Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Ethyl acetate and butyl acetate uses and storage
Bedlasky
International Hazard

Mood: Volatile

[*] posted on 13-9-2019 at 21:44
Ethyl acetate and butyl acetate uses and storage

Hi.

I want some ethyl acetate and butyl acetate to stabilizing CrO5. But the smallest bottle which I may buy is 1l. For what is these chemicals used for? I am focused on inorganic chemistry and I don't have much equipment for organic synthesis. I have an idea making n-butanol from butyl acetate. Maybe some extractions? I really don't know.

And what about storage? They are both flammable - should I stored them in some cabinet or in more well ventilated area?
Fery
National Hazard

[*] posted on 18-9-2019 at 11:44

CrO5 is not stable, if you extract it from water into organic solvent it just persists for longer time than in water.
1-butanol is cheaper than its acetylester.
Ventilated area? Esters should not evaporate significantly from well closed bottle. I remember only evaporating toluene from plastic bottle - about 50 ml in few weeks, I did not investigate whether through the cap or the plastic bottle itself. I just transferred it into a glass bottle immediately after noticing the plastic bottle was not so full as it was on delivery and then the problem was gone... I understand distributors (reducing price using cheaper plastic bottle than glass, minimizing risk of bottle breaking during transport and handling, weight of 1 l glass bottle is half a kilo etc). The plastic bottle with toluene was quite soft on touch unlike other bottles with different chemicals, then the empty bottle slowly became hard again.
Ethylacetate has a nice scent in low concentrations... But this is individual - I like also asphalt, when I was very small boy I used to watch asphalt melting and loading into vehicles on the opposite bank of a river so I dreamt about working there :D I believe this was my first contact with chemistry - that time from safe distance.
Butylacetate has even nicer scent. Amylacetate, ethylcapronate hmmm :cool:
woelen
Super Administrator

Mood: interested

[*] posted on 18-9-2019 at 23:44

You cannot store CrO5 for more than a few hours. I once tried it myself in my younger years :D

In the evening, I had a nice deep blue solution in diethyl ether. The next morning, the ether was colorless and there was a thin dark green layer, which had settled at the bottom. This green stuff most likely was Cr2O3.

You can make stable peroxo complexes of chromium. I describe some of them on my website. The most stable one is K3CrO8, a very dark red compound, which can be made fairly easily.

The art of wondering makes life worth living...
Want to wonder? Look at https://woelen.homescience.net
Bedlasky
International Hazard

[*] posted on 20-9-2019 at 01:48

I know that CrO5 is unstable. But in organic solvent is far more stable than in water. I once try sec-amyl alcohol, but it isn't ideal because it react with CrO5. But ethyl-acetate is very good. CrO5 is stable in it for long time.

I finally decided buy only ethyl acetate because it have lower boiling point. Butyl acetate is used in simmilar way and I don't need 2l of solvents which I use only sometimes.

I discover that ethyl acetate is great solvent for extracting metal complexes.
Fery
National Hazard

[*] posted on 20-9-2019 at 06:02

Bedlasky, woelen told you about CrO5 stability, trust him.
The stability of ethylacetate in acidic or alkalic environment is quite limited so you must perform the extraction from non-neutral water solutions quickly. You can also use something more stable against hydrolysis like methylisobutylketone. Sometimes mixture of MIK and ester is used (e.g. amylacetate) 2:1 or 1:1 to avoid emulsification as in case of using only MIK.
Bedlasky
International Hazard

[*] posted on 20-9-2019 at 06:18

It seems you don't understand me. I know that CrO5 is unstable. In organic solvent is more stable. It doesn't mean that it is stable compound. I don't plan store CrO5. I just want it stable for few minutes.
Junk_Enginerd
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 20-9-2019 at 09:15

Ethyl acetate is easy to buy at least. Common nail polish remover is usually either acetone or ethyl acetate. The ethyl acetate kind is usually labelled acetone free.
Fery
National Hazard

[*] posted on 22-9-2019 at 12:22

@ Junk_Enginerd
Bedlasky is from the same country as me. We have quite cheap sources of chemical grade chemicals. Ethylacetate chem. c. purity (the chem. c. purity grade is used in our country and it means higher purity than analytical grade) 129 CZK per liter (5 EUR) https://www.funchem.cz/www-funchem-cz/eshop/2-1-ORGANICKE-LA...
Analytical grade purity costs only 65 CZK per liter (2,5 EUR).
Keras
National Hazard

[*] posted on 23-9-2019 at 04:34

Quote: Originally posted by Fery  

We have quite cheap sources of chemical grade chemicals.

It's a pity the website is all in Czech. Makes it impossible to order from elsewhere in Europe, despite prices in euro.

Yep, ethyl acetate is cheap, but you can also manufacture it yourself very easily from ethanol and acetic acid.

Go To Top