, he would proceed at once with the diligence of the bee to examine straw after straw until he found the object of his search.
I was a sorry witness of such doings, knowing that a little theory and calculation would have saved him ninety per cent of his labor.”
-Tesla
bwpatton1
Harmless

[*] posted on 25-1-2011 at 18:41

Thanks for all Yalls help. Sorry, I haven't posted sooner, Ive just been so busy lately with school. It really sucks to have to attempt to acquire a permit to buy such basic laboratory equipment such as condensers and flasks! I think Ill do most of the ordering from some place like elemental scientific, they seem pretty fairly priced and they have Pyrex, Yay!!
smaerd
International Hazard

Mood: hmm...

[*] posted on 27-1-2011 at 08:48

I've ordered from Agile-Fx and they have good customer service and don't seem to mind hobbyists :).

edit - agile-fx aka Scientific Equipment of Houston

[Edited on 27-1-2011 by smaerd]
nitric
Harmless

Mood: nitrous

[*] posted on 28-1-2011 at 07:44

As far as i have seen in Texas, the laws only extend to businesses, as they have no home/hobbyist permits available, and the permits for businesses require information that involves have other licenses, so it should not be illegal to own as a resident. Also, Scientific Equipment of Houston looks pretty shady since their chemicals don't show weight or volume.
smaerd
International Hazard

Mood: hmm...

[*] posted on 28-1-2011 at 09:58

I never ordered chemicals. Only equipment, very cheap clamps and stuff.
David1Keller
Harmless

[*] posted on 30-3-2011 at 15:08

Yes, home hobbyists and businesses do need a permit to buy erlenmeyer and boiling flasks. The permit and more info can be found at this website: http://www.txdps.state.tx.us/RegulatoryServices/narcotics/na...
entropy51
Gone, but not forgotten

Mood: Fissile

[*] posted on 30-3-2011 at 16:18

Quote: Originally posted by David1Keller  
Yes, home hobbyists and businesses do need a permit to buy erlenmeyer and boiling flasks. The permit and more info can be found at this website:
Well, yeah, if you want to get all technical about these stupid laws and stuff.

But most of us are so smart that we feel no obligation to let anyone tell us what drugs or explosives we can make, sell or put into our bodies. We will tell you so, too! We're so special that way.:P
cyanureeves
National Hazard

[*] posted on 30-3-2011 at 18:35

loop holes are big in texas! i have to fill out a brady bill form when i buy a gun at the store but i can buy or sell any gun i want to anybody i want with as little as a handshake in texas, even at a gun show.there is no way e-bay buyers will comply with this law.this law is not in keeping with the freedom attitude and pride most texans have about texas. they're acting like we are all david koresh followers or something.
Tex
Harmless

[*] posted on 31-3-2011 at 16:00

You do not need to register your glassware that you already own even if it is on the Texas DPS list of restricted laboratory items. It is not illegal to possess, just to buy or sell within Texas. Also, the permit requirement is only in regards to transactions that occur between at least two people.

From what I can tell the way the law is written, you can purchase any of the laboratory items on the restricted list anywhere out of state and bring them into Texas, but you cannot have them shipped there. But the list is very specific, so a vacuum pump or clamps or any kind of exotic piece of glassware (and I mean any kind) NOT on the list is fair game. And yes, that includes fleakers or even just plain beakers. What it does not include, unfortunately, are flat-bottomed flasks, as they qualify as "single-necked" flasks.

However, because the law is only in regards to transactions between at least two people, there is nothing -- I repeat NOTHING -- restricting a Texas individual from making their own glassware or equipment via lampworking or combining hardware store copper parts and accessories.

In short, it is perfectly legal for you to make and be in possession of your own glassware in Texas. Only in just a few cases, you just can't sell it or buy it.

[Edited on 1-4-2011 by Tex]

m1tanker78
National Hazard

[*] posted on 31-3-2011 at 16:45

Unfortunately, that's why I stick to baby food jars, pyrex cookware, etc. I hope to gradually accumulate some good glassware and other lab essentials over time. I have a clean record but even then, it seems 'dirty' for me to have to register glassware. Then again, I registered all my firearms at the time of purchase. If there's a provision to be able to order labware if you register it then I would give it some consideration and probably go ahead and do it. I seriously doubt if there are any reputable local stores that sell such items.

