Sciencemadness Discussion Board
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2    4
Author: Subject: Useing a balloon for a oxyhydrogen explosive?
gregxy
Hazard to Others

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 13-5-2014 at 10:54

I remember going to a science fair (maker fair, I don't remember)
Someone had made a machine for demonstrating H2 O2 explosions. They had soapy water with electrodes underneath the surface. The gas released would form soap bubbles and you could ignite them with a spark device. The whole thing was enclosed in lexan, and in spite of this the "bang" from even a 1" bubble was uncomfortably loud! I think this gas mixture must make the DDT very rapidly since I don't think a simple unenclosed burning gas would produce a bang.

I also made a propane powered potato cannon, with a mixing device to insure it had a near stociometric mixture. It would go bang without any potato in the barrel (just the open barrel) and the shock wave from the open barrel could blow holes through thick cardboard. The runup distance for propane is definitely quite long but with it enclosed so much and ignited from multiple points (it had 2 spark gaps in series) I think its possible it made DDT.
Bert
Super Administrator

Mood: " I think we are all going to die. I think that love is an illusion. We are flawed, my darling".

[*] posted on 13-5-2014 at 19:45

The physicists and engineers my dad worked with in the early 1960's were not averse to a large explosion, alcohol, a summer pig roast party or (best of all worlds!) a combination of these three things.

They would take the largest diameter roll of plastic film tube from a bag making machine in the supply department at their research facility, a (certainly unauthorized and hideously expensive!) chemically pure Hydrogen gas bottle and a welding Oxygen Dewar, go out to the area behind the physical science lab machine shop where they held summer picnic parties and make 50 foot by 2 foot gas balloons with a "black cat" firecracker & a long piece of visco fuse as a detonator.

When sufficiently well lubricated, these PhD lunatics would turn loose one of these infernal devices as the announcement that the roasted pig was about to be served...

I don't really know what a normal childhood is like, mine was probably a lot more fun.

[Edited on 14-5-2014 by Bert]

Rapopart’s Rules for critical commentary:

1. Attempt to re-express your target’s position so clearly, vividly and fairly that your target says: “Thanks, I wish I’d thought of putting it that way.”
2. List any points of agreement (especially if they are not matters of general or widespread agreement).
3. Mention anything you have learned from your target.
4. Only then are you permitted to say so much as a word of rebuttal or criticism.

Anatol Rapoport was a Russian-born American mathematical psychologist (1911-2007).

Fantasma4500
International Hazard

Mood: dangerously practical

[*] posted on 14-5-2014 at 02:38

H2SO4 and zinc seems as a great idea however, the H2SO4 wont boil out and doesnt need to be concentrated to work decently

if you strap a fuse to it make sure it bends away from the balloon, and its placed underneath the balloon, and if you want it even safer then put some masking tape around the fuse so sparks wont ignite it too early
also use a storm lighter and direct the flame away from the balloon
try not to have direct contact with the balloon and body parts

and most of all dont use flying fish fuse mounted on top of the superlight hydrogen balloon. lol.

~25 drops = 1mL @dH2O viscocity - STP
Truth is ever growing - but without context theres barely any such.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Solubility_table
http://www.trimen.pl/witek/calculators/stezenia.html
Bert
Super Administrator

Mood: " I think we are all going to die. I think that love is an illusion. We are flawed, my darling".

[*] posted on 14-5-2014 at 05:12

No Hydrogen tanks around our house. No strong acids available to a 9 year old kid... But books and cooking/cleaning supplies were. I found a mention of hot solutions of washing soda (Sodium carbonate) in water mixed with Aluminum producing Hydrogen gas.

Well! A beer bottle filled with Aluminum foil chaff, water and washing soda from my buddy up the streets laundry room were cooking on the (GAS!!!) stove within minutes. A balloon was stretched over the top of the bottle...

We generated enough Hydrogen for a pretty good pop, before the bottle cracked from thermal stress, Hydrogen leaked and the balloon went off still on our makeshift gas generator. We were watching this process from REALLY CLOSE. With no safety equipment of any kind.

It was a good thing we weren't able to obtain acid or lye, boiling Sodium carbonate/Sodium aluminate solution was nasty enough.

Rapopart’s Rules for critical commentary:

1. Attempt to re-express your target’s position so clearly, vividly and fairly that your target says: “Thanks, I wish I’d thought of putting it that way.”
2. List any points of agreement (especially if they are not matters of general or widespread agreement).
3. Mention anything you have learned from your target.
4. Only then are you permitted to say so much as a word of rebuttal or criticism.

Anatol Rapoport was a Russian-born American mathematical psychologist (1911-2007).

Fantasma4500
International Hazard

Mood: dangerously practical

[*] posted on 10-6-2014 at 10:31

sodium carbonate really???
can you not.. im already surprised..
i might need to look into this, could be very useful especially as i always rolls up aluminium foil when im 'done' with it to keep a smaller scrap pile of large surface aluminium

i still think i topped you in messing up, bert..

37% H2SO4
steel pot
seemingly didnt react with steel, supposing it was 'acid resistant steel'
gas stove
a few 100 mL, sure
about 20 minutes later i went back out to check up on it, finding a thick fog of SO3 as i opened the door, stepped back to fill my lounges up and then i dived into the hell of reality
boiling highly concentrated H2SO4 reacting with steel
my mom has since then accused me of nicking her pan lid, which i never touched, no clue what pan lid even, i had to throw away the steel pot, sandpaper didnt work at all

good thing i never got to order a package with oxidizers and metal fuels back then, shit could have escalated

once also managed to get a dangerous amount of hydrogen in a barn as i had a few friends over and decided to just watch them fuck shit up with a bottle of HCl and aluminium foil, using waaaay too much, and me just sitting at a chair watching, seeing them learn from mistakes
good luck their lighters didnt work, there was a good chance the entire building could have blown up from a lighter

~25 drops = 1mL @dH2O viscocity - STP
Truth is ever growing - but without context theres barely any such.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Solubility_table
http://www.trimen.pl/witek/calculators/stezenia.html
Pyro_cat
Hazard to Others

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 17-10-2019 at 20:05

Quote: Originally posted by crazedguy  
So I came up with the idea that you could put a balloon on a water bottle and capture the gases made by electrolysis.
The point of this would be to either tape a fuse to the balloon which would provide a sufficient bang, but I think it may be possible to get a better bang by strapping a small flash powder fire cracker to it.

So the question is would this provide better bang by setting it off with a small flash powder bomb would that get a full detonation, or would it be the same as just using a fuse?
I know that by adding 1 gram flash to set it off will be slightly louder but would it achieve full detonation. (1 gram-ish)

Would a balloon full of oxyhydrogen float?

This is old thread I know but I want to add to it.

When I was experimenting with the gas balloons I tried spraying the balloons with starting fluid to get a flame all the way around them hoping to ignite as much of the gas as possible at once like a 'fat man' implosion or at least not have any gases pushed away from a single ignition point and dissipated.

The flame would completely surround the balloon before it ruptured and ignited and it seemed to increase intensity but without a high speed camera I don't know if I was getting multiple ignition points.

Use a long thin tube to fill balloons, no reason to ever be real close to them.

Slow mo - balloon popping. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KdtSN7Zl9WQ

[Edited on 18-10-2019 by Pyro_cat]
 Pages:  1  2    4

Go To Top