Sciencemadness Discussion Board
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Stainless steel & borosillicate glass straws - maybe useful for some things
RogueRose
International Hazard

[*] posted on 15-9-2019 at 19:30
Stainless steel & borosillicate glass straws - maybe useful for some things

I was looking to get a few pieces of SS tubing and the shipping (for 1ft of tube) was as much as buying a whole set on Ebay (though they are only 11" long), comes with 8 "straws" and 2 brushes.

The URL istoo long and doesn't work with this system but they are $6.50 for a set, shipped free from the US. The title of the page is:
" Reusable Stainless Steel Drinking Straws "
You'll find lots of options there. If you want glass, just replace Stainless with glass or borosillicate. They are a lot cheaper than buying from many of the normal glass or metal suppliers. I don't know the quality but depending on what you need it for, it might work well.

Does anyone know where stainless tubing is used in industry? Like what businesses/professions might use it? I've never seen it at hardware stores. I'd think maybe beverage supply houses might use it for things like carrying syrups but that might be all plastic now.

Anyway, these are basically cheap enough to be one time use and you get 2 brushes for your glass tubing!
XeonTheMGPony
International Hazard

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 16-9-2019 at 03:45

SS tube is used heavily in natural gas industry any industry dealing with hydrogen, and acetic acid production plants.
Morgan
International Hazard

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 16-9-2019 at 06:25

The steel straws are in grocery stores now and then, straight and bent ones. They are also starting to anodize them with loud colors.
The borosilicate straws maybe more so at high end stores, but perhaps they will become commonplace too.
The silicone drinking straws are useful for some things. They have three different diameters at grocery stores and lots of colors. I noticed the colors fade with use though.
A glass straw is being used here with a snip off of a fat pink silicone straw, the pink tip sleeved over the glass straw helps attract the birds as well as hold the glass straw in place. Or out of boredom some pink silicone over a 1 ml Kimax test tube and magnet, but I digress. Certainly there are many creative uses around the house and in chemistry for straws.
Yesterday I was changing 2 air filters and the metal vent cover wouldn't stay closed on one because one of the tabs broke off so I wedged a 3 cm piece of silicone tubing between it and the frame and it's better than hassling with those hard to actuate tabs that hold it closed.

101.JPG - 216kB 072.JPG - 183kB 059.JPG - 175kB

[Edited on 16-9-2019 by Morgan]

Go To Top