Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Gas Phase Reactor.
Steam
Hazard to Others

Mood: Triple Point

[*] posted on 22-9-2019 at 16:46
Gas Phase Reactor.

Hello all,
I have some wood chips which I am trying to react with an organic vapor at temperatures from 50C to 200C. I am trying to study the effect of temperature on the end product. I am running my experiments for up to two days and the volume of the wood chips is roughly 25 mL.

I have a tube furnace which 'kind-of' works- needs a new tube and stuff, but I feel like this is totally overkill. Thus I am consulting the free advice and experience of this community if you all know of any easy way to do this.
I would like to recycle the unused organic if I could, so direct discharge to the atmosphere is out of the question. I am also tying to run this reaction in the gas phase (no liquids)so as they are set up, something like a soxhlet is out of the question since the standing liquid phase would be counterproductive to what I am trying to test.

Perhaps there is some esoteric piece of glassware out there that is made for this application?

DISCLAIMER: The information in this post is provided for general informational purposes only and may not reflect the current law in your jurisdiction. No information contained in this post should be construed as legal advice from the individual author, nor is it intended to be a substitute for legal counsel on any subject matter. No reader of this post should act or refrain from acting on the basis of any information included in, or accessible through, this post without seeking the appropriate legal or other professional advice on the particular facts and circumstances at issue from a lawyer licensed in the recipient’s state, country or other appropriate licensing jurisdiction.
XeonTheMGPony
International Hazard

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 23-9-2019 at 16:33

Can you draw a basic concept schematic?

and what is your fabrication ability and supply access.
Sulaiman
International Hazard

Member Is Online

[*] posted on 23-9-2019 at 17:27

200oC is just ok for a cooking oil bath and a ptfe stirbar,
the flask may be scratched after days of dry stirring,
but all can be done with common lab equipment,
e.g. hotplate/stirrer, cooking oil, thermometer, flask with woodchips and gas,
what is the difficulty ?

CAUTION : Hobby Chemist, not Professional or even Amateur
Steam
Hazard to Others

Mood: Triple Point

[*] posted on 24-9-2019 at 15:50

Sorry,I guess I could have been a bit more clear.
Here is what I have come up with thus far (reactor on the right)... A 1L reaction kettle with a series of micro sieves holding up the wood chips off the bottom. I have an air condenser + addition funnel off to the side. I have a thermocouple adapter at the height of the the top of the sieve tower. All of this is insulated with foil so that the temperature reading off the thermocouple is above the boiling point of the organic.

The down side to this set up is that I have no way to ensure/ control flow of the organic as well as limited temperature control.

I hope this helps. (sorry for the messy fume-hood, it was clean yesterday ;) )

thumbnail_20190924_165136.jpg - 231kB

Edit: I have access to full machine shop for fabrication, and as for supplies I can order form all the usual scumbags (Sigma, Alfa, etc..).

[Edited on 24-9-2019 by Steam]

DISCLAIMER: The information in this post is provided for general informational purposes only and may not reflect the current law in your jurisdiction. No information contained in this post should be construed as legal advice from the individual author, nor is it intended to be a substitute for legal counsel on any subject matter. No reader of this post should act or refrain from acting on the basis of any information included in, or accessible through, this post without seeking the appropriate legal or other professional advice on the particular facts and circumstances at issue from a lawyer licensed in the recipient’s state, country or other appropriate licensing jurisdiction.

Go To Top