Sciencemadness Discussion Board
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  ..  11    13    15  ..  23
Author: Subject: Making fire (youtube collaborative video)
#maverick#
Hazard to Others

Mood: hybridised

[*] posted on 27-8-2011 at 08:33

sign up for a free webhost like 000webhost and use the ftp given on that u want me to do the ftp?

hkparker
National Hazard

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 27-8-2011 at 08:34

No, I can do it, thanks. I'll probably be buying into a hosting slot anyway so for now just use youtube.

My YouTube Channel

"Nothing is too wonderful to be true if it be consistent with the laws of nature." -Michael Faraday
#maverick#
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 27-8-2011 at 08:36

yea thing is i can login on ftp but cant store stuff so i think you need to alter the permissions

hkparker
National Hazard

[*] posted on 27-8-2011 at 08:37

your logeen in as admin, shouldn't be a permissions thing. I was working fine until I did something yesterday on accident... I'll fix it...

My YouTube Channel

"Nothing is too wonderful to be true if it be consistent with the laws of nature." -Michael Faraday
#maverick#
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 27-8-2011 at 08:41

Aight cool.

mewrox99
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 28-8-2011 at 03:41

I'll also like to rejoin the project.
I'll upload some stuff via megaupload soon
hkparker
National Hazard

[*] posted on 28-8-2011 at 15:15

Quote: Originally posted by mewrox99  
I'll also like to rejoin the project.
I'll upload some stuff via megaupload soon

Thank you!

My YouTube Channel

hkparker
National Hazard

[*] posted on 6-9-2011 at 07:57

Thanks for the submission Mewrox99, just go it.

My YouTube Channel

MrHomeScientist
International Hazard

[*] posted on 6-9-2011 at 17:31

I just uploaded one of my previous submissions to megaupload, I'll PM you the link.

edit: Make that two videos.

[Edited on 9-7-2011 by MrHomeScientist]
hkparker
National Hazard

[*] posted on 6-9-2011 at 17:52

Got it, thanks!

My YouTube Channel

Chemistry Alchemist
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 8-9-2011 at 05:39

Make a chlorine Generator and fill a beaker full of the gas, put a watch glass ontop to keep it all it, now place a rag in Turpentine and then place it into the chlorine gas, it should start to produce black smoke (carbon) and burst into fire.

correct me if im wrong :)

hkparker
National Hazard

[*] posted on 12-9-2011 at 13:04

I have quite a few usable videos, but only 3 (4 including me) people have resubmitted, which I don't think is enough to post yet.

I'm going to U2U every member of this thread who expressed interest in contributing in case they weren't aware its active again. I hope I'll get a response from a few people and should be enough to keep it going.

Other then that, is it ok with everyone to use my channel to host the video?

FTP is up again as well

hkparker.dyndns.org
username: admin
password: sciencemadness

My YouTube Channel

hkparker
National Hazard

[*] posted on 13-9-2011 at 22:14

I have edited everything I have received so far into one video just to see how it would look. Its not bad but I feel it could use more submissions.

I want feedback on a few things from those involved however:

How many submissions does everyone feel are necessary? If desired I will render the video and post it on here as a preview so you can get a feel of a "rough draft", then decide if more people are required.

When should the submission deadline be? I was thinking I would consider it closed in at most two weeks, seeing as this project was started at the end of January.

There will be some scenes where I need to transition. Can I shoot myself talking or is my face not wanted in this? Should I instead talk over a Sciencemadness logo or something?

Is my YouTube channel the best place to post the final product?

Sorry to shoot so many questions, but I want to make sure I'm getting everyone's input. I'm really only asking mewrox99, MrHomeScientist, and #maverick# as you three are the only contributes at this point. But if anyone else contributes please let me know your opinions on these.

Thanks!

My YouTube Channel

watson.fawkes
International Hazard

[*] posted on 14-9-2011 at 10:18

Quote: Originally posted by hkparker  
How many submissions does everyone feel are necessary?
Just call it "Fire, Part 1". The number of submissions you have for it matters much less, if you leave room for a sequel.
#maverick#
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 14-9-2011 at 12:32

And yea could have the SM logo and like present the next vid. I would say atleast 4 videos. Then u can upload and leave room for a sequel

hkparker
National Hazard

[*] posted on 14-9-2011 at 20:31

Ok.

I'm finishing the rough draft and will have it on youtube tonight. It includes everyone who has submitted or given me permission so far. Please let me know if there any any major changes that are very important to you.

EDIT:

the rough draft is here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tV5echaTPq8

[Edited on 15-9-2011 by hkparker]

My YouTube Channel

woelen
Super Administrator

Mood: interested

[*] posted on 14-9-2011 at 23:12

This compilation already looks very nice. There are a few typos in the texts and in the last experiment an error is made. The nitromethane is not added to sodium peroxide, but to sodium oxide. When I have more time, then I'll point to the typos. A few transitions still are not clear (e.g. the reaction of glycerol and KMnO4 is without intro), I'll rewatch the video and try to find more of this kind of glitches.

But this already is an awesome start and it looks really good.

