Sciencemadness Discussion Board
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Obtaining chemicals from chem suppliers or?
DongCling
Harmless

Mood: cock and ball torture

[*] posted on 1-9-2019 at 17:04
Obtaining chemicals from chem suppliers or?

I'm almost certain that this topic was active many times before but here I am :) I'm really starting to have troubles for the past few months because I'm running low on chemicals. I used to work as an orgo chem project associate but I had very tight schedules on college so I eventually stopped working there (big mistake). Now having no other institution on hand (Faculty of Medicine is poorly supplied, at least my department), I really feel like my hands are tied. Not to mention how our law is stupidly strict with import/export of basic things, I've had some situations when they would return some random cables I ordered online with no further explanation. So... EBay and other sites fall out too. The only slim hope is to ask some kind of company or institution to order chemicals for me but that is highly doubtful. It hurts so bad to see my very well supplied lab rotting like this, because it was almost a decade long investment (professional fume hood, a lot of glassware, lab furniture etc..)What about you guys? How you coped with this situation? How you ended up ordering from Sigma, Fischer, etc, because I've seen people having research chemicals. Thanks for all of your attention :)

Meet you at Obscene Extreme festival :)
teodor
National Hazard

[*] posted on 2-9-2019 at 01:08

It really depends on chemicals. There is no general answer. As far as I remember (I was reading this forum for last year) the discussion goes better after publishing which chemicals we are talking about.
DongCling
Harmless

[*] posted on 2-9-2019 at 04:00

I'm talking about chemicals that have almost no use in everyday life like P4O10, CS2, oleum, organic solvents like furan and acetonitrile, and some precs like pyrrole derivatives. I'm doing research on bioactivity of mono and bis supstituted thiocarbohydrazones and other thiocarbohydrazide derivatives. At least I still have access to lab analysis methods...

teodor
National Hazard

[*] posted on 2-9-2019 at 04:17

Well, I do research on photochromism and hope I will be able to get what I need because I have a registered company. The limiting factor is the place where I do my experiments because I have neighbors around me and try not to disturb them with fumes. And, as I wrote already somewhere, cooperation, like renting a laboratory space by a group of people, should be the way to go but I don't know any one. And it's always the money which is a limiting factor, not suppliers.

I hope that other members can help you with the information where to get the chemicals you need.

[Edited on 2-9-2019 by teodor]
DongCling
Harmless

[*] posted on 2-9-2019 at 04:48

Here where i live, trying to register a research lab will lead to one massive failure. The only way one can register such lab is to have it as a public or private institute. There is only one such lab in my country for talented youth to teach them about scientific research and how it is done. Highest one can go is to have some kind of bio analysis lab but it requires to be service only (blood analysis, urine analysis etc). Trying to do research on your own here is real pain :(

teodor
National Hazard

[*] posted on 2-9-2019 at 05:47

Well, the question is "do you need to register a research lab" or you can register something that will serve the same purpose. There should be no explicit law, as far as I can imagine, which prohibits to make research in a company, not explicitly registered as a "research company". But it is another topic. And I think your main question about getting chemicals definitely has solution that will fit for you. But possible you should ask people living in the same country as you do.

By the way, did you read "Surely You're Joking, Mr. Feynman!"? There was a nice story about competition between a chemical corporation and 2 people company :) So, I think the main reason for many restrictions in the field we have is just a fear of competition between small research groups and huge institutions. So, we definitely should be very ingenious.

[Edited on 2-9-2019 by teodor]
DongCling
Harmless

[*] posted on 2-9-2019 at 14:37

Thanks for your reply, teodor! Maybe i explained poorly what i wanted to say in previous post. One can make a research lab but only if it has employed teaching staff. So basicly you need to open a private school (Official Gazette no. 45/2019 under the article "Setting up a private sector research company"). With that in mind, how could one obtain chemicals without registring a lab? I mean, is there a way to have someone else order chemicals for me? Who and what to look for?

By the way, I haven't read that book but it EXACTLY describes thr situation with amateur/home lab researchers in our country.

teodor
National Hazard

[*] posted on 2-9-2019 at 21:57

Quote: Originally posted by DongCling  
I mean, is there a way to have someone else order chemicals for me? Who and what to look for?

I don't know. I order chemicals by myself. The main problem , as you described it, is your custom which returns parcels. I know solutions but for the country where I had lived in. Some members here offer sending chemicals, I think you can find, just browse/search the forum.

If you unable to negotiate or solve problem with parcels, search for the people with similar problems living in your country. Possible, create the topic "chemical suppliers in P..." here to have a chance somebody who knows the situation in your region can help.
DongCling
Harmless

[*] posted on 2-9-2019 at 23:10

I have alredy searched the forum for the people from my country with same problem: no results. Literally my country was only once mentioned on this forum and that was completely out of the topic. Our local forums are useless because they offer little to no information about science in general. Amateur chemistry is a completely foreign thing here. Living in uneducated country is really pain in the ass sometimes :(

teodor
National Hazard

[*] posted on 3-9-2019 at 01:48

The new (more targeted) thread topic will allow people to find your question here from google.

I think you are lucky at least you started your research and had chemicals, just now you have freedom of choice: return to the orgo chem project or to find your own way to get what you need. The troubles you got are typical for people who try to do something on their own: we very often need to return to some company just to try start our business again few years later. So, sometimes we are just not ready to manage all the complexities and should study how other people manage them, like how they get chemicals for research. It is quite normal, nothing wrong. Just don't think that "research laboratory" has some benefits just because it is "research laboratory", they just have people who have experience how to manage things. Like what to do if the custom office delays or returns the parcel, I am sure they know solutions very well. And they also have much bigger problems like searching for the money to pay for the work their staff performs.

I changed the country were I lived before, so I can compare things in different countries. Don't limit yourself to "how things should work" (like "I need to open a research lab or find somebody to order chemicals for me"), try to discover how they really work instead.
DongCling
Harmless

[*] posted on 3-9-2019 at 02:39

Thanks for your support teodor! I will keep trying to find my way out of this situation!

Go To Top