Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Old Iodine Bromide.
KocourKulisek
Harmless

[*] posted on 28-8-2019 at 20:44
Old Iodine Bromide.

BrI (BrJ on the packing.) It is very old. it is packed in many paper napkings. The ampoule itself is made from a brown glass.

"JODUM MONOBROMATUM

IODIO BROMURO MONO

p. m. 206,84

IBr¨

Iodine monobromide / Monobromure d'Iode / Monobromuro de yodo

p. f. 3S^0-40^0

CARLO ERBA

PRODOTTI CHIMICI PER //--ANALISEE/ANALISIE--// "(idk letters too small)" PER USO SCIENTIFICO

50g "g 50"

"

I would like to trade it for hard to get chemicals. For example propionic anhydride, which sadly became banned due to fentanyl crisis I think. Although it is not/should not be banned in my country when I checked some weeks ago. (3?) Or some antiquities (old things). Sadly I cannot find rules, so I might be able to edit this post later.
j_sum1
Administrator

Mood: Organised

[*] posted on 28-8-2019 at 22:04

You have posted in the right place.
BrI is a bit of a strange one. My guess is it is more often made by accident than deliberately. I know there are some here who have made interhalides as a project. But I don't know if it has many uses beyond being a collector's piece.

If you post location and tentative shipping details you might be able to arrange the swap you are seeking.

Fery
National Hazard

[*] posted on 30-8-2019 at 14:47

Hi KocourKulisek, according your nickname, I found this:
https://www.p-lab.cz/katalog/anhydrid-kyseliny-propionove_96...
I do not have propionic anhydride either propionic acid. I just have 1-propanol and few kilograms of several oxidizers so synthetizing propionic acid could be possible. Has anyone tried dehydrating of aliphatic carboxylic acid by P2O5 to produce anhydride of the carboxylic acid? I have some P2O5 and could buy more quite cheap.
From anhydrides I just have acetic anhydride.
KocourKulisek
Harmless

[*] posted on 10-9-2019 at 13:14

Well... I was thinking about anhydride of some halogenated acid. By the way, this IBr is pure and it is in an ampoule as I said. Sadly, propionic would be really best. Maybe propionic acid and conc. H2SO4 would work. Maybe you can get acetic one from some hobby stuff since it is required for making of aspirin.
DraconicAcid
International Hazard

Mood: Semi-victorious.

[*] posted on 10-9-2019 at 16:45

Quote: Originally posted by j_sum1  
You have posted in the right place.
BrI is a bit of a strange one. My guess is it is more often made by accident than deliberately. I know there are some here who have made interhalides as a project. But I don't know if it has many uses beyond being a collector's piece.

I made it as an undergrad as part of a course. We also reacted it with pyridine to get the ionic [I(py)2]Br. Which was cool.

Please remember: "Filtrate" is not a verb.
Write up your lab reports the way your instructor wants them, not the way your ex-instructor wants them.
Fery
National Hazard

[*] posted on 11-9-2019 at 10:29

@KocourKulisek
Glacial acetic acid costs here 65-100 CZK (2,5 - 4 euro) per 1 liter bottle. I ordered 3 liters of propionic acid for synthesis of various esters recently, but I do not know its price yet until I get the package with chemicals with an invoice inside (this supplier is among the cheapest so I did not ask the actual price of propionic acid). Mixing propionic acid with conc. H2SO4 won't produce propionic anhydride. For making esters it is enough to add only small amount of H2SO4 as a catalyser. Salicylic acid - I bought few months ago 500 g analytical grade (p.a.) for 165 CZK (6 euro). I remember synthesis of aspirin from salicylic acid and acetic anhydride, it ran like a charm, I did the synthesis few decades ago during summer school of chemistry, I still have a vial with the product.
From halogenated acids I have monochloroacetic acid (500 g pure for 165 CZK) and recently ordered trichloroacetic acid (still waiting for its delivery 100 grams 190 CZK - different supplier).
acetylsalicylic_acid.png - 154kB

Go To Top