Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Chemicals in NZ. Not industrial qunatites
mewrox99
Hazard to Others

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 30-1-2011 at 05:56
Chemicals in NZ. Not industrial qunatites

I'm looking for some reagents in NZ. All I can really find are industrial amounts of what I'm looking for.

25% NH3
70% HNO3

I want no more than 1L of each. Where should I go.
hissingnoise
International Hazard

Mood: Pulverulescent!

[*] posted on 30-1-2011 at 06:54

Have you tried ebay.nz?

psychokinetic
National Hazard

Mood: Constantly missing equilibrium

[*] posted on 30-1-2011 at 12:40

ebay.co.nz is still a real website?

EDIT: No mewrox, I don't know. I've done a lot of searching for various chemicals and it seems to be more and more likely that the only places to obtain such materials are through companies that require you to be an institute of some sort.

[Edited on 30-1-2011 by psychokinetic]

“If Edison had a needle to find in a haystack, he would proceed at once with the diligence of the bee to examine straw after straw until he found the object of his search.
I was a sorry witness of such doings, knowing that a little theory and calculation would have saved him ninety per cent of his labor.”
-Tesla
Xenoid
National Hazard

Mood: Comfortably Numb

[*] posted on 30-1-2011 at 12:59

Go back to sleep, Hissingnoise - there is no ebay.nz :D

You can buy 5 litre containers of nitric acid and ammonia on "Trade Me". That's probably the best you will do. Having said that, I bought 500 ml of both nitric acid and ammonia on "Trade Me" a couple of years ago, from another seller. So keep checking back!
hkparker
National Hazard

[*] posted on 30-1-2011 at 13:47

Mewrox99

I have about 400ml of 70% HNO3. It was shipped to me in an HDPE container and I transfered it to a glass container when It got here, but I kept the original container. When I do go off to college this is not one I can leave at home, or take with me for that matter, so whatever I have left, probably 200-300ml, needs to find a good home. Now I would be happy to give this to you, but shipping is something I am afraid of. Im going to assume shipping that is illegal and I would want nothing to do with the consequences of it leaking or getting found out. So what does everyone think, is it worth it to just ship it? Or should I try to ship it legally (if possible) with a hazmat box?

My YouTube Channel

"Nothing is too wonderful to be true if it be consistent with the laws of nature." -Michael Faraday
Magic Muzzlet
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 30-1-2011 at 14:34

Nitric acid, shipped legally or illegally, is one of THE last things I would want to ship overseas.
hkparker
National Hazard

[*] posted on 30-1-2011 at 14:37

That's what I figured, I don't want to get caught up in all that so yea. You can always make it, I did that for a while.

My YouTube Channel

"Nothing is too wonderful to be true if it be consistent with the laws of nature." -Michael Faraday
mewrox99
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 31-1-2011 at 05:37

Yeah I was thinking about making it. Except to legally purchase a simple condenser in New Zealand, you need to fill out a form which asks what you are using it for and ID that goes to the police. No thanks! And I doubt the cops will be impressed if I put down that I'll be using it to make RFNA

As for the shipping of the nitric acid overseas It's not possible because the shipping cost is obscene
hkparker
National Hazard

[*] posted on 31-1-2011 at 11:01

Yea I was going to say, its probably just as hard to get a condenser. Wish I could help you out, sorry

My YouTube Channel

rrkss
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 31-1-2011 at 12:21

Quote: Originally posted by mewrox99  
Yeah I was thinking about making it. Except to legally purchase a simple condenser in New Zealand, you need to fill out a form which asks what you are using it for and ID that goes to the police. No thanks! And I doubt the cops will be impressed if I put down that I'll be using it to make RFNA

As for the shipping of the nitric acid overseas It's not possible because the shipping cost is obscene

Isn't distilling liquor at home legal in your country. Just say you are practicing home brewing of spirits as your reason for buying the condenser.
ScienceSquirrel
International Hazard

Mood: Dogs are pets but cats are little furry humans with four feet and self determination! :(

[*] posted on 31-1-2011 at 12:48

Very true.
New Zealand allows the running of a still of up to 3 litre capacity without a licence or duty payable as long as it is for private consumption.
So flask, still head, thermometer condenser, pig, etc all for making legal hooch.
Invite your best sheep to the barbie! ;)
mewrox99
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 31-1-2011 at 19:12

Problem is I'm only 15 so I can't say I'm using it to distill EtOH
rrkss
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 1-2-2011 at 03:07

Quote: Originally posted by mewrox99  
Problem is I'm only 15 so I can't say I'm using it to distill EtOH

Maybe your parents can help you get around that little problem?
mewrox99
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 1-2-2011 at 03:30

It's too much effort. I'll just wait till later this year when I get to a distillation at school in chem class. I'm pretty sure it's an ester distillation.
Bismuth
Harmless

[*] posted on 1-2-2011 at 04:14

Industrial suppliers are the solution to your problems. There's a lot of them who are more than happy to sell to an individual, too. A friend of mine purchased quantities of 70% HNO3 in 30kg drums, for $25AUD a pop. It can be done.
hkparker
National Hazard

[*] posted on 1-2-2011 at 07:37

The title of this tread includes "not industrial quantities", so 30KG of HNO3 is not what he had in mind

My YouTube Channel

mewrox99
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 5-2-2011 at 05:38

I don't want an industrial quantity of anything dangerous like HNO3. 500mL of spillage is no-where near as bad as 10L+
Bismuth
Harmless

[*] posted on 5-2-2011 at 17:22

Guess what! I'm quite aware of the title, but it's honestly the most worthwhile way of doing it. Ordering them from lab suppliers is a good way to be put under the radar, especially if you want to order other reagents from them ever again. I remember your messages about being interrogated for purchasing beakers, so I don't know what makes you comfortable about this.

If you have the room to store it, I implore you to get an industrial quantity. If you're worrying about spillage, you're obviously approaching it in an asinine manner. If you think you're going to be lifting 10L containers and pouring them into small beakers, you need to reevaluate your problem solving skills. It goes without saying, do whatever you feel comfortable with. But, with chemicals slowly being restricted/regulated, a large quantity is thinking ahead. A fellow NZ chemistry aficionado whom I'm friends with had much difficulty with ordering quantities of 1L of HNO3 in NZ without arousing suspicion/getting put under the radar, but he went out and got a large drum without a problem.

Go To Top