Sciencemadness Discussion Board
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: cyanide legality
its me!

Posts: 10
Registered: 23-8-2019
Location: Czech republic
Member Is Offline

Mood: visibly confused

[*] posted on 27-8-2019 at 22:56
cyanide legality

I want to ask if owning sodium/potassium cyanide is legal in eu (czech republic to be exact) withold license
View user's profile View All Posts By User
Super Administrator

Posts: 6865
Registered: 20-8-2005
Location: Netherlands
Member Is Offline

Mood: interested

[*] posted on 28-8-2019 at 23:41

It is legal, but there will not be many suppliers who are willing to sell it to you. But if you can find one, or you can make it yourself safely, then you may have it (in small quantitities).

The art of wondering makes life worth living...
Want to wonder? Look at
View user's profile Visit user's homepage View All Posts By User
Hazard to Others

Posts: 137
Registered: 15-4-2019
Location: Czech Republic
Member Is Offline

[*] posted on 29-8-2019 at 03:45

I send you message in to U2U about it.
View user's profile View All Posts By User
International Hazard

Posts: 714
Registered: 1-1-2018
Location: Scotland
Member Is Offline

Mood: Anxious

[*] posted on 30-8-2019 at 12:54

Quote: Originally posted by Picnic Acid
|| In the UK all chemicals in the C=N group (Except ferrocyanide and ferricyanide) are illegal to buy, possess, make or obtain without a valid EPP license. This law isn't harmonised with EU law, however, I would imagine most countries will have something more or less like this. I would check with the Czech Republic's version of the Home Office first.

That is not correct.

HCN and metal cyanides (except ferrocyanide/ferricyanides) require an EPP licence. However, other compounds containing a cyanide group are not licensed.

I have plenty of (legal) acetonitrile, for instance. And even if you don't count organic cyanides (nitriles) then there are inorganic nonmetal cyanides like ammonium cyanide... and "fun" things like dicyanogen and cyanogen halides.
View user's profile View All Posts By User

Posts: 30
Registered: 27-8-2019
Location: CZ
Member Is Offline

[*] posted on 30-8-2019 at 17:57

Cyanides are classified as T+ in CZ (T+ means highly toxic).
Read the Law 258/2000 Sb, ยง 44b. You need university degree in chem, pharmacy, medicine, vet, etc or successfully pass special examinations...
But you can perform experiments using cyanides under surveilance of someone who is competent in handling such chemicals according the law mentioned above.
View user's profile View All Posts By User
International Hazard

Posts: 1231
Registered: 12-12-2012
Location: Dysrope (aka europe)
Member Is Offline

Mood: dangerously practical

[*] posted on 4-9-2019 at 23:31

i believe in EU the law is that you simply have to keep poison locked up responsibly such as in a metal locker with lock, it isnt quite clear really. could be country specific, im not 100% sure.

~25 drops = 1mL @dH2O viscocity - STP
Truth is ever growing - but without context theres barely any such.
View user's profile View All Posts By User
Wiki Master

Posts: 232
Registered: 3-11-2013
Member Is Offline

Mood: Energetic

[*] posted on 16-10-2019 at 12:34

Does that law you mentioned specify if it applies to private individuals or research labs/companies only?

View user's profile View All Posts By User

  Go To Top