Sciencemadness Discussion Board
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Al catching fire in a cast iron crucible in a kiln?
RogueRose
International Hazard

[*] posted on 3-9-2019 at 06:55
Al catching fire in a cast iron crucible in a kiln?

I was reading on another forum that deals with casting metals and one of the members reported that he almost burnt down his shop by heating aluminum in a cast iron pipe/crucible b/c it got "too hot". I really can't imagine how this could happen and he said it was b/c of a "thermite reaction" happened, lighting the Al on fire. What seems odd was this guy had thousands of posts in this forum and not one person called him out on it. I can't see how over a lb of Al could catch fire, no matter how hot, by heating it in a cast iron crucible, even if there was a little rust on the crucible.

Is this even remotely possible?
Ubya
International Hazard

Mood: I'm a maddo scientisto!!!

[*] posted on 3-9-2019 at 10:18

i also thought it to be impossible, but he's not the only one to comment this event. years ago i followed a YT channel called "the art of weapons" now he is called TAOW, he makes cast aluminium slingshots and at the beginning used an old fire extinguisher as crucible, and reported that once this crucible got really hot in the furnace, blindly hot, and melted through the bottom. i don't know if at those temperatures iron and aluminium can react somehow, to make a thermite reaction you need iron oxide, and i don't think there would be much on the inside of a crucible. any way, take a look at his video https://youtu.be/F21SKWKJJL4

---------------------------------------------------------------------
feel free to correct my grammar, or any mistakes i make
---------------------------------------------------------------------
Tsjerk
International Hazard

Mood: Mood

[*] posted on 3-9-2019 at 10:23

Doesn't aluminium burn on its own at very high temperatures?

I believe I once saw an aluminum rod burning in air after it was dipped in liquid oxygen. It kept burning after the liquid oxygen was gone.
RogueRose
International Hazard

[*] posted on 3-9-2019 at 12:14

Quote: Originally posted by Tsjerk  
Doesn't aluminium burn on its own at very high temperatures?

I believe I once saw an aluminum rod burning in air after it was dipped in liquid oxygen. It kept burning after the liquid oxygen was gone.

Hmm. I'm thinking the crucible failed and the forge/kiln was made with CaSO4 and/or SiO2 and those two provided the O2 necessary for a reaction.
DraconicAcid
International Hazard

Mood: Semi-victorious.

[*] posted on 3-9-2019 at 12:16

Many years ago, I worked at a plant that used the Hall process, and we were warned about the dangers of aluminum fires. Once it starts burning, it is almost impossible to put out.

Please remember: "Filtrate" is not a verb.
Write up your lab reports the way your instructor wants them, not the way your ex-instructor wants them.
RogueRose
International Hazard

[*] posted on 4-9-2019 at 03:13

Quote: Originally posted by DraconicAcid  
Many years ago, I worked at a plant that used the Hall process, and we were warned about the dangers of aluminum fires. Once it starts burning, it is almost impossible to put out.

But did you deal with powdered aluminum there or just hot/melted Al? I know a lot of places that machine Al have to be super careful with the dust/swarf so that no sparks or lite things being thrown into them.
Herr Haber
International Hazard

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 4-9-2019 at 04:04

Iron melting point vs Aluminium boiling point I cant see a fire happening before the crucible melts.

I dont know about this guys kiln but mine is closed so no oxygen and uses graphite crucibles.

The spirit of adventure was upon me. Having nitric acid and copper, I had only to learn what the words 'act upon' meant. - Ira Remsen
RedDwarf
Hazard to Others

Mood: Variable

[*] posted on 4-9-2019 at 04:17

At one time I used a home made crucible (made of 4mm wall steel pipe with a plate welded onto the end) for melting aluminium in my barbeque/patio heater (an old washing machine drum fueled with wood). The first time i used it I was surprised to see how much scrap aluminium I could ram into it while hot, until I took it out to pour the molten aluminium and discovered a hole in the side (not near my weld, before anyone starts dissing my welding :) ). As I struggle to get much over 650C in the barbeque I could only assume that some rust in the pipe had created a thermite reaction sufficient to melt a hole.
wg48temp9
National Hazard

[*] posted on 4-9-2019 at 04:31

It not easy igniting aluminium as it readily forms a high melting temperature oxide that protects the metal from further oxidation.

I am wg48 but not on my usual pc hence the temp handle.
Thank goodness for Fleming and the fungi.
Old codger' lives matters, wear a mask and help save them.
Be aware of demagoguery, keep your frontal lobes fully engaged.
I don't know who invented mRNA vaccines but they should get a fancy medal and I hope they made a shed load of money from it.
MrHomeScientist
International Hazard

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 4-9-2019 at 07:25

Thermite seems unlikely. Even if there were rust, there wouldn't be very much of it.
Iron crucibles are known to fail frequently with aluminum. The iron is slightly soluble in molten Al, so every time you use it it gets a bit thinner until you get a hole. Clay graphite crucibles are the way to go, IMO.
Junk_Enginerd
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 19-4-2020 at 03:10

I have melted lots of aluminium in steel containers. The only time something close to what you describe has happened is when I used a particularly rusty steel rod to stir my molten aluminum. The aluminum was a bit unnecessarily heated, I'd guess 900°C based on glow. It wasn't very dramatic, but some aluminum clearly reacted with the rust with a few intensely white flashes and pops. I guess if you had an extremely cruddy and rusty crucible something bad could happen.

Go To Top