Sciencemadness Discussion Board
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  ..  13    15    17  ..  23
Author: Subject: Making fire (youtube collaborative video)
Endimion17
International Hazard

Mood: speeding through time at the rate of 1 second per second

[*] posted on 18-9-2011 at 11:31

So let me get this straight. You would be ok with someone making a video in which 50 ml of nitrogen trichloride are accumulated in a flask full of water and no explanations, warnings or cleanup procedures are provided (not even in the description, where it should go; neither do I think videos should be stretched)... if the person puts a disclaimer which frees him from any responsibility, legal or whatsoever.

Is it just me, or that sounds like what a typical rich, yuppie lawyer from Manhattan we all know and hate would do? Well I think it violates the basic ethics. And it probably violates the law in most countries. It would violate the law in my country, that's for sure.

[Edited on 18-9-2011 by Endimion17]

hkparker
National Hazard

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 18-9-2011 at 11:38

No, I dont think putting a "you cant sue me sign" on videos doesn't make you not responsible, thats Yeti's opinion. Putting a "for entertainment purposes only" is a good idea, though I have had viewers insulted, as they thought I was trying to say I didn't think anyone else was capable of repeating my demonstrations safely (opposite of the truth!). I generally say please exercise appropriate caution if you repeat anything seen here.

I see what you are saying Endimion17, about how we are coming off as being more educated then the rest and should present things as such. And though I know we dont follow the literature _perfectly_, I do not think we are hurting anyone.

My YouTube Channel

"Nothing is too wonderful to be true if it be consistent with the laws of nature." -Michael Faraday
White Yeti
National Hazard

Mood: delocalized

[*] posted on 18-9-2011 at 14:43

I'm saying it's better to put a sign that is very straight forward "for entertainment purposes only" (in my mind) is not straight forward enough. You can't misinterpret a sign that says, "I am not responsible for the damage anyone might cause to himself/herself while attempting to duplicate reactions contained in the video".

I think it's also pretty easy to spot "pyro kids". They usually ask the author where they got chemicals and what are the proportions (because they don't know what stoichiometry is).

So how about this, you modify the comments section so that people need your approval to post comments. That way, if someone asks a question that looks suspicious, you delete the comment so that no one can give any info on how to duplicate the reactions. It seems harsh, but it's the most you can do, aside from throwing months of work into the trash. You can't eliminate stupidity, or prevent stupid things from happening, but you can do your best in mitigating the damage.

[Edited on 9-18-2011 by White Yeti]
TheNaKLaB
Hazard to Self

Mood: Elastic

[*] posted on 18-9-2011 at 15:08

Can be apart of this guys?

http://www.youtube.com/user/TheNaKLaBScience

"Aerodynamically, the bumble bee shouldn't be able to fly, but the bumble bee doesn't know it so it goes on flying anyway" - Mary Kay Ash
hkparker
National Hazard

[*] posted on 18-9-2011 at 15:11

What? If you would like to participate in part 2 that is great. Watch part 1, if you have a reaction that was not covered in part 1 film it and send me a download link, or upload it to my ftp space at hkparker.dyndns.org. Username: admin password: sciencemadness. Thanks for the interest!

My YouTube Channel

"Nothing is too wonderful to be true if it be consistent with the laws of nature." -Michael Faraday
TheNaKLaB
Hazard to Self

[*] posted on 18-9-2011 at 15:16

I watched part one, it was brilliant!
Would I be able to use my Pyrophoric Iron video? Since the sparks could cause a fire?

"Aerodynamically, the bumble bee shouldn't be able to fly, but the bumble bee doesn't know it so it goes on flying anyway" - Mary Kay Ash
hkparker
National Hazard

[*] posted on 18-9-2011 at 15:20

Thank you, I'm glad you liked it!

Pyrophoric iron sounds like a good contribution, your video had quite a bit of sparks in it. I think it could be interesting to see the sparks light another flamable substance on fire as well. If its convenient, make more iron oxalate and this time dump the decomposition product on perhaps 1 ml of ethanol on a watch glass. You shouldn't need much iron, try less then a gram at first.

Also, welcome to sciencemadness :)

My YouTube Channel

TheNaKLaB
Hazard to Self

[*] posted on 18-9-2011 at 15:25

Ok so I'll make some more and dump in on some ethanol :) I should have it filmed and ready by late today, should that be fine? Would I be able to email you the video?

Thank you :)

hkparker
National Hazard

[*] posted on 18-9-2011 at 15:27

Be careful with it! Take as much time as you need, part one was released today so part two wont be out for I would imagine 1-2 months.

It will (it should) be too large for email. megaupload has been the conventional way to do things, or my ftp. If you need help using ftp I can U2U you instructions, or just stick it on megaupload.

My YouTube Channel

TheNaKLaB
Hazard to Self

[*] posted on 18-9-2011 at 15:34

I'll make sure the precautions are present :) Oh okay, I wont talk that long to make it anyway.
Yeah would you be able to U2U me the instructions? That would be great! If it doesn't work, I'll try megaupload :)

Endimion17
International Hazard

[*] posted on 18-9-2011 at 16:02

If pyrophoric materials are needed, you might consider lead. Pyrophoric form can be obtained by vacuum pyrolysis of its citrate, or dry distillation of tartrate at normal pressure, which is a more convenient method.
However, I'm not sure is it possible to set anything on fire other than the lead itself...