The art of wondering makes life worth living...
Want to wonder? Look at https://woelen.homescience.net
hkparker
National Hazard

[*] posted on 14-9-2011 at 23:21

Thank you very much. I'm still trying to find all the typos so help is very appreciated.

Did not put introductions on several videos because I felt they were explained in the video and wanted to minimize talking time. If you feel this decreases fluidity and quality of the video I will change it however.

My YouTube Channel

watson.fawkes
International Hazard

[*] posted on 15-9-2011 at 05:55

Did not put introductions on several videos because I felt they were explained in the video and wanted to minimize talking time. If you feel this decreases fluidity and quality of the video I will change it however.
Your narration is just fine; there's no need to eliminate parts of it. The most important aspect of the narration is that it provides the viewer the context for what they're watching. With inadequate context, it's just a bunch of flames. Orienting the viewer is paramount to make this material meaningful.

Each experimental run needs a bit of narration, if only to orient the viewer that they're seeing the same reaction as before. Likewise, every time the chemical reaction changes, there should be an explicit transition and some narration.

You're reading the titles as they're visible on the screen. This is considered an elementary mistake in film making circles; you never both show and tell. It doesn't work well even here. Rather than putting the script on the screen, you can put the chemical formulas for the reaction, the names of the reactants, etc. It's OK if there's some overlap, but don't make them identical.

I'd like to see the contributors credited at the introduction to each section. It would make the collaborative nature of the project more visible. It will also encourage future contributions. Listing a contact email for contributions allows people to act on the suggestion.

Finally, I have a nit. The sciencemadness logo is way too large in the intertitles.

MrHomeScientist
International Hazard

[*] posted on 15-9-2011 at 05:56

I really like what you've done with this! Really excellent work with tieing everything together. I like how we have a couple of videos to showcase each reaction, and I also like how you grouped them together (i.e. manganese heptoxide rxns).

I also noticed the typos woelen mentioned. There's one at 9:20, 10:32, and 13:03.

Also, it might worthwhile to put a watermark with the channel name of the person that filmed each clip somewhere on it. That way people know exactly who did what, and you wouldn't have to write as much in the description. Just a thought.

I think the number of videos and total length is perfect for Part 1. I look forward to more collaborations!

Fantastic work on this, hk!
hkparker
National Hazard

[*] posted on 15-9-2011 at 07:49

Thanks you guys! I'm glad this project is going somewhere!

The reason contributors weren't mentioned is because I was going to put all that in the description, this will be changed. I understand the don't read it while it's written on the screen concept but in my honest opinion it works fine here. If those in the video feel it is bad I will change it.

I am also planning on doing a large write up for this that will go in the description, I don't think I made this clear. It will include chemical reactions, a few sentence summaries of things not mentioned in the video, links to sites including more information (especially to woelen's pages on the videos he contributed).

Things that will change for the next revision:
<ul>
<li>Typos will be fixed as I find them. Please point any out that haven't been mentioned already.
</li>
<li>An introduction will be made for every new reaction. This introduction will include the usernames of the contributors involved.
</li>
<li>I will fix the last reaction to Na2O, not Na2O2.
</li>
</ul>
I know the sm logo is pretty big but it was easiest to format this way and I don't think it takes anything away from the video, as the text still fits fine.

My YouTube Channel

MrHomeScientist
International Hazard

[*] posted on 15-9-2011 at 10:24

The reason contributors weren't mentioned is because I was going to put all that in the description, this will be changed. I understand the don't read it while it's written on the screen concept but in my honest opinion it works fine here. If those in the video feel it is bad I will change it.

I'm no film buff, but that and the size of the SM logo looked fine to me. I actually like how prominent it is. All your proposed revisions sound good to me!
hkparker
National Hazard

[*] posted on 15-9-2011 at 21:55

A (more) final draft:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UWYiyFkfxQU
What was changed:
<ul>
<li>3 typos pointed out by MrHomeScientist were fixed.</li>
<li>peroxide/oxide mistake was corrected</li>
<li>Introduction was added between every new reaction</li>
<li>contributor usernames were added in each introduction</li>
<li>new video was added (turpentine and chlorine). Thanks MrHomeScientist!</li>
</ul>

So I think this could be considered for the final product (assuming it spell checks ok). Unless there are any objections? If no then I will start writing the description.

My YouTube Channel

MrHomeScientist
International Hazard

[*] posted on 16-9-2011 at 07:41

Looks great! It's cool that we got so many different contributors to this, and good to see woelen's involved with quite a few of them. Really interesting and exotic stuff.

Also, thanks to Chemistry Alchemist above for mentioning the turpentine/chlorine reaction. I hadn't heard of that before, and turns out it works pretty good!
hkparker
National Hazard

[*] posted on 16-9-2011 at 15:43

Ok description write up is done.

It was too long to put everything under the video so here's what I did. Contributors and credits are under the video, with a link to a summary of the experiments. I made the summary of the experiments a text file and stuck it on the public ftp, following the link just shows the plain text in the browser.

So, please go through everything and if there are no spelling errors, this is the final product then?

My YouTube Channel

Pages:  1  ..  11    13    15  ..  23

Go To Top