Tom
bwpatton1
Harmless

[*] posted on 31-3-2011 at 17:26

I wouldnt actually mind registering glassware, even thought its a pain, I have nothing to hide. Its just my parents don't like the idea of a search any time the police just feel like it. The law is a stupid one, and I highly doubt its even really enforced any more, just like something that could indite someone if given the opportunity.....Oh well. I ended up buying alot of glassware from a private seller.
Tex
Harmless

[*] posted on 31-3-2011 at 18:16

Register glassware? No one has to register glassware in Texas. The only requirement is the need to obtain a permit if one is going to purchase any of the following "Chemical laboratory apparatus" items:

(A) a condenser
(B) a distilling apparatus
(C) a vacuum drier
(D) a three-neck or distilling flask
(E) a tableting machine
(F) an encapsulating machine
(G) a filter, Buchner, or separatory funnel
(H) an Erlenmeyer, two-neck, or single-neck flask
(I) a round-bottom, Florence, thermometer, or filtering flask
(J) a Soxhlet extractor
(K) a transformer
(L) a flask heater
(M) a heating mantel or
(N) an adaptor tube

And again, if you know how, you can make and, of course, possess any of the above items legally without a permit and with no registration required. See my previous post as to why.
piracetam
Hazard to Self

Mood: copacetic

[*] posted on 1-4-2011 at 19:52

Quote: Originally posted by Sedit  
Check the local DEA im sure they have a bunch since you need to register your glassware in Tx.

do you know what a joke that is? you can walk into some lab supply stores and buy glass.
they virtually don't even enforce those laws anymore.
piracetam
Hazard to Self

Mood: copacetic

[*] posted on 1-4-2011 at 19:53

Quote: Originally posted by nitric  
Also, Scientific Equipment of Houston looks pretty shady since their chemicals don't show weight or volume.

they're legit.
entropy51
Gone, but not forgotten

Mood: Fissile

[*] posted on 2-4-2011 at 16:26

Quote: Originally posted by piracetam  
do you know what a joke that is? you can walk into some lab supply stores and buy glass.
they virtually don't even enforce those laws anymore.
Of course not. They don't enforce most laws. The cops are as lazy as the rest of us. When was the last time you got a speeding ticket?

However if you cross paths with law enforcement and they somehow notice "unregistered" glassware, what do you think they will do? Heaven forbid that you have "unregistered" glassware and a "precursor" such as a cold tablet or even toluene.

Are you awake? Can you smell the coffee? Wise up.
David1Keller
Harmless

[*] posted on 2-4-2011 at 17:26

I live in Texas, and did get a permit for my labware. It's not that bad; you mail in a form, and in a couple of weeks the police come to your house and ask you a couple of questions. That's really the only thing you have to do. I know the law is stupid, but it's better to stay legal.
David1Keller
Harmless

[*] posted on 2-4-2011 at 17:29

PS:The police have never bothered me again.:)
bwpatton1
Harmless

[*] posted on 2-4-2011 at 20:12

Quote: Originally posted by nitric  
Also, Scientific Equipment of Houston looks pretty shady since their chemicals don't show weight or volume.

I actually live not too far from Scientific Equipment of Houston, but the problem is that their website doesn't list their hours of operation and they won't answer their phones. Therefore, my parents won't take me. :(

That list of "controlled" glassware is very odd. Is there some type of specific drug that requires any of that equipment? Because if there isn't the lawmakers weren't covering their butts very well with that law if the porpus was to try to control laboratories, outlaw flasks but not beakers? Doesn't make any sense to me.
cyanureeves
National Hazard

[*] posted on 3-4-2011 at 12:04

just don't do business with these people who want a permit.last year i walked into united food store and bought sodium hydroxide from the shelf.This year it's not possible and if you ask the manager for it you will get mean stares.I have already seen a business site that asks Texans to submit a permit before buying a certain glass item. I was told also that some stores in texas stopped carrying some chemicals because they felt it was wrong to turn in customer information over to authorities. It would be a crying shame if some young kid's future was ruined only because of a cold tab. Keep looking and don't give up.
 Pages:  1  

Go To Top