Boranes come to mind... carbonyl metal compounds...
Cobalt sulphide previously heated to 300°C and cooled could ignite itself...

[Edited on 19-9-2011 by Endimion17]

hkparker
National Hazard

[*] posted on 18-9-2011 at 16:07

Good ideas, thanks! Other pyrophiric metals are good.

I remember seeing this video of boranes:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jM8VC3R-l-Q
A bit too quick imho but might still be worth including if someon can repeat it.

This also looks very interesting:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P3PpupxmhFs

Phosphine is burned when the pyrophoric impurity diphosphane is made.

While all the phosphine should be consumed in flame, its still pretty stupid to make without a very controlled environment.

My YouTube Channel

TheNaKLaB
Hazard to Self

[*] posted on 18-9-2011 at 16:17

What about this one?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G7Lg9mdazC4
Someone could repeat this experiment but Platiniumis needed as a catalyst :\

hkparker
National Hazard

[*] posted on 18-9-2011 at 16:19

This was preformed earlier in this thread by member Morgan, I want to say page 9... somewhere between 8 and 12. He sprayed methanol on Pt powder and it burst into flames. I did not hear a response when asking for permission to use it in the first video.

My YouTube Channel

Endimion17
International Hazard

[*] posted on 18-9-2011 at 16:28

I made phosphine from WP in an alkalic environment. Of course impure and pyrophoric. But it is possible to make it in a controlled fashion and fill vessels with it if every part of the reaction apparatus is purged from air. Ether is an excellent choice if one doesn't have access to inert gasses or Schlenk lines.
A controlled production of phosphine and non-pyrophoric phosphine (Thénard) is actually something I was planning to put on Youtube soon.
Other videos on YT show messy reactions akin to the ones with silane. But it would be cool to fill a syringe and push it out. Impure phosphine would make a very bright ball of fire and copious amounts of pentoxide smoke.

And it would be cool to separate diphosphine by Thénard's method and see how it ignites.

TheNaKLaB
Hazard to Self

[*] posted on 18-9-2011 at 16:29

Ohk fair enough, It would be an extremely expensive experiment as well!

hkparker
National Hazard

[*] posted on 18-9-2011 at 16:30

woelen used a syringe to inject this pyrophoric mix into chlorine in the last video, and it worked really well. I think doing a more dirty reaction like the one I linked would be cool but on a not fire related topic I would like to see your synthesis Endimion17. Do you want to film these?

My YouTube Channel

Endimion17
International Hazard

[*] posted on 18-9-2011 at 16:56

I'd like to, but I'm unable to do so at the moment as I don't have access to my stuff.
Anyway, impure phosphine is a lousy way of getting actual fire. I somehow doubt it could ignite a sheet ot paper. It's just fun to look at.

Bot0nist
International Hazard

Mood: Streching my cotyledons.

[*] posted on 18-9-2011 at 18:38

:D Bravo hk and SciMad contributors. A great video. Can't wait for part 2.

U.T.F.S.E. and learn the joys of autodidacticism!

Don't judge each day only by the harvest you reap, but also by the seeds you sow.
hkparker
National Hazard

[*] posted on 18-9-2011 at 20:30

Thanks Bot0nist!!

I'm really glad so much interest has been generated in part 2 already! TheNaKLab has submitted a vid of iron oxalate, and will be shooting different ones. Formatik has submitted 4 really great reactions.

@Endimion17 Ok, well this will likely be open for a while so if its ever convenient that would be good.

Even if its not the most practical that's still ok, there were some in part 1 that definitely wouldn't light a sheet of paper.

My YouTube Channel

woelen
Super Administrator

Mood: interested

[*] posted on 20-9-2011 at 08:25

Endimium, I do not think there is a real safety issue with the video. There is a great difference between this video and the average k3wl fucking b00m video. I have no objections against the manganese heptoxide, as presented here. It is a small and impure sample. There is another thing as well, most kewls never heard of manganese heptoxide and never will make it. Most chemicalsin the video are too exotic for the kewl. They watch the video, think that it is funny and cool and go on with their things. Kewl want nitrates and chlorates, no exotic like manganese heptoxide.

The art of wondering makes life worth living...
Want to wonder? Look at https://woelen.homescience.net
hkparker
National Hazard

[*] posted on 21-9-2011 at 16:21

Exciting news everyone: our video made the MAKE Magazine blog!! This means a ton more exposure and more ad money (to be donated to sciencemadness).

Post is here:

http://blog.makezine.com/archive/2011/09/fire-without-matche...

My YouTube Channel

#maverick#
Hazard to Others

Mood: hybridised

[*] posted on 21-9-2011 at 17:09

haha thats awesome this just motivated me to think of more ideas

TheNaKLaB
Hazard to Self

[*] posted on 21-9-2011 at 17:21

Well done guys! I'm so glad that I can be part of the second video!

plante1999
International Hazard

Mood: Mad as a hatter

[*] posted on 21-9-2011 at 17:25

I can also be a part of the second video.

I never asked for this.
 Pages:  1  ..  13    15    17  ..  23

Go To Top