Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Plasma in microwave
Bedlasky
International Hazard

Mood: Volatile

[*] posted on 23-8-2019 at 13:55
Plasma in microwave

Hi.

I saw video from NileRed about making plasma in microwave. Very interesting video :).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l0u8Vtf2GoQ
Ubya
International Hazard

Mood: I'm a maddo scientisto!!!

[*] posted on 24-8-2019 at 03:37

yes i saw it too, do you want to start a discussion or just let the board know?about the video (pretty much everyone has subed to nilered and nurdrage i think)

---------------------------------------------------------------------
feel free to correct my grammar, or any mistakes i make
Bedlasky
International Hazard

Mood: Volatile

[*] posted on 24-8-2019 at 08:36

Video was intrigued me, so I decided share it with members of this forum. I haven't enough knowledge about plasma to start a discussion.
mayko
International Hazard

Mood: anomalous (Euclid class)

[*] posted on 24-8-2019 at 09:44

I sent a lot of stuff through the microwave when I was younger. My main takeaway then was that elemental carbon seemed to be the be the single best material for generating fireballs, especially when hot. Burning newspaper/cork is very good, but RT creosote or campfire charcoal also works. Other materials usually seemed to need an arc to strike in order to ignite (eg, one nail alone wouldn't generate much, but two nails with their points close together would form fireballs between them). I think the balls that sometimes come off a piece of Al foil might be started by discharges at small sharp points, where the local voltage density becomes very high.

I was reading this site a lot at the time: http://amasci.com/weird/microwave/voltage1.html

I was intrigued by how much NOx was generated in the video! It got me wondering if a microwave-based version of the Birkeland–Eyde generator.

I also spent like 5 minutes yelling at the screen "It's the beaker! The beaker you doofus!" xD

al-khemie is not a terrorist organization
"Chemicals, chemicals... I need chemicals!" - George Hayduke
"Wubbalubba dub-dub!" - Rick Sanchez
Ubya
International Hazard

Mood: I'm a maddo scientisto!!!

[*] posted on 24-8-2019 at 11:18

Quote: Originally posted by mayko  

I was intrigued by how much NOx was generated in the video! It got me wondering if a microwave-based version of the Birkeland–Eyde generator.

me too!
i have 2 old magnetrons, i could try to build something, but i'm scared of the leaking EM radiation, i don't want to fry my pacemaker accidentally, maybe in the future if a solid design is made i will give it a go.

i thought that a custom chamber could be built (dimensions a multiple of the wavelenght of course), smaller than a normal microwave oven "chamber". maybe lining it with teflon sheet so the metal does not corrode due to NOx. the wave guide would be tricky i think, it needs to not absorb MW energy and reflect it as efficiently as possible, maybe salvaging one from a mw oven is possible?
to start the plasma we just need aluminium foil crumbled in a ball.
a problem would be heat dissipation from the chamber, the plasma is hot and even if very low density we need to run this thing for hours or days, maybe just cycling it with thermofuse? (don't know the exact name, those switches that turn off if the temperature reaches a precise value) when the chamber gets too hot it turn off the magnetron, when cool enough it turns it on again

feel free to correct my grammar, or any mistakes i make

Go To